Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

1 Samuel 19:13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Samuel 19:13

Why would Michal, daughter of Saul and wife of David, have an idol in their household? I mean "no other gods before me" and "no graven images" immediately come to mind. Can anyone explain this?

13 Then Michal took the household idol and laid it on the bed with a cover of goat hair placed at its head. Then she covered it with clothes. (ISV)

H8655

Original: תּרפים
    Transliteration: terâphı̂ym
    Phonetic: ter-aw-feme'
    BDB Definition:
    idolatry, idols, image(s), teraphim, family idol
    a kind of idol used in household shrine or worship
    Origin: pl. from H7495
    TWOT entry: 2545
    Part(s) of speech: Noun Masculine
    Strong's Definition: Plural perhaps from H7495; a healer ; Teraphim (singular or plural) a family idol: - idols (-atry), images, teraphim.

Even those who were with Moses decided to make the golden calf, and Aaron was one of them. Not really surprising to me.

Comment

It must have been life-size in order to pass for somebody lying in bed. I had wondered if it was a mannequin or something on which to sew garments the right size.
      When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
        It must have been life-size in order to pass for somebody lying in bed. I had wondered if it was a mannequin or something on which to sew garments the right size.
        That's kind of what I was thinking. Maybe the word used was also used for dummy's or statues and not just of gods. Could be something to hang armor on for instance. Or just decorative. It is mentioned very matter of factly. If it were an actual idol, I would think it would be more significant to the tale.
        Of course, this was Saul's palace and Saul wasn't exactly orthodox and he could have had idols around. His faithlessness was one reason God was replacing him with David.
        Last edited by Sparko; 11-07-2016, 01:23 PM.

Comment

But that is not how Thayer and Strong interprept the Hebrew word. They interprept it as something used in worship which is completely contrary to God's commandment.

Comment

Originally posted by Civilwarbuff View Post
            But that is not how Thayer and Strong interprept the Hebrew word. They interprept it as something used in worship which is completely contrary to God's commandment.
            Thayer and Strong aren't infallible. Even if they are right, there isn't really any reason we should expect Michal to be theologically pure.

Comment

It would seem that idol worship had been and still was a trap that Jews fell into, this is just one example.
              Latter the whole nation was destroyed by God for doing such like and other wicked things and sent to Babylon were it came from!
              BU

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X