Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will Clinton win the popular vote and by how much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Clinton win the popular vote and by how much?

Currently, as I write this, she's ahead by 131,565 (47.6% vs 47.5%) with 91% of the vote counted.

By way of comparison, in 2000, George W Bush lost the popular vote by 543,895 votes (47.87% vs 48.38%).

As we all learned in grade school, we live in a republic, not a democracy, so I am not proposing that we do away with the electoral college or that the election was rigged or anything like that. It's just an interesting question that some people might like to be aware of and even discuss civilly.
    Last edited by robrecht; 11-09-2016, 06:46 AM.
    אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    I'm gonna predict that the Arizona results will reverse that and Trump will win the popular vote.

But I was wrong yesterday, so...
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

It will be close.

Comment

The only way to win the popular vote but lose the electoral college is if you get huge numbers of votes in limited geographic regions... sort of like what happens when you cheat.

Remember the infamous "hanging chad" controversy in Florida?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          The only way to win the popular vote but lose the electoral college is if you get huge numbers of votes in limited geographic regions... sort of like what happens when you cheat.

Remember the infamous "hanging chad" controversy in Florida?
          Demographic differences are not cheating. It's just a fact that people who live in large cities tend to be more liberal, whereas less populated areas tend to be more conservative. Note, however, there was a greater tendency for economic liberalism among farmers during the dust bowl when they were losing their land to local bankers. The framers of the constitution were concerned about protecting the rights of slave-holding states and even allocated 2/3rds of a slave's 'representation' to such states. The importance of a representative electoral college makes the most sense when there is also a greater focus on the significant roles of state governments and clear delineation of the proper roles of the federal government.
          Last edited by robrecht; 11-09-2016, 10:02 AM.
          אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Last I checked, which was half an hour or so ago, RCP had Trump ahead by about 0.2 percentage points in the popular vote, while FNC had him behind by about 150,000 in the raw numbers.

It's annoying that the various sources don't agree on either the popular or electoral vote counts.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Sorry guys, it's screwed up when somebody gets more votes than any other candidate and is not the winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                Sorry guys, it's screwed up when somebody gets more votes than any other candidate and is not the winner.
                I tend to agree. I think we need to either go to a strictly popular vote, or even to a 1 state = 1 vote system. The current system gives too much power to specific states and renders others powerless to influence anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                  The system is working exactly as intended. If it was a straight popular vote then only the most populated states -- or I should say that only the most populated regions in certain states -- would have any say in national elections. While certain "swing states" are arguably disproportionately important, you still have to win a lot of "flyover" country to reach the magic 270 electoral votes.

The system could probably use some tweaking, but going with a straight popular vote would be a bad idea. I am very fond of the saying, "A democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner."

Comment

The system is working exactly as intended. If it was a straight popular vote then only the most populated states -- or I should say that only the most populated regions in certain states -- would have any say in national elections. While certain "swing states" are arguably disproportionately important, you still have to win a lot of "flyover" country to reach the magic 270 electoral votes.

The system could probably use some tweaking, but going with a straight popular vote would be a bad idea. I am very fond of the saying, "A democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner."
                    So what is the difference between the electoral collage system and a straight popular vote in keeping the more populated areas from having more say? Either way, istm, the large population centers have the most sway in elections. CA has 55(?) votes and we in AK have only 2. Simply by living in AK I feel my vote is essentially useless; same as when we lived in CA and voted Republican as all the electoral votes went to the Democrat candidate (or vice versa).
                    We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

The system is working exactly as intended. If it was a straight popular vote then only the most populated states -- or I should say that only the most populated regions in certain states -- would have any say in national elections.
                      But that is exactly what happens in the electoral system. The most populous areas of the state determine who the state will vote for, and the most populous states have the most electoral votes. You get exactly what you describe. So for example in New York, Just NYC can determine how the whole state votes because it has the most population. So ALL of the electoral votes go to that candidate. Where in a popular vote, 40% of the state could end up going for the other candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post
                        So what is the difference between the electoral collage system and a straight popular vote in keeping the more populated areas from having more say? Either way, istm, the large population centers have the most sway in elections. CA has 55(?) votes and we in AK have only 2. Simply by living in AK I feel my vote is essentially useless; same as when we lived in CA and voted Republican as all the electoral votes went to the Democrat candidate (or vice versa).
                        Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        But that is exactly what happens in the electoral system. The most populous areas of the state determine who the state will vote for, and the most populous states have the most electoral votes. You get exactly what you describe. So for example in New York, Just NYC can determine how the whole state votes because it has the most population. So ALL of the electoral votes go to that candidate. Where in a popular vote, 40% of the state could end up going for the other candidate.
                        Well, like I said, the system could probably use some tweaking (and I have no idea what those tweaks might be), but the fact that someone can lose the popular vote by a narrow margin and still win the electoral college suggests to me that the system is working as intended. Sure, Alaska in and of itself doesn't have a lot of sway, but Alaska plus a dozen other states can easily offset juggernauts like California and Florida.

Comment

I would propose a 3 pronged approach:

1) Popular Vote
                          2) 1 State, 1 Vote
                          3) Electoral College

Win 2 or more, and you win the Presidency. That addresses the majority of the shortcomings of the 3 individually.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I'm in kind of a weird mood today, so I'm just throwing this out there....

What if the electoral college was more proportional? For example, if the vote goes 80%-20% in California, instead of the 55 electoral votes going to the 80%, why not do an 80/20 split of the electoral votes (44/11)?
                            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                              I'm in kind of a weird mood today, so I'm just throwing this out there....

What if the electoral college was more proportional? For example, if the vote goes 80%-20% in California, instead of the 55 electoral votes going to the 80%, why not do an 80/20 split of the electoral votes (44/11)?
                              That would work in larger states, but smaller states that have only a few electoral votes, it would not be possible to divide it fairly. and even if you could, it would just end up being a mirror of the popular vote, so why not just go to a popular vote and eliminate the electoral college?

I think they reason the decided on the electoral college was because it was the most efficient way to get a large nationwide vote done before we had easy long distance communications. Each state would have to send representatives to Washington to vote for them. Now we can just count each individual vote easily, which is how we determine the electoral votes live on TV.

Comment