Thread: 1 Samuel 19:13

Undergraduate
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

1 Samuel 19:13

Why would Michal, daughter of Saul and wife of David, have an idol in their household? I mean "no other gods before me" and "no graven images" immediately come to mind. Can anyone explain this?

13 Then Michal took the household idol and laid it on the bed with a cover of goat hair placed at its head. Then she covered it with clothes. (ISV)

H8655

Original: תּרפים
    Transliteration: terâphı̂ym
    Phonetic: ter-aw-feme'
    BDB Definition:
    idolatry, idols, image(s), teraphim, family idol
    a kind of idol used in household shrine or worship
    Origin: pl. from H7495
    TWOT entry: 2545
    Part(s) of speech: Noun Masculine
    Strong's Definition: Plural perhaps from H7495; a healer ; Teraphim (singular or plural) a family idol: - idols (-atry), images, teraphim.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Even those who were with Moses decided to make the golden calf, and Aaron was one of them. Not really surprising to me.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It must have been life-size in order to pass for somebody lying in bed. I had wondered if it was a mannequin or something on which to sew garments the right size.

4. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faber View Post
    It must have been life-size in order to pass for somebody lying in bed. I had wondered if it was a mannequin or something on which to sew garments the right size.
    That's kind of what I was thinking. Maybe the word used was also used for dummy's or statues and not just of gods. Could be something to hang armor on for instance. Or just decorative. It is mentioned very matter of factly. If it were an actual idol, I would think it would be more significant to the tale.
    Of course, this was Saul's palace and Saul wasn't exactly orthodox and he could have had idols around. His faithlessness was one reason God was replacing him with David.
    Last edited by Sparko; 11-07-2016 at 06:23 PM.

Undergraduate
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But that is not how Thayer and Strong interprept the Hebrew word. They interprept it as something used in worship which is completely contrary to God's commandment.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Civilwarbuff View Post
    But that is not how Thayer and Strong interprept the Hebrew word. They interprept it as something used in worship which is completely contrary to God's commandment.
    Thayer and Strong aren't infallible. Even if they are right, there isn't really any reason we should expect Michal to be theologically pure.

8. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    jehovah's witness
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It would seem that idol worship had been and still was a trap that Jews fell into, this is just one example.
    Latter the whole nation was destroyed by God for doing such like and other wicked things and sent to Babylon were it came from!
    BU