Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me! I'm beginning to abandon the Trinity.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bibleuser View Post
    John 1:1-2 Literal
    In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with The God, and the Word was god. . .
    This one was in the beginning with The God.
    BU

Technically θεος rendered "god" or "God," the capitalization is a matter of recognizing deity. Jehovah told Isaiah (43:10), ". . . before Me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after Me."

And in 2 Corinthians 4:4, ο θεος is rendered "the god."
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

tWebber
    Faith
    jehovah's witness
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    Technically θεος rendered "god" or "God," the capitalization is a matter of recognizing deity. Jehovah told Isaiah (43:10), ". . . before Me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after Me."

And in 2 Corinthians 4:4, ο θεος is rendered "the god."
    The Word - One of.
    The God - One of.
    Satan god - One of.
    μονογενὴς θεὸς - One of. A created god by God. So God is the only ONE and can Create a god, but as The Scriptures say he is the "God of god."

BU
    Last edited by Bibleuser; 01-16-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    "God" is a relative term. This may help
    So is Jesus a God, well yes, related to all things except the Father who is call "Almighty," then he becomes "god."
    BU
    Then why did God say that he is the ONLY God and there is no other? That none were made before him nor after him?

4. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The Word - One of.
    The God - One of.
    Satan god - One of.
    μονογενὴς θεὸς - One of. A created god by God. So God is the only ONE and can Create a god, but as The Scriptures say he is the "God of god."

BU
    Then according to your explanation God lied when He said to Isaiah (43:10), ". . . before Me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after Me."
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well a couple issues here. John 1:1 is to be correctly translate "The Word was God." In the very least, in same way Jehovah had Moses to be "God" to Pharaoh (Exodus 7:1). Twice we are told that the Word was "with God," John 1:1 & 1:2. Someone "with" or facing another is not the other. Is that not true? [Do not forget, I do hold to a Trinity view point. Most Trinitarians do not understand how the Word was not God being called God.]
    John 1:1-2 Literal
    In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with The God, and the Word was god. . .
    This one was in the beginning with The God.
    BU
    Bibleuser, did you understand? Let me state it this way. As Jehovah had Moses represent Himself to Pharaoh (Exodus 7:1), Jehovah had the Word represent Himself to all of His creation (John 1:3; Colossians 1:16-17; Genesis 1:1; Hebrews 1:2). Can you comment on this?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The Granville Sharp rule of Greek grammar says that John 1:1 has to be translated as "and the Word was God" not "a God"

"Basically, Granville Sharp's rule states that when you have two nouns, which are not proper names (such as Cephas, or Paul, or Timothy), which are describing a person, and the two nouns are connected by the word 'and,' and the first noun has the article ('the') while the second does not, both nouns are referring to the same person."

https://www.theopedia.com/granville-sharps-rule

8. Amen 37818 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpholding View Post
    I answer that too, but in an article behind a paywall. You can write me for a free copy.

The sum of it though is that the whole "god or man" question is based on modern ideas about how we reckon identity. Ancient people, the way they classed identity, would not have had any problems with this.
    Quick question: Why was the trinity an issue in the early church then?

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    The Granville Sharp rule of Greek grammar says that John 1:1 has to be translated as "and the Word was God" not "a God"

"Basically, Granville Sharp's rule states that when you have two nouns, which are not proper names (such as Cephas, or Paul, or Timothy), which are describing a person, and the two nouns are connected by the word 'and,' and the first noun has the article ('the') while the second does not, both nouns are referring to the same person."

https://www.theopedia.com/granville-sharps-rule
    According to David Bentley Hart, John 1:1 is an ambiguous statement about Jesus' divinity in the Greek (perhaps deliberately so); Thomas the apostle's statement toward the end of the book (John 20:28) is rather more definite in his opinion. He has some fairly extensive footnotes regarding the issue in his translation of the NT.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goulette View Post
    Quick question: Why was the trinity an issue in the early church then?
    Why should the explanation be the problem? Trinity is the name of the explanation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Why should the explanation be the problem? Trinity is the name of the explanation.

I was asking why the early church, which began in ancient times, struggled to define the doctrine if, as JPH said, "Ancient people, the way they classed identity, would not have had any problems with this."

(Although perhaps it wasn't the church at large that had a hard time with the time, but certain leaders who were excommunicated for not getting it. Certain people of the Tassman type.)