Great articles to read but I like to pull a couple of paragraphs from each article and to bring them to the board:

"Like the rabbis, we have come to associate the Akeda with Rosh Hashana and forgiveness of sins, but there is nothing in the biblical text that suggests this. Why did the rabbis chose to make the story of the Akeda such a central focus on the Day of Judgment?[2] Other than the obvious drama of a story which features a father willing to sacrifice his son on God’s command, I believe the rabbis are drawing our attention to an important biblical motif: God’s oath.[3]" Invoking the Original Oath God was Forced to Make

and, http://shma.com/2011/09/for-what-pur...-through-elul/

"I think that, davka on Yom Kippur, the day where we engage most deeply with God as Judge, where we constantly remind ourselves of our sins, constantly remind ourselves that we mortal and destined to transgress, yet God is perfect, and does no wrong…the story may not always be as simple as that. Ninety-nine percent of the time, when God makes demands of us, it is good and proper that we know it to be incumbent upon ourselves to meet those demands. But one percent of the time, the good and proper thing to do may be to debate the demand."

2nd comment/article, I have a tendency to believe. Like Abraham, when asked - especially over someone or something very close to us, we will argue the fact but knowing we could never win the argument. God asked Abraham to offer up the very person who is closest to him as to consider how long Abraham had been waiting for a son - why? In Genesis, God states that Abraham will have a descent, "4 Then the word of the Lord came to him: “This man will not be your heir, but a son who is your own flesh and blood will be your heir.” 5 He took him outside and said, “Look up at the sky and count the stars—if indeed you can count them.” Then he said to him, “So shall your offspring be.”

In a comment the author tells us, "Sometimes, when we are faced with a God who seems insurmountably intrusive or incomprehensibly tyrannical, we may actually be facing a God who is simply expecting us to step up and debate the point." ... See passage on Sodom and Gomorrah, God brings up the fact to Abraham that the city is about to be destroy, "20 Then the Lord said, “The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous 21 that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know.” But Abraham stays behind with the Lord, Genesis18 "25 Far be it from you to do such a thing—to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?” So how much more for Abraham's son - even when it came to the circumcision Abraham pleaded with God over Ishmael, "And Abraham said to God, “If only Ishmael might live under your blessing!”

Another - "Great" comment:

"We often speak of the covenantal partnership between God and Israel in terms of lovers, or parent and child, or king and servant. But I would argue there is another aspect: God and Israel are each other’s chavruta and bar palugta, partners not only in study, but in debate and argument for the sake of Torah study (and other relevant philosophy).

These are partners in debate and study who teach one another, who learn from one another, who spend time together in every part of life, who challenge one another in the best and most productive ways. And they also are those best suited to give one another tochechah."

How true! So very true when it comes to scriptural reading and asking to be enlighten by God's Wisdom and Knowledge - can't think of anyway other way than this to be closer to God.