Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What was God doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was God doing?

For those of you who believe that the universe was created 14 billion years ago by an eternally existing deity, I'm wondering what it is you think that deity was doing for that eternal duration prior to that creation?

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    For those of you who believe that the universe was created 14 billion years ago by an eternally existing deity, I'm wondering what it is you think that deity was doing for that eternal duration prior to that creation?
    He existed in a state of eternal self-satisfaction contemplating its utter perfection.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Creating hell for people who ask such questions.

Or so goes the joke related by St Augustine. It is rather interesting that both Hawking and Vilenkin cite Augustine on this question. If time itself came into existence, it makes no sense to ask what was occurring before that. Even if one cannot accept the theological singularity of believing in an eternal God who is not limited by our own human and finite perception of time, why is it hard to acknowledge our own human limitations in understanding such ultimate realities? Some physicists speak of Euclidean time as a fourth spatial dimension or even one of 10 or 11 dimensions in string theory as mathematical attempts to answer this question. Trying to understand the math might not be much different than hell.
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

I would kindly suggest that you spend more time thinking about what God WILL do when you stand before Him.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I would kindly suggest that you spend more time thinking about what God WILL do when you stand before Him.
          Way to dismiss a perfectly reasonable question.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
            I thought robrecht gave an excellent response. Even amen'd him. So, it wasn't a 'dismissal', Sea -- it was a supplemental.

Same applies to you, by the way.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
              really? It was a nonsensical question. What did God do for the eternal duration before time existed?

That is a reasonable question?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                really? It was a nonsensical question. What did God do for the eternal duration before time existed?

That is a reasonable question?
                Even if God had always existed within time, any answer absent divine revelation would be spitballing.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Even if God had always existed within time, any answer absent divine revelation would be spitballing.
                  I'll go with bing-watching Netflix.

Comment

I'll go with bing-watching Netflix.
                    But He'd already know what all the future episodes of every tv show in existence would be! Everything is already spoiled for a Being with omniscience!
                    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                      But He'd already know what all the future episodes of every tv show in existence would be! Everything is already spoiled for a Being with omniscience!
                      He likes reruns.

Comment

He likes reruns.
                        Probably can't get enough of Gilligan's Island

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Probably can't get enough of Gilligan's Island
                          That must be why it took him so long to create the universe.

Comment

He likes reruns.
                            Except He could make up much better stories than we can.

Never mind, we are clearly turning this thread into a joke thread. Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer!
                            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                              Except He could make up much better stories than we can.
                              This was before he created the universe.

Comment