Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Help me! I'm beginning to abandon the Trinity.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bibleuser View Post
    One of many.

BU
    So you are a polytheist then. You believe in more than one God even though Jehovah said he is the only true God and there are no Gods before or after him.

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      You do not understand. Jesus was both a man and the Son of God (John 5:18), one person, two natures, not mixed. He was not a demigod. Unless you as a Jehovah's Witness believe your Jesus Christ, a god, is a demigod.
      Jesus as "a god" is talking of his heavenly role as The Word.
      No earth he was a Man.
      BU

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        So you are a polytheist then. You believe in more than one God even though Jehovah said he is the only true God and there are no Gods before or after him.
        As the Bile says there are "many gods" re my quote Paul who said there were "many gods", so I agree with him that there are "many gods" then and now; but only "one true God" as at John 17:3.
        A Bible teaching!!

Origin of other gods or powerful spirits:-
        Deuteronomy 32:17
        They were sacrificing to demons, not to God, To gods that they had not known, New ones that came along recently, To gods that your forefathers did not know.

BU

Comment

• Originally posted by Darfius View Post
          There can only be one "the Holy One". That's how "one" works. But let me do you a favor and explain to you why you're going to hell unless you accept the Son, that is, admit that He is God. The only way to be saved is to believe on, that is, do the will of, the Son. If you do not admit that He is God and therefore worthy of absolute obedience, there will come a point where you will refuse to do His will. That point is hell. Don't go to hell. Accept the Son.
          Another "holy one."
          Psalm 106:16
          And of Aaron, the holy one of Jehovah.

BU

Comment

Another "holy one."
            Psalm 106:16
            And of Aaron, the holy one of Jehovah.

BU
            Aaron was "holy" as in consecrated to God. It clearly was not in the same sense that God is holy--sinless. Jesus was called Holy in the same sense as God, as no one else is.

Comment

As the Bile says there are "many gods" re my quote Paul who said there were "many gods", so I agree with him that there are "many gods" then and now; but only "one true God" as at John 17:3.
              A Bible teaching!!
              The bible says there are many FALSE gods. But only one true one. God himself said so:

"You are my witnesses," declares the LORD, "and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me" (Isaiah 43:10).

Isaiah 44:6 "This is what the LORD says-- Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God. 7 Who then is like me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and lay out before me what has happened since I established my ancient people, and what is yet to come-- yes, let him foretell what will come. 8 Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one."*

Are you saying you don't believe Jehovah himself???

Origin of other gods or powerful spirits:-
              Deuteronomy 32:17
              They were sacrificing to demons, not to God, To gods that they had not known, New ones that came along recently, To gods that your forefathers did not know.

BU
              see? False Gods. Are you saying Jesus is like these false Gods talked about above? Are you saying Jesus is a DEMON?

Since there is only ONE True God, Jesus is either: The One True God, or a False God. Which do you choose?
              Last edited by Sparko; 01-05-2018, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Man-God = Demigod
                No other way!
                BU
                Nice hand wave, your grace...
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  Nice hand wave, your grace...
                  BU = Hear no Bible, See no Bible, Read no Bible.

Comment

Jesus as "a god" is talking of his heavenly role as The Word.
                    No earth he was a Man.
                    BU
                    Well a couple issues here. John 1:1 is to be correctly translate "The Word was God." In the very least, in same way Jehovah had Moses to be "God" to Pharaoh (Exodus 7:1). Twice we are told that the Word was "with God," John 1:1 & 1:2. Someone "with" or facing another is not the other. Is that not true? [Do not forget, I do hold to a Trinity view point. Most Trinitarians do not understand how the Word was not God being called God.]
                    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Scripture Verse: Luke 7:28

"I tell you, among those born of women there is no one greater than John; yet the one who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he."

© Copyright Original Source

Was Jesus saying that John was greater than even Him, or did He not include Himself as merely a man?

Comment

• "God" is a relative term. This may help
                        So is Jesus a God, well yes, related to all things except the Father who is call "Almighty," then he becomes "god."
                        BU

Comment

• The Trinitarian doctrine has stood the test of time. No one that i am aware of has given any convincing argument to move the church away from this essential truth. Many people across all these generations have reviewed the doctrine ... have fought with it ... but no one has found a better conception of the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit. That is to say that no one has offered an argument sufficient to change the broadly held conception of the Trinity. It is gravely foolish then to simply discard the Trinitarian doctrine at the whim of some heretical teacher; it is also naive to follow the doctrine of heretics intentionally. Also a person takes great risk to depend on his or her own knowledge to argue with simple bible quotes without making an argument against the whole scope of arguments in defense of the Trinitarian doctrine.

It is acceptable to wonder if the doctrine of the Trinity is accurate. I had some suspicions about the doctrine years ago. My memory is not clear how these arose but some of it seemed to be derived from the way Paul worded things – probably like some passages Bibleuser brought up. (None of these passages, in quick examination, showed anything more or less than Jesus being recognized distinctly in His place as Messiah. )

One issue not specifically addressed was the question as to how justification of mankind could occur apart from the deity of Jesus. If he was merely a man, then the death of any mere man should have sufficed to become the turning point of all history. What significance could the death of a mere man have concerning the reconciliation of humanity with God? This question has not been addressed by the originator of this topic nor by Bibleuser. (Again, this is only one part of the broader argument for the Trinity but any meaningful discussion must consider this aspect.)

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                            The Trinitarian doctrine has stood the test of time. No one that i am aware of has given any convincing argument to move the church away from this essential truth. Many people across all these generations have reviewed the doctrine ... have fought with it ... but no one has found a better conception of the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit. That is to say that no one has offered an argument sufficient to change the broadly held conception of the Trinity. It is gravely foolish then to simply discard the Trinitarian doctrine at the whim of some heretical teacher; it is also naive to follow the doctrine of heretics intentionally. Also a person takes great risk to depend on his or her own knowledge to argue with simple bible quotes without making an argument against the whole scope of arguments in defense of the Trinitarian doctrine.

It is acceptable to wonder if the doctrine of the Trinity is accurate. I had some suspicions about the doctrine years ago. My memory is not clear how these arose but some of it seemed to be derived from the way Paul worded things – probably like some passages Bibleuser brought up. (None of these passages, in quick examination, showed anything more or less than Jesus being recognized distinctly in His place as Messiah. )

One issue not specifically addressed was the question as to how justification of mankind could occur apart from the deity of Jesus. If he was merely a man, then the death of any mere man should have sufficed to become the turning point of all history. What significance could the death of a mere man have concerning the reconciliation of humanity with God? This question has not been addressed by the originator of this topic nor by Bibleuser. (Again, this is only one part of the broader argument for the Trinity but any meaningful discussion must consider this aspect.)
                            It would only be the death of a perfect man to cancel out the sin of the first perfect man Adam.

As Adam was the father of a fallen man that dies etc., then Jesus as a sin free faithful man is God replacement for sinful Adam so having faith in this Gods given replacement for Adam one then can have a sin free father, Jesus, and thus be sin free (via faith) and worship Jehovah forever in love and harmony.
                            BU

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                              Well a couple issues here. John 1:1 is to be correctly translate "The Word was God." In the very least, in same way Jehovah had Moses to be "God" to Pharaoh (Exodus 7:1). Twice we are told that the Word was "with God," John 1:1 & 1:2. Someone "with" or facing another is not the other. Is that not true? [Do not forget, I do hold to a Trinity view point. Most Trinitarians do not understand how the Word was not God being called God.]
                              John 1:1-2 Literal
                              In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with The God, and the Word was god. . .
                              This one was in the beginning with The God.
                              BU

Comment

John 1:1-2 Literal
                                In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with The God, and the Word was god. . .
                                This one was in the beginning with The God.
                                BU
                                That's what
                                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X