Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Substitute for Adobe Flash Player in iMac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Substitute for Adobe Flash Player in iMac

Is there anything that can substitute for Adobe Flash Player in iMac?

I do not like the way I have been subjected to high pressure sales of other products ― that I do not want ― especially when no readily apparent (to me) means of rejecting the sales pressure is provided that can be separated from Adobe Flash Player. At least that's the way it seems to me.

I wound up deleting the Adobe Flash Player download to get rid of all the accompanying unwanted programs.

I'm afraid there isn't really a substitute for Flash if that is what a web site requires. Fortunately, more and more sites are switching to HTML5 video these days.

If the Flash installer is a problem, you could use Chrome and get their Pepper Flash plugin (which used to come automatically with Chrome, but now has to be installed separately). Otherwise there are legitimate sites (like MacUpdate) to get the full (not web) flash installer that doesn't have ads. Let me know if you need further information.

Comment

Originally posted by Celebrian View Post
      I'm afraid there isn't really a substitute for Flash if that is what a web site requires. Fortunately, more and more sites are switching to HTML5 video these days.

If the Flash installer is a problem, you could use Chrome and get their Pepper Flash plugin (which used to come automatically with Chrome, but now has to be installed separately). Otherwise there are legitimate sites (like MacUpdate) to get the full (not web) flash installer that doesn't have ads. Let me know if you need further information.
      Thank you!

Comment

Uh Oh:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/shouldn...pps-macupdate/

I think I will just forgo/do without anything that requires Adobe Flash Player plugin for viewing.
        Last edited by John Reece; 11-09-2016, 04:22 AM.

Comment

I'm sorry, MacUpdate used to be a good site. I actually have an account there of long standing, so I can still download the real installer. You can actually create a free account (logging in avoids the adware in the download), but I understand not wanting to trust them.

Comment

Originally posted by Celebrian View Post
            I'm sorry, MacUpdate used to be a good site. I actually have an account there of long standing, so I can still download the real installer. You can actually create a free account (logging in avoids the adware in the download), but I understand not wanting to trust them.
            That's OK. I appreciate your responses.

More generally, do you have any idea why there is such effort expended trying to get Mac users to download Mac cleaners?

There were two such ads along with the link I clicked above.

I was so often bombarded with such before my old Mac crashed and burned a few months ago that at lest one such infected that old Mac of mine, and I was never able to get it out.

A tech rep at Apple had advised me a long time ago not to download such as they are not recommended by Apple.

Comment

buried in the fine print is probably something giving them permission to gather aggregate information about you and your data and send it back to them for marketing purposes. They have to read everything on your computer to "clean" it, right? so why not use the opportunity to spy on you at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                buried in the fine print is probably something giving them permission to gather aggregate information about you and your data and send it back to them for marketing purposes. They have to read everything on your computer to "clean" it, right? so why not use the opportunity to spy on you at the same time.
                Thanks.

Comment