Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Help me! I'm beginning to abandon the Trinity.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unitarian101 View Post
    Its neuter because the noun is neuter. In other words the adjective is modifying the body of X and not of X.
    Nope. "X" is comprised of 2 parts. Body and spirit. There is no difference between the "body of X" and X, except a spirit. When the "spirit of X" is in the "body of X", you have an alive body. When you have no "spirit of X" in the body of X, you have a dead "body of X"

Do you get this, and do you agree with this ?
    You're purposefully splitting unnecessary hairs to try and obfuscate and deflect.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Why ?
    That's an excellent question. You've been soundly debunked. Yet you continue splitting hairs in an effort to save face. Scripture is clear that when a spirit leaves the body, the body dies, but the spirit does not.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

tWebber
    Faith
    Unorthodox
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Nope. "X" is comprised of 2 parts. Body and spirit. There is no difference between the "body of X" and X, except a spirit. When the "spirit of X" is in the "body of X", you have an alive body. When you have no "spirit of X" in the body of X, you have a dead "body of X"

You're purposefully splitting unnecessary hairs to try and obfuscate and deflect.
    Unfortunately the grammar dictates otherwise. This is even true in English. For instance if we say "the mind of John is dead" we are not saying the same thing as "John is dead."

tWebber
    Faith
    Unorthodox
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That's an excellent question. You've been soundly debunked. Yet you continue splitting hairs in an effort to save face.
    But you have to explain why I was apparently getting "desperate" -- by interacting with my argument from that post.

Scripture is clear that when a spirit leaves the body, the body dies, but the spirit does not.
    This couldn't be further from the truth. Do you have a verse where Scripture speaks of disembodied human spirits living in "Heaven" apart from their bodies after their "death."

And talk of "Heaven" (i.e. the New Jerusalem) , it hasn't even descended to earth yet.

tWebber
    Faith
    Unorthodox
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Also, if death is a separation of the "spirit" from the body then the so-called Hypostatic Union of the Trinitarian Christ was interrupted when he died . And it get's worse, but that's another conversation..

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Unfortunately the grammar dictates otherwise.
    No it doesn't.

This is even true in English. For instance if we say "the mind of John is dead" we are not saying the same thing as "John is dead."
    If his mind is truly dead, i.e. brain dead, yes it means John is dead. Now, if you are using "dead" as a metaphor, like "I'm dead tired", as it is being used in the second half of Jas 2:26, then no, it does not mean literal human death. But the first part isn't a metaphor. It's a real thing being used as a simile for a metaphoric thing.

But you have to explain why I was apparently getting "desperate" -- by interacting with my argument from that post.
    You've resorted to trying to find unrelated scriptures.

This couldn't be further from the truth. Do you have a verse where Scripture speaks of disembodied human spirits living in "Heaven" apart from their bodies after their "death."
    Rev 6:9
    Luk 23:42-43
    Luke 16:19–31
    Ecclesiastes 12:7
    2 Corinthians 5:8

And talk of "Heaven" (i.e. the New Jerusalem) , it hasn't even descended to earth yet.
    It doesn't need to have descended yet in order for death to have lost its grip on the souls in Abraham's bosom.

Also, if death is a separation of the "spirit" from the body then the so-called Hypostatic Union of the Trinitarian Christ was interrupted when he died . And it get's worse, but that's another conversation..
    No. Just... no. Separation at death is not disowning the body. That spirit still belongs to that body. We will not be raised in ANY other body except the one we are born with.

tWebber
    Faith
    Unorthodox
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No it doesn't.

If his mind is truly dead, i.e. brain dead, yes it means John is dead. Now, if you are using "dead" as a metaphor, like "I'm dead tired", as it is being used in the second half of Jas 2:26, then no, it does not mean literal human death. But the first part isn't a metaphor. It's a real thing being used as a simile for a metaphoric thing.

You've resorted to trying to find unrelated scriptures.

You're not addressing the grammar or the argument though. Would you agree that the statements "The tire of the car is blue " and "the car is blue" are not saying the same thing ? In other words "X of Y is Z" is not necessarily the same as "Y is Z." ? In other words, if someone wishes to tell their readers that "John is dead," they would not do so by writing "Jack's mind is dead" or "Jack's leg is dead," or "Jack's tumor is dead" ?

Rev 6:9
    Luk 23:42-43
    Luke 16:19–31
    Ecclesiastes 12:7
    2 Corinthians 5:8

It doesn't need to have descended yet in order for death to have lost its grip on the souls in Abraham's bosom.

No. Just... no. Separation at death is not disowning the body. That spirit still belongs to that body. We will not be raised in ANY other body except the one we are born with.
    One at a time. Explain why you think Rev. 6:9 proves for disembodied human spirits living in "Heaven" apart from their bodies after their "death" ?
    Last edited by Unitarian101; Today at 04:40 PM.

tWebber
    Faith
    Unorthodox
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The following goes against the concept of post-"death" disembodied human spirits :

καὶ τὰ μνημεῖα ἀνεῴχθησαν καὶ πολλὰ σώματα τῶν κεκοιμημένων ἁγίων ἠγέρθησαν
    Matthew 27:52

Notice that death is likened to sleep. For starters, can we agree that during sleep our spirit does not literally leave our body ?