Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

John

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John 1:24

Text: (NA27):
    Καὶ ἀπεσταλμένοι ἦσαν ἐκ τῶν Φαρισαίων.

Transliteration (Accordance):
    Kai apestalmenoi ēsan ek tōn Pharisaiōn.

Translation (NRSV):
    Now they had been sent from the Pharisees.

Grammatical Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG, meanings in this context):
    ἀπεσταλμένοι : perfect passive participle of ἀποστέλλω send ; without article there had been sent (some) of (literally "out of, from among") the Pharisees..

Comment

John 1:25

καὶ ἠρώτησαν αὐτὸν καὶ εἶπαν αὐτῷ· τί οὖν βαπτίζεις εἰ σὺ οὐκ εἶ ὁ χριστὸς οὐδὲ Ἠλίας οὐδὲ ὁ προφήτης;

kai ērōtēsan auton kai eipan autō̧; ti oun baptizeis ei sy ouk ei ho christos oude Ēlias oude ho prophētēs?

Translation (NRSV):
      They asked him, “Why then are you baptizing if you are neither the Messiah, nor Elijah, nor the prophet?”

ἠρώτησαν : aorist of ἐρωτάω ask ; ἠρώτησαν αὐτὸν καὶ εἶπαν a Semitism ; in John an indicative often replaces the pleonastic participle found in the Synoptics.
      τί; = διὰ τί; why?
      εἰ : with indicative if therefore, if indeed (as you say), a real condition.

Comment

John 1:26-27

ἀπεκρίθη αὐτοῖς ὁ Ἰωάννης λέγων· ἐγὼ βαπτίζω ἐν ὕδατι· μέσος ὑμῶν ἕστηκεν ὃν ὑμεῖς οὐκ οἴδατε

apekrithē autois ho Iōannēs legōn; egō baptizō en hydati; mesos hymōn hestēken hon hymeis ouk oidate

Translation (NRSV):
        John answered them, “I baptize with water. Among you stands one whom you do not know

ἀπεκρίθη : aorist deponent ἀποκρίνομαι answer.
        ἐν : with, instrumental.
        ὕδατι : dative of ὕδωρ water.
        μέσος : middle ; in the midst, among.
        ἕστηκεν : perfect (intransitive with present meaning) of ἵστημι stand

Comment

John 1:26 repeated to correct typo

ἀπεκρίθη αὐτοῖς ὁ Ἰωάννης λέγων· ἐγὼ βαπτίζω ἐν ὕδατι· μέσος ὑμῶν ἕστηκεν ὃν ὑμεῖς οὐκ οἴδατε

apekrithē autois ho Iōannēs legōn; egō baptizō en hydati; mesos hymōn hestēken hon hymeis ouk oidate

Translation (NRSV):
          John answered them, “I baptize with water. Among you stands one whom you do not know

ἀπεκρίθη : aorist deponent ἀποκρίνομαι answer.
          ἐν : with, instrumental.
          μέσος : middle ; in the midst, among.
          ἕστηκεν : perfect (intransitive with present meaning) of ἵστημι stand

Comment

John 1:27

ὁ ὀπίσω μου ἐρχόμενος, οὗ οὐκ εἰμὶ [ἐγὼ] ἄξιος ἵνα λύσω αὐτοῦ τὸν ἱμάντα τοῦ ὑποδήματος.

ho opisō mou erchomenos, hou ouk eimi [egō] axios hina lysō autou ton himanta tou hypodēmatos.

Translation (NRSV):
            the one who is coming after me; I am not worthy to untie the thong of his sandal.”

ὁ ὀπίσω μου ἐρχόμενος : verse 15.
            ἄξιος : worthy.
            ἵνα : for infinitive ("worthy that" instead of "worthy to").
            λύσω : aorist subjunctive of λύω loose, untie.
            ἱμάς, -άντος, ὁ : a strap, thong (on a sandal).
            ὑποδήμα , -ατος, τό : something tied under (αποδέω) sc. the foot, sandal.

Comment

John 1:28

ταῦτα ἐν Βηθανίᾳ ἐγένετο πέραν τοῦ Ἰορδάνου, ὅπου ἦν ὁ Ἰωάννης βαπτίζων.

tauta en Bēthania̧ egeneto peran tou Iordanou, hopou ēn ho Iōannēs baptizōn.

Translation (NRSV):
              This took place in Bethany across the Jordan where John was baptizing.

ἐγένετο : aorist of γίνομαι came about, happened verse 3.
              πέραν : with genitive across, on the other side of.

Comment

John 1:29

Τῇ ἐπαύριον βλέπει τὸν Ἰησοῦν ἐρχόμενον πρὸς αὐτὸν καὶ λέγει· ἴδε ὁ ἀμνὸς τοῦ θεοῦ ὁ αἴρων τὴν ἁμαρτίαν τοῦ κόσμου.

Tȩ̄ epaurion blepei ton Iēsoun erchomenon pros auton kai legei; ide ho amnos tou theou ho airōn tēn hamartian tou kosmou.

Translation (NRSV):
                The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him and declared, “Here is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!

ἐπαύριον : adverb tomorrow ; τῇ ἐπαύριον (sc. ἡμέρα day) (on) the following day.
                πρὸς αὐτόν : disregard of reflexive pronoun ("...Hebrew and Aramaic suffix pronouns do not distinguish reflexive from non-reflexive" ― BG §208ff.)
                ἴδε : aorist imperative of ὁράω here treated as an exclamation like ἰδού prompter of attention, behold, look, see. Like הִנֵּה it sometimes serves to enliven a narrative.
                ἀμνός : lamb, on nominative, see ἴδε above.
                αἴρων : participle of αἴρω atemporal, characterizing the subject, though possibly for future participle who is to take away.
                ἡ ἁμαρτία : article generic sin.

Comment

John 1:30

οὗτός ἐστιν ὑπὲρ οὗ ἐγὼ εἶπον· ὀπίσω μου ἔρχεται ἀνὴρ ὃς ἔμπροσθέν μου γέγονεν, ὅτι πρῶτός μου ἦν.

houtos estin hyper hou egō eipon; opisō mou erchetai anēr hos emprosthen mou gegonen, hoti prōtos mou ēn.

Translation (NRSV):
                  This is he of whom I said, ‘After me comes a man who ranks ahead of me because he was before me.’

ὑπέρ : for περί with the genitive to denote the object or person to which (whom) an activity or especially inward process refers or relates, about, concerning.
                  ἐγώ : I, not necessarily emphatic.
                  ὀπίσω ... πρῶτός : verse 15.

Comment

John 1:31

κἀγὼ οὐκ ᾔδειν αὐτόν, ἀλλ᾿ ἵνα φανερωθῇ τῷ Ἰσραὴλ διὰ τοῦτο ἦλθον ἐγὼ ἐν ὕδατι βαπτίζων.

kagō ouk ȩ̄dein auton, all’ hina phanerōthȩ̄ tō̧ Israēl dia touto ēlthon egō en hydati baptizōn.

Translation (NRSV):
                    I myself did not know him; but I came baptizing with water for this reason, that he might be revealed to Israel.”

κἀγώ : καὶ ἐγώ.
                    ᾔδειν : pluperfect (with imperfect meaning) of οἶδα: κἀγὼ οὐκ ᾔδειν nor did I know.
                    φανερωθῇ : aorist passive subjunctive of φανερόω make clear/visible, reveal.
                    διὰ τοῦτο : for this reason.
                    ἐν : instrumental with.
                    βαπτίζων : present, perhaps for future participle of βαπτίζω baptize.

Comment

John 1:32

Καὶ ἐμαρτύρησεν Ἰωάννης λέγων ὅτι τεθέαμαι τὸ πνεῦμα καταβαῖνον ὡς περιστερὰν ἐξ οὐρανοῦ καὶ ἔμεινεν ἐπ᾿ αὐτόν.

Kai emartyrēsen Iōannēs legōn hoti tetheamai to pneuma katabainon hōs peristeran ex ouranou kai emeinen ep’ auton.

Translation (NRSV):
                      And John testified, “I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him.

ἐμαρτύρησεν : aorist of μαρτυρέω testify.
                      ὅτι = "...
                      τεθέαμαι : perfect of θεάομαι behold, observe ; see.
                      καταβαῖνον : neuter participle of καταβαίνω.
                      περιστερά : dove.
                      ἔμεινεν : aorist of μένω here, rest.

Comment

1:32 repost to include inadvertent omission

Καὶ ἐμαρτύρησεν Ἰωάννης λέγων ὅτι τεθέαμαι τὸ πνεῦμα καταβαῖνον ὡς περιστερὰν ἐξ οὐρανοῦ καὶ ἔμεινεν ἐπ᾿ αὐτόν.

Kai emartyrēsen Iōannēs legōn hoti tetheamai to pneuma katabainon hōs peristeran ex ouranou kai emeinen ep’ auton.

Translation (NRSV):
                        And John testified, “I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him.

ἐμαρτύρησεν : aorist of μαρτυρέω testify.
                        ὅτι = "...
                        τεθέαμαι : perfect of θεάομαι behold, observe ; see.
                        καταβαῖνον : neuter participle of καταβαίνω.
                        περιστερά : dove.
                        ἔμεινεν : aorist of μένω here, rest.
                        ἐπ᾿ = ἐπί upon.
                        αὐτόν : him.

Comment

John 1:33

κἀγὼ οὐκ ᾔδειν αὐτόν, ἀλλ᾿ ὁ πέμψας με βαπτίζειν ἐν ὕδατι ἐκεῖνός μοι εἶπεν· ἐφ᾿ ὃν ἂν ἴδῃς τὸ πνεῦμα καταβαῖνον καὶ μένον ἐπ᾿ αὐτόν, οὗτός ἐστιν ὁ βαπτίζων ἐν πνεύματι ἁγίῳ.

kagō ouk ȩ̄dein auton, all’ ho pempsas me baptizein en hydati ekeinos moi eipen; eph’ hon an idȩ̄s to pneuma katabainon kai menon ep’ auton, houtos estin ho baptizōn en pneumati hagiō̧.

Translation (NRSV):
                          I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain is the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’

πέμψας : aorist participle of πέμπω send.
                          ἐφ᾿ = ἐπί on.
                          ὃν ἄν : on whomsoever, anyone on whom, with aorist subjunctive referring to the future.
                          ἴδῃς : aorist subjunctive of ὁράω see.
                          μένον : neuter participle of μένω remain.
                          ἐπ᾿ αὐτόν : pleonastic after ἐφ᾿ ὅν.

Comment

John 1:34

κἀγὼ ἑώρακα καὶ μεμαρτύρηκα ὅτι οὗτός ἐστιν ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ θεοῦ.

kagō heōraka kai memartyrēka hoti houtos estin ho huios tou theou.

Translation (NRSV):
                            And I myself have seen and have testified that this is the Son of God.

ἑώρακα : perfect of ὁράω see.
                            μεμαρτύρηκα : perfect of μαρτυρέω testify ; perhaps a servile rendering of the Hebrew perfect which can stand for the present, I bear witness.

Comment

John 1:35

Τῇ ἐπαύριον πάλιν εἱστήκει ὁ Ἰωάννης καὶ ἐκ τῶν μαθητῶν αὐτοῦ δύο

Tȩ̄ epaurion palin heistēkei ho Iōannēs kai ek tōn mathētōn autou dyo

Translation (NRSV):
                              The next day John again was standing with two of his disciples

ἐπαύριον : adverb tomorrow ; τῇ ἐπαύριον (sc. ἡμέρᾳ day) (on) the following day.
                              εἱστήκει : was standing pluperfect of ἵστημι (perfect ἕστηκα intransitive with present meaning).
                              ἐκ : for partitive genitive.

Comment

John 1:36

καὶ ἐμβλέψας τῷ Ἰησοῦ περιπατοῦντι λέγει· ἴδε ὁ ἀμνὸς τοῦ θεοῦ.

kai emblepsas tō̧ Iēsou peripatounti legei; ide ho amnos tou theou.

Translation (NRSV):
                                and as he watched Jesus walk by, he exclaimed, “Look, here is the Lamb of God!”

ἐμβλέψας : fixed his eyes on, aorist participle of ἐμβλέπω look at, intensive.
                                περιπατοῦντι : participle of περιπατέω to go here and there in walking, go about, walk around ; dative in agreement with τῷ Ἰησοῦ.
                                ἴδε : aorist imperative of ὁράω here treated as an exclamation like ἰδού prompter of attention, behold, look, see.. Like הִנֵּה it sometimes serves to enliven a narrative.
                                ἀμνός : lamb.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X