Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

The ManWho Was Thursday a Nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ManWho Was Thursday a Nightmare

This book was the first book of Chestertons I decided to read. I admit hapilly it was a great read. I am now quite certain his more apologetic works will be great. I bought Orthodoxy.

I find that each of the apologist and christians I meet have a unique flavor. All men and women do.

Chesterton is a fine steak with a nice cranberyjuice. Simple yet robust. Lively and good humored.

Lewis is a man who I would love to sit down and eat a sandwhich with. His intellect matched by his childlike wonder, abundant love for Christ, and his ability to articulate the sense of reason

Tolkein is a grand poet. Building worlds and showing the grandiose and beatiful nature of christianity.

My freind mr Holding is personality wise almost my opposite. He is quiet natured, judgemental, and logical. I am emotional, feeling, and a man who could spend hours with agood freind, a book, and sandwhiches. We share however an intuition, a love for the lord, and an appreciation for quality and curios searching for truth.

I have so much to learn. If it is Gods will let me be as my grandmother calls me " a little knowledge sponge" learning and helping others to learn. On this journey of life I am so happy to struggle alongside my brothers and sisters in faith. Hard as it may be at times.

Thank you all.
    sigpic

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
    This book was the first book of Chestertons I decided to read. I admit hapilly it was a great read. I am now quite certain his more apologetic works will be great. I bought Orthodoxy.

I find that each of the apologist and christians I meet have a unique flavor. All men and women do.

Chesterton is a fine steak with a nice cranberyjuice. Simple yet robust. Lively and good humored.

Lewis is a man who I would love to sit down and eat a sandwhich with. His intellect matched by his childlike wonder, abundant love for Christ, and his ability to articulate the sense of reason

Tolkein is a grand poet. Building worlds and showing the grandiose and beatiful nature of christianity.

My freind mr Holding is personality wise almost my opposite. He is quiet natured, judgemental, and logical. I am emotional, feeling, and a man who could spend hours with agood freind, a book, and sandwhiches. We share however an intuition, a love for the lord, and an appreciation for quality and curios searching for truth.

I have so much to learn. If it is Gods will let me be as my grandmother calls me " a little knowledge sponge" learning and helping others to learn. On this journey of life I am so happy to struggle alongside my brothers and sisters in faith. Hard as it may be at times.

Thank you all.
    Never stop learning.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Thank you Rogue.
      sigpic

Comment

Just don't learn from HIM!!! Remember, explosions may be pretty but they aren't your friends!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I really have to get around to reading *The Man Who Was Thursday* at some point. I've been slowly and intermittently working through Chesterton's newspaper columns for a while. One of my favorite little anecdotes of his:
          I remember that very many years ago, when I was extremely young, I had an argument with an Atheist in the porch of a post-office. We were total strangers, and were only standing there to be out of the rain. The aim of argument is differing in order to agree; the failure of argument is when you agree to differ. This mental collapse came upon us after an hour or so, and we fell back into ordinary speech, the Atheist remarking, "It is still raining." To which I answered, with some irritation, "What is raining? Is it the same as what is reigning?" Then I suddenly remembered that the pun would not be apparent, except on paper, and walked hurriedly away.
          "The Jesus Christ who saves sinners is the same Christ who beckons his followers to serious use of their minds for serious explorations of the world." - Mark Noll

"It cannot be that the people should grow in grace unless they give themselves to reading." - John Wesley

"Wherever men are still theological, there is still some chance of their being logical." - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            Just don't learn from HIM!!! Remember, explosions may be pretty but they aren't your friends!
            Some are, or were. Just very, very short-lived ones.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Some are, or were. Just very, very short-lived ones.

Your real friends don't make you have a revolving line of credit with 5 ER's, three trauma centers and two surgical centers...
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Your real friends don't make you have a revolving line of credit with 5 ER's, three trauma centers and two surgical centers...
                Are you sure we aren't talking about ex-girlfriends here?

Comment

Are you sure we aren't talking about ex-girlfriends here?
                  Same thing.
                  As I recall, you dated several explosions and had a serious relationship with a fire that finally burned out.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Same thing.
                    As I recall, you dated several explosions and had a serious relationship with a fire that finally burned out.
                    Are you saying that a fire is an old flame of mine? Was she hot?

Comment

Are you saying that a fire is an old flame of mine? Was she hot?

Your doctor and the burn unit thought so...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Your doctor and the burn unit thought so...
                        I actually suffered second and third degree burns across my lower right shin when I was a teen. Treated it myself for a couple days before telling mom (the doctors said I did an extraordinarily professional looking job). Virtually the only way you can tell anything happened is that no hair grows there and since I don't have particularly hairy legs it is almost unnoticeable.

Comment

You are making my point, you know that, right?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

You are making my point, you know that, right?
                            That I'm debonair?

Comment

You guys are almosthe like family in how well you know each other.
                              sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X