Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Storing Guns safely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
    I raised 3 kids with guns always in the house. I kept them in my closet...loaded, but didn't have a round chambered. I always took my kids to the range and showed them the destructive power of guns. I let them shoot and handle them, taught them to never EVER point a gun at anything that they didn't plan to shoot. None of my kids ever got into the guns, and waved them around, or showed them to friends...I knew because I always closed it with a very small piece of colored thread in the edge of the gun case when I put it in the closet, if it was opened the thread would fall out.

AFAIK, there are no laws about storage of Firearms in Texas or my city. I have many friends who own a gun safe...which has the dual feature of preventing mishandling by children and preventing theft. I am considering buying one myself now for that purpose...as all my children are adults now. I do have a granddaughter who lives with us, but she has zero interest in guns at this point. But you can bet she will get some training in the near future from her Dad and Granddad on gun safety!
    I have two daughters. I also took them to the range and taught them about guns. The older one hated the noise, and decided she doesn't like guns - doesn't want to be around them. That's OK - she knows what they are, what they can do, how to safely handle them, etc...

The other daughter likes to go shooting with me. She really enjoys shooting, and also knows how to properly handle weapons.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I have two daughters. I also took them to the range and taught them about guns. The older one hated the noise, and decided she doesn't like guns - doesn't want to be around them. That's OK - she knows what they are, what they can do, how to safely handle them, etc...

The other daughter likes to go shooting with me. She really enjoys shooting, and also knows how to properly handle weapons.
      Shoots better than you doesn't she?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Shoots better than you doesn't she?
        No, that would be my wife.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          No, that would be my wife.
          Do you remember the episode on the old Andy Griffith Show where Andy starts dating a woman who turns out to be a champion skeet shooter who puts him in his place?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Do you remember the episode on the old Andy Griffith Show where Andy starts dating a woman who turns out to be a champion skeet shooter who puts him in his place?
            No, I'll have to hunt that down.

I was into competition shooting, and won a number of inter-departmental matches, and a number of others placing at least in the top 3.

When I started dating Mrs CP before she was Mrs CP (I still date her) I decided to take her down to the police range. I set up a target for her, gave her some pointers on stance, grip, breathing, etc, and told her "just go ahead and fire a couple times, then I'll give you some more pointers".

Her first shot was a dead-on bull's eye. Second shot just inside the outline of the bull's eye. Third shot - another dead-on bull's eye.

I told her, "OK, enough for today, we don't want to overdo it on our first day!"

Comment

Look for "The Perfect Female"

Comment