Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Halloween Research: A Case Study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halloween Research: A Case Study

Are you checking those claims you're making?

The link can be found here.

-------

How can we research claims? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Around Halloween, I always find myself debating with people who want to claim that Halloween is pagan and I'm compromising with the devil by celebrating the day. Of course, I've been accused of compromising in so many areas that it doesn't really affect me anymore. Many times, I'm told that what is being taught is common knowledge.

You know, like the fact that the Council of Nicea determined the New Testament canon, or that the ancients all believed the Earth was flat until Columbus sailed, or that the Dark Ages were a time where the church ruled the world and scientists were oppressed. These are claims that everyone knows. No need to back them.

Except these claims that everyone knows are just false.

Excuse me then if I grow skeptical, especially after finding out that such claims took for granted are just myths. If you want to tell me that a day is pagan, you'd better make a case. For anyone wanting to make this case about Halloween or Christmas or Easter or any other day, I have some rules for you to follow.

First off, find good sources. I'm sure your favorite pastor on television is a great guy and unless you're watching Word of Faith teachers, they probably really love Jesus. Unfortunately, they can also be wrong. Pastors can be just as credulous as anyone else can be.

For instance, recently a picture has been going around Facebook that has even been shared by a well-known Christian apologist. This is the image that is going around.

LaveyQuoteOnHalloween.jpg

Your average Christian reading this will be shocked by this. "My children are worshipping the devil?" Unfortunately, people on Facebook will take such a quote and run with it without bothering to answer some questions first. Here are some problems I notice with this meme.

Where did LaVey say this? There isn't a quote. There isn't a reference. There's nothing. Now at this point, what you can do is take some of it and put it in quotes in a search engine and see if anything comes up. When I did this, I got nothing. Therefore, until someone shows otherwise, I do not give the benefit of the doubt to a random quote on the internet. I need to see the evidence.

Second, why should I care? Seriously. LaVey thinks children are worshipping the devil. Well, what makes him right? Is he infallible in this area? Could it be that children are just playing games and eating candy? Even if the quote is an authentic quote, why should I believe it?

These questions weren't answered. Instead, the meme was just shared and a debate ensues immediately. Now notice in all of this that I have not claimed definitively yet that Halloween is not a pagan holiday. I have said that the claim has not been backed. So how can it be backed better?

I already spoke about preachers. If your preacher makes a claim like this, feel free to email him and ask him what his source for this claim is. Go and check that source. Look up what it says. What you especially want are historical sources close to the events under question. If you read about the Crusades, for instance, it would be better to have accounts from the time of the Crusades. An account 500 years later won't have information in it nearly as good. If you read scholars today on the Crusades, make sure they cite those earliest sources.

Maybe you have a website. Good for you. Unfortunately, websites can make bogus claims. If you want to say Halloween is stolen from the pagans because you found it on a website, then brace yourself. I can show you several websites that claim the idea of Jesus dying and rising again was stolen from the pagans and by your standards, you would have to believe it.

If you have a website source, you need to see who wrote the article and how knowledgeable are they on the subject in question. Anyone today can set up a website. That doesn't mean they are right.

"Hey Nick. You have a website as well. Do you want me to be suspicious of your claims?"

By all means be suspicious. Check out what I say. I am also not infallible. I can make mistakes. (Ask my wife. She'll be more than happy to testify.) Check what I say with the scholars in the field.

If your website has links, check those links out. I am a political conservative, but unfortunately, I have found that many conservative websites just link to other sites saying the same claim without any primary source being cited or without specifically named individuals being cited. I refuse to share such stories then. Sadly, I find many of my fellow conservatives don't think the same way that I do.

So let's suppose then that you've found the proof that Halloween or any other holiday was originally a pagan holiday. Wonderful. Is your work done? Not a bit. You have to show me why it matters today. That's an even more difficult argument to make.

The example I always use is wedding rings. Let's suppose you convinced me that wedding rings were pagan in origin. Am I taking mine off? Not a chance. Mine is a reminder constantly of the covenant relationship I made with my wife years ago. It is a covenant made with her before God and man. It was not done to honor any pagan deity. You need to show that my actions are intentional wrongdoing. Showing that people did something wrong years ago is not enough to show I am doing such today.

