Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Your top political issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    If I remember correctly, you have stated that you are pro-life, ie, opposed to abortion. If so, do you nonetheless oppose this aspect of evangelical agenda in supreme court nominations?
    Being pro-life as a Baha'i does not translate to the extreme evangelical agenda of making all abortions illegal, even for many of those for various medical reasons. Actually many Christian believers and politicians support a similar view as I and those found in the Baha'i writings.

Source: http://www.bahaiquotes.com/quotepage.php?Quotes%2FAbortion

Abortion and surgical operations for the purpose of preventing the birth of unwanted children are forbidden in the Cause unless there are circumstances which justify such actions on medical grounds, in which case the decision, at present, is left to the consciences of those concerned who must carefully weigh the medical advice in the light of the general guidance given in the Teachings. Beyond this nothing has been found in the Writings concerning specific methods or procedures to be used in family planning. It should be pointed out, however, that the Teachings state that the soul appears at conception, and that therefore it would be improper to use such a method, the effect of which would be to produce an abortion after conception has taken place.
    (Universal House of Justice, Lights of Guidance, p. 344)

Abortion merely to prevent the birth of an unwanted child is strictly forbidden in the Cause. There may, however, be instances in which an abortion would be justified by medical reasons, and legislation on this matter has been left to the Universal House of Justice. At the present time, however, the House of Justice does not intend to legislate on this very delicate issue, and therefore it is left to the consciences of those concerned who must carefully weigh the medical advice in the light of the general guidance given in the teachings.
    (Universal House of Justice, Lights of Guidance, p. 343)

© Copyright Original Source

In general the Baha'i does not support legislation as an answer to the problems of abortion. There are other quotes that support that the advances in science, and the spiritual maturity of humanity will resolve the problems without the ineffective efforts to force this through legislation.

If the concern is pro-life, the history of Christianity is highly questionable on the consistency of the issue of the sanctity of life. Other problems complicate the Christian view of some churches like forbidding birth control.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-06-2016, 09:41 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      Being pro-life as a Baha'i does not translate to the extreme evangelical agenda of making all abortions illegal, even for many of those for various medical reasons. Actually many Christian believers and politicians support a similar view as I and those found in the Baha'i writings.

Source: http://www.bahaiquotes.com/quotepage.php?Quotes%2FAbortion

Abortion and surgical operations for the purpose of preventing the birth of unwanted children are forbidden in the Cause unless there are circumstances which justify such actions on medical grounds, in which case the decision, at present, is left to the consciences of those concerned who must carefully weigh the medical advice in the light of the general guidance given in the Teachings. Beyond this nothing has been found in the Writings concerning specific methods or procedures to be used in family planning. It should be pointed out, however, that the Teachings state that the soul appears at conception, and that therefore it would be improper to use such a method, the effect of which would be to produce an abortion after conception has taken place.
      (Universal House of Justice, Lights of Guidance, p. 344)

Abortion merely to prevent the birth of an unwanted child is strictly forbidden in the Cause. There may, however, be instances in which an abortion would be justified by medical reasons, and legislation on this matter has been left to the Universal House of Justice. At the present time, however, the House of Justice does not intend to legislate on this very delicate issue, and therefore it is left to the consciences of those concerned who must carefully weigh the medical advice in the light of the general guidance given in the teachings.
      (Universal House of Justice, Lights of Guidance, p. 343)

© Copyright Original Source

In general the Baha'i does not support legislation as an answer to the problems of abortion. There are other quotes that support that the advances in science, and the spiritual maturity of humanity will resolve the problems without the ineffective efforts to force this through legislation.

If the concern is pro-life, the history of Christianity is highly questionable on the consistency of the issue of the sanctity of life. Other problems complicate the Christian view of some churches like forbidding birth control.
      Do you think that all abortions should be legal?
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Do you think that all abortions should be legal?
        Of course not, but is this a trick question trying to bait me? I have made my views clear as that of the Baha'i Faith as referenced. The Supreme Court has limited abortion, and that is presently the law of the land.

The Baha'i Faith works world wide to reduce abortions by teaching the values of the sanctity of life.
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-06-2016, 02:55 PM.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Of course not, but is this a trick question trying to bait me? I have made my views clear as that of the Baha'i Faith as referenced. The Supreme Court has limited abortion, and that is presently the law of the land.

The Baha'i Faith works world wide to reduce abortions by teaching the values of the sanctity of life.
          Of course it is not a trick question. Why would you think it is? Do you think that the Supreme Court should limit abortions more than whatever current limitations are allowed as constitutional currently?

Comment

Of course it is not a trick question. Why would you think it is? Do you think that the Supreme Court should limit abortions more than whatever current limitations are allowed as constitutional currently?
            I made my views specifically clear and those of the Baha'i Faith. More bait! My views and those of the Baha'i Faith have been made clear and specific. End of discussion.

Frank

Comment

I made my views specifically clear and those of the Baha'i Faith. More bait! My views and those of the Baha'i Faith have been made clear and specific. End of discussion.
              I don't think you've made your views clear on how you think the Supreme Court should treat this matter. Hence my question. No reason to be so suspicious, Shuny. If you do not have any specific views about this, or if you do not want to make your views known about this, simply say so.

Comment

Shuny, Robs not trying to bait you and probably just didn't read the threads where you've made your beliefs more clear. He's one of the forthright types here

Comment

I don't think you've made your views clear on how you think the Supreme Court should treat this matter. Hence my question. No reason to be so suspicious, Shuny. If you do not have any specific views about this, or if you do not want to make your views known about this, simply say so.
                  OK! No! End of discussion.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                    Shuny, Robs not trying to bait you and probably just didn't read the threads where you've made your beliefs more clear. He's one of the forthright types here
                    My beliefs are forthright, and clear, and they are represented by my citations in this thread from the Baha'i Faith.

I will add that the present medical system, technology, and legal system is not capable to deal with the radical extreme forced pro-life evangelical agenda, which would result in a multitude of legal, social and medical problems.
                    Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-06-2016, 03:46 PM.

Frank

Comment

Mm,

I have a feeling you, like myself, would much rather work on fixing poverty which would directly reduce the number of abortions than the counter-productive nonsense that TRAP and other restrictions amount to.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                        Mm,

I have a feeling you, like myself, would much rather work on fixing poverty which would directly reduce the number of abortions than the counter-productive nonsense that TRAP and other restrictions amount to.
                        Correct! The problem is under the present legal system, medical system, and social conditions such laws and court decisions would put an unnecessary burden on the poor, and the rich can easily ignore such laws.

Frank

Comment

Correct! The problem is under the present legal system, medical system, and social conditions such laws and court decisions would put an unnecessary burden on the poor, and the rich can easily ignore such laws.
                          Yep! You might enjoy this article then.

Actually, the guy has like 6 posts on christianpost.com

http://www.christianpost.com/author/eric-sapp/

And they're pretty good. He has an article on the Halpin emails thats really close to what Spartacus came up with in his thread. I think I'm going to start reading this guy more.
                          Last edited by Jaecp; 11-06-2016, 04:42 PM.

Comment