Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marijuana Legalization

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Marijuana Legalization

There is a proposition on the ballot in favor of legalizing marijuana in California. What are the best arguments in favor of and against the legalization of marijuana?

tWebber
    Faith
    Jedi
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Against? The usual fear mongering, but that is blunted by the half dozen states with recreational weed and the way medical marijuana has been abused for casual use since its inception. The only good arguments are going to be ones dealing with specific parts of the individual bill like "does this provide enough revenue" or whatever. I don't know California's law so I can't comment on anything like that. Also, plenty of decent arguments are impossible to make because of the existence and easy access Americans have to Tobacco, Alcohol and Prescription Medications.

For? Pretty easy. Negative side effects from the illegal drugs come primarily in 2 forms. First, the side effects of the substances themselves and, Second, from the competition between groups wishing to profit from it. Legalization blunts the latter by removing their ability to make a profit and for the former Marijuana's active effects are not substantively different from that of alcohol --better in many ways-- and the side effects are mild to say the least.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There are no good arguments against it. Done.
    Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

4. Amen shunyadragon amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Non-Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaecp View Post
    Also, plenty of decent arguments are impossible to make because of the existence and easy access Americans have to Tobacco, Alcohol and Prescription Medications.
    This. The better route seems to be legalization followed by altering public perception (cigarettes, anyone?).
    I'm not here anymore.

6. Amen Jaecp, stfoskey15 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A comparison of countries around the world seems to show that legalizing, taxing and regulating all drugs is the best policy. Such a policy would help the US move towards properly addressing the opioid epidemic, and stabilize Latin American countries by ending the drug war and dissolving the power of the drug lords there.

Prohibition on alcohol was historical one of the great policy failures in the Western world and empowered mob bosses who controlled large smuggling operations, and eventually it was found that legalizing alcohol was simply the better option. We see the same results today from applying the policies of the Prohibition era to drugs, and would likely see a similar improvement through legalization.
    Last edited by Starlight; 11-07-2016 at 04:13 PM.

8. Amen shunyadragon amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Legalize it all.
    The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

10. Amen Jedidiah, The Thinker amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Against? The usual fear mongering, but that is blunted by the half dozen states with recreational weed and the way medical marijuana has been abused for casual use since its inception. The only good arguments are going to be ones dealing with specific parts of the individual bill like "does this provide enough revenue" or whatever. I don't know California's law so I can't comment on anything like that. Also, plenty of decent arguments are impossible to make because of the existence and easy access Americans have to Tobacco, Alcohol and Prescription Medications.

For? Pretty easy. Negative side effects from the illegal drugs come primarily in 2 forms. First, the side effects of the substances themselves and, Second, from the competition between groups wishing to profit from it. Legalization blunts the latter by removing their ability to make a profit and for the former Marijuana's active effects are not substantively different from that of alcohol --better in many ways-- and the side effects are mild to say the least.
    You could argue that you are taking money out of drug dealer's pockets by legalizing pot. which means they will have to either sell harsher drugs, or do something else (probably criminal) to get money.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

I see what you did there...
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

13. Amen Jaecp amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    You could argue that you are taking money out of drug dealer's pockets by legalizing pot. which means they will have to either sell harsher drugs, or do something else (probably criminal) to get money.
    For most folks who sell pot it isn't their primary source of income but more of a subsidy, often done to pay for their own drugs.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We should legalization reefer, make opioids a medical issue, let any doctor prescribe them to addicts and shoot crack dealers on sight. There, all done.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...