Also, just saying that you will not have anything to do with the works of darkness or anything like that doesn't work. That begs the question. Holiness, believe it or not, is not an argument. Because you think you are being holy in a position does not mean that you are being right. Just look at the Pharisees. These people were the ones who weren't hanging out with "sinners" like Jesus was because they were too holy for that. We all know which side was right in this case.

Be careful on the internet friends. If you're making truth claims, be ready to back them. This is especially so if you're one in the public eye. People will take your claims far more seriously. Test everything. Hold to that which is true.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

I've seen the meme (who hasn't?). Even if it's accurate, the question that comes to my mind is, "Is it possible to unintentionally worship something/someone?" The idea of "accidentally" worshiping the devil because you wore a costume on a certain day of the year just seems...well, completely absurd to me.

I don't really care about Halloween, but that's because I'm lazy and don't want to put any effort into making a costume.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I have to agree with those who say "Halloween is evil"

After a night of kids extorting candy from me, I am left with a whole bag full of left over chocolate, gummies, taffy, and candy bars. It stares at me and says "EAT ME!!! YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!!! JUST ONE PIECE WON'T HURT!!! DO IT!!!"

Evil incarnate.

nom.nom.nom.

Comment

Finally someone lays that meme to rest
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          I've seen the meme (who hasn't?). Even if it's accurate, the question that comes to my mind is, "Is it possible to unintentionally worship something/someone?" The idea of "accidentally" worshiping the devil because you wore a costume on a certain day of the year just seems...well, completely absurd to me.

I don't really care about Halloween, but that's because I'm lazy and don't want to put any effort into making a costume.
          yeah, that would mean that people were accidentally saved when they stubbed their toes and took the Lord's name in vain, or when you sneezed and someone says "God bless you"
          Last edited by Sparko; 11-02-2016, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            yeah, that would mean that people were accidentally saved when they stubbed their toes and took the Lord's name in vain, or when you sneezed and someone says "God bless you"
            "Worship" by definition would seem to require some measure of intent, so the idea that Halloween involves devil worship makes no sense to me.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              "Worship" by definition would seem to require some measure of intent, so the idea that Halloween involves devil worship makes no sense to me.
              at best they could stretch things reallllly far and say they are honoring the devil by dressing up to identify with him. but that is not what kids are doing. That would also mean that kids who dress up like angels were honoring God. Or cartoons. or whatever. Besides who thinks the devil looks like a red guy with horns? The bible describes Satan as one of God's most beautiful creations. Which is one of the reasons he got prideful and fell.

Comment

The Catholic feast known as all saints day which originally fell on May 13th and was moved to November 1st. Making October 31st All Hollows Eve - now commonly called Holloween.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Trick-or-treating is pretty much purely secular. All Hallows' Eve is one of the church's least effective attempts to co-opt a pagan festival and make it Christian, but the pagan part has mostly lost its religious significance. That said, not all that occurs on Hallowe'en is harmless; the occult can be fascinating, and this is the day the occult is most glorified and practiced. So is Hallowe'en bad? Yes and no; it depends what you do with it.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                    The Catholic feast known as all saints day which originally fell on May 13th and was moved to November 1st. Making October 31st All Hallows' Eve - now commonly called Halloween.
                    Corrected the spelling.
                    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Going by the "known by its fruit" principle, I don't see much good fruit coming out of Halloween.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        Going by the "known by its fruit" principle, I don't see much good fruit coming out of Halloween.
                        I don't see a lot of All Hallows' Eve being practiced either, except church festivals with candy and games. Maybe we should bring back a Halloween church service or somethin'. Maybe a little more talk with the Holy Spirit will put those little devils and witches and monsters in there place.
                        I am become death...

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post
                          I don't see a lot of All Hallows' Eve being practiced either, except church festivals with candy and games. Maybe we should bring back a Halloween church service or somethin'. Maybe a little more talk with the Holy Spirit will put those little devils and witches and monsters in there place.
                          And the church festivals are usually billed as "harvest parties" (which in my experience have zero to do with God - "hey, let's replace a secular practice with another one, only at church!" )
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Placing the question of the church's involvement entirely aside for a moment (as I agree it doesn't seem all that relevant), I think putting an increased focus on the harvest/fall aspect of the season is not a bad thing. I don't like Halloween but I like the idea of taking my kids to pick apples or go on hay rides.

I do think churches doing things like that is a lot more benign than the "hell houses" some conservative churches do.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment