Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Proposition 62 in California - Death Penalty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Meh. Given how difficult it tends to be to replicate psychology studies, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that they're mostly exercises in seeing what the researcher wants to see. Your scenario sounds a whole lot more like introvert vs. extrovert than anything else. And are you sure you want to pick SoR as a good example? He who had a complete meltdown earlier this year and had to take some time off?
    SoR is precisely an example of a person whose nature is to match the level of vitriol in a conversation. When they escalate he escalates. Perfectly fine example.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      so you are saying that uncivilized countries also don't use the death penalty. got it. I guess that pretty much destroys any point SL was trying to make. If civilized and uncivilized countries both have and don't have the death penalty, then what was the point again?
      Probably a fallacy of guilt by association.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
        SoR is precisely an example of a person whose nature is to match the level of vitriol in a conversation. When they escalate he escalates. Perfectly fine example.
        When they go low, we go high, right?
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
          Thanks for the insight, Bill. There's a lot here, so give me a couple days to really sink my teeth into it before I respond to your points.
          When a post is as inane as yours, it requires nothing but what I replied... The American justice system is about justice for the wronged and proportional punishment for the crime committed. The PRISON system may try to focus on rehabilitation, but the justice system itself does not.

And the death penalty, which is a judicial punishment assigned by a government, has nothing to do with Luke 6, which deals with interpersonal relationships. Crime and punishment are nowhere to be found in Luke 6.
          Last edited by Bill the Cat; 11-08-2016, 07:40 AM.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
            Logical fallacies are a personal strength of Bill the Cat.
            Sure it is, Mr. Appeal to Authority...
            That's what
            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Indeed,

Also, it occurs to me, the only country besides mine that uses the death penalty is also the only one where ritualistic suicide to atone for failures is part of the cultural DNA. I imagine that would explain things
              Guilt by association much?
              That's what
              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                When a post is as inane as yours, it requires nothing but what I replied... The American justice system is about justice for the wronged and proportional punishment for the crime committed. The PRISON system may try to focus on rehabilitation, but the justice system itself does not.

And the death penalty, which is a judicial punishment assigned by a government, has nothing to do with Luke 6, which deals with interpersonal relationships. Crime and punishment are nowhere to be found in Luke 6.
                The purpose of punishment is to rehabilitate. That's why we punish our kids, we hope that they will do things differently next time.

Luke 6 is about showing love instead of hatred and how everyone is a sinner so everyone should follow the golden rule. I think limiting it to relationships rather than society at large is doing it a disservice.

Comment

"Justice for the wronged" as a system is 100% arbitrary, and it's doubled down with "proportional punishment for the crime". They sound like nice concepts. If only they weren't semantically empty.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

The purpose of punishment is to rehabilitate.
                    The purpose of jail is to prevent people committing crimes.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                      "Justice for the wronged" as a system is 100% arbitrary, and it's doubled down with "proportional punishment for the crime". They sound like nice concepts. If only they weren't semantically empty.
                      Regardless, they are just that. No mater how vague, they still are what they are.
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The purpose of punishment is to rehabilitate.
                        The purpose of punishment is to punish. While a desirable end goal is rehabilitation, it isn't the purpose.

That's why we punish our kids, we hope that they will do things differently next time.
                        Exactly. A deterrent. We teach them that doing wrong has consequences, called punishment.

Luke 6 is about showing love instead of hatred and how everyone is a sinner so everyone should follow the golden rule. I think limiting it to relationships rather than society at large is doing it a disservice.
                        I don't. Jesus' teachings were always about our individual relationships and behavior. Never did He say what a government should do as a whole when meting out justice.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Look, I understand that you're sticking up for your buddy, but your assessment does not comport with reality. He not infrequently begins the escalation, and escalates beyond proprietry. He is quick to take a slight, and equally quick to reply back in spades.
                          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Look, I understand that you're sticking up for your buddy, but your assessment does not comport with reality. He not infrequently begins the escalation, and escalates beyond proprietry. He is quick to take a slight, and equally quick to reply back in spades.
                            All I do is give people back what they give out. I don't care if you're an atheist, a Christians, or a little green man from Mars.

If you show me respect and an effort to find common ground, I'll be a gentlemen throughout the conversation to you. But if you treat me unfairly or get nasty I can play that game too. If you can't take it then don't dish it out.

Comment

The purpose of punishment is to punish. While a desirable end goal is rehabilitation, it isn't the purpose. ... Exactly. A deterrent. We teach them that doing wrong has consequences, called punishment.
                              I call the changed behavior after a punishment rehabilitation.

I don't. Jesus' teachings were always about our individual relationships and behavior. Never did He say what a government should do as a whole when meting out justice.
                              Oh, I agree that his teachings were not concerned with government as a whole. I bring it up because this thread is about Prop 62 and his teachings should help Christians decide which vote is the correct moral choice.

Comment

I call the changed behavior after a punishment rehabilitation.
                                Indeed, but it is optional. For those who get multiple life terms though, there is no goal of rehabilitation at the end.

Oh, I agree that his teachings were not concerned with government as a whole. I bring it up because this thread is about Prop 62 and his teachings should help Christians decide which vote is the correct moral choice.
                                Well, it's a moot point at this time, so I'll just bow out.
                                That's what
                                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment