Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: The Flowers and the Wedding -- Just the FACTS, please

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Well if they were discriminating on couples based on "genetics" or even "being gay" then why would they sell them products for other occasions?
    You'll have to ask them. I don't see it as relevant, for the reasons noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Which they did. They were against the Gay Wedding and being forced to create something that implied they were accepting of gay marriage.
    "Providing a service" does not translate to "accepting the views." Hotels provide facilities for gatherings. That does not mean they endorse the positions/ideals of every group that books the facilities.

And I note that you did NOT take me up on my invitation to tell me exactly where that line of reasoning was wrong or untrue in my previous post.
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 06-10-2019 at 09:37 AM.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    ETA: OK - I can't resist - but only because you've tugged my chain on this so often.... Last word...?
    When I said that, it was totally in a Carpeian "I don't really mean it at all" sort of way.

You can have the last word.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    Here we go - Problem Solvered.

Attachment 37558
    Ar you under the impression you've made a substantive contribution to the debate?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    When I said that, it was totally in a Carpeian "I don't really mean it at all" sort of way.

You can have the last word.
    Actually - Carpe usually does mean it...but then either forgets he said it or cannot resist responding to a particularly provocative post.

But I'm working on it!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There is no way to say "that position is bigoted" without causing offense. Nobody likes to hear that they hold bigoted views. That does not mean they are not bigoted views. If you want me to be politically correct to avoid treading on your sensibilities, you've come to the wrong place. I prefer to name a thing for what it is.
    Calling a train a boat doesn't mean it can sail. You calling something bigoted does mean it IS bigoted.

Of course, that doesn't mean it isn't discriminatory. Refusing to allow someone to set up an olympic swimming pool in the middle of your baseball diamond would be equally discriminatory.
    Last edited by tabibito; 06-10-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

6. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    1) A and B can marry or be intimate because they have differing genitals
    2) C and D cannot marry or be intimate because they have matching genitals

This is the heart of the moral statement.
    The only difference between the two statements is the genitals of the participants
    Genitals are genetically determined. Ergo - what makes the act moral or immoral is the genetic makeup of its participants.

The baker and florist are refusing a service because the participants are same sex
    Ergo - they are making a decision rooted in the genetics of the participants.

While you may want to label it "ridiculous" or "idiotic," the logic seems pretty inescapable to me. But feel free to point to which part of that sequence is not true.
    Are you really back to this nonsense Carp? You arbitrarily define the logical parameters, then claim victory if one doesn't meet your standard. And why can't morality be rooted in the genetics? Like a man and his sheep? Why not gender?

male+female=moral

male+male=immoral

female+female=immoral

perfectly logical.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    Calling a train a boat doesn't mean it can sail. You calling something bigoted does mean it IS bigoted.
    OK, if I am reading you correctly, you believe that a thing is bigoted/prejudiced simply if it is labeled as such by someone? I don't follow that line of reasoning at all.

I use the terms "bigoted" and "prejudiced" when one group of people is being held to a different standard than another group for reasons that are not associated with the differences between the groups. That is what racism is/does. A person is treated according to their membership in a particular race and a bias the person has about the status of that race (i.e., they are inferior, evil, etc.).

I think I have been fairly clear as to why I hold this view about homosexuality and same-sex unions/intimacy. I have outlined it several times now. I will change my view on whether or not the views are bigoted/prejudiced is someone can show me that they actually are not bigoted/prejudiced. I don't know how you can do that, however. The moral prohibition and "sinful" declaration is completely rooted in genetic identity - as I have shown. Not a single person has actually addressed the core of the argument. Well, Sparko sort of did. He at least acknowledged the argument had been made, and then responded to it by calling it "idiotic." Not much of a rebuttal, but pretty common here.

We might get somewhere if people would actually address the argument, instead of the person making it.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Are you really back to this nonsense Carp? You arbitrarily define the logical parameters, then claim victory if one doesn't meet your standard. And why can't morality be rooted in the genetics? Like a man and his sheep? Why not gender?
    I wondered when you'd be back.

I have already addressed beastiality. While I find it repugnant, I don't find it immoral for the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    male+female=moral

male+male=immoral

female+female=immoral

perfectly logical.
    And entirely rooted in a person's membership in a class. We used to make a similar argument

black + black = moral
    white + white = moral
    white + black = immoral

And we claimed it was perfectly logical then too. That didn't stop it from being a racist/bigoted/prejudicial view.

This one is not racist. It would be better described as genderist or sexist. But it is bigoted and prejudicial, for the same reasons. Morality is being rooted in a persons genetic identity, ironically by many of the very people that object to "identity politics." But apparently "identity morality" is no problem.

I don't agree.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    As thread owner, I'm going to insist that we honor the OP....

Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Once again, I'm asking that we refrain from name calling, and just calmly discuss the facts of the case.

Yeah, I know, this horse has been whipped to death, but it just won't lay down and die.

What I want to know is simple, but I can't seem to find the actual answer in the news articles I've searched, including the "Queer Nation" website and others.

Here's the question....
    Did Stuzman (the florist) refuse to sell "flowers"? Or did she decline to provide the SERVICE of arranging the flowers at the wedding?

Let's establish that fact first, before arguing whether it matters or not. (To some of us it will matter, to others it won't)

Here's Stutzman's account

Source: NYDaily News

He said he decided to get married, and before he got through I grabbed his hand and said, I am sorry. I can't do your wedding because of my relationship with Jesus Christ," Stutzman said. She said it was the only wedding she had declined in 37 years.

© Copyright Original Source

In stories that appear to favor Stutzman, there's the additional statement to the effect "he said he understood and respected my belief, and we hugged", but that's missing from the stories that tend to favor the Ingersoll and Freed.

Again....

Is it known that what she was refusing/declining was "selling" the flowers? Or was it "providing the flowers for the wedding"?
    If you'd like to express your OPINIONS on who or what should be done, please do that in some other thread.

Thanks.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I wondered when you'd be back.

I have already addressed beastiality. While I find it repugnant, I don't find it immoral for the same reasons.

And entirely rooted in a person's membership in a class. We used to make a similar argument

black + black = moral
    white + white = moral
    white + black = immoral

And we claimed it was perfectly logical then too. That didn't stop it from being a racist/bigoted/prejudicial view.

This one is not racist. It would be better described as genderist or sexist. But it is bigoted and prejudicial, for the same reasons. Morality is being rooted in a persons genetic identity, ironically by many of the very people that object to "identity politics." But apparently "identity morality" is no problem.

I don't agree.
    Well I'm glad you agree that my position based on gender was logical. Whether you subjectively think it is sexist has no bearing except for you, and that can be dismissed - has no rational weight...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...