Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The ManWho Was Thursday a Nightmare

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

The ManWho Was Thursday a Nightmare

This book was the first book of Chestertons I decided to read. I admit hapilly it was a great read. I am now quite certain his more apologetic works will be great. I bought Orthodoxy.

I find that each of the apologist and christians I meet have a unique flavor. All men and women do.

Chesterton is a fine steak with a nice cranberyjuice. Simple yet robust. Lively and good humored.

Lewis is a man who I would love to sit down and eat a sandwhich with. His intellect matched by his childlike wonder, abundant love for Christ, and his ability to articulate the sense of reason

Tolkein is a grand poet. Building worlds and showing the grandiose and beatiful nature of christianity.

My freind mr Holding is personality wise almost my opposite. He is quiet natured, judgemental, and logical. I am emotional, feeling, and a man who could spend hours with agood freind, a book, and sandwhiches. We share however an intuition, a love for the lord, and an appreciation for quality and curios searching for truth.

I have so much to learn. If it is Gods will let me be as my grandmother calls me " a little knowledge sponge" learning and helping others to learn. On this journey of life I am so happy to struggle alongside my brothers and sisters in faith. Hard as it may be at times.

Thank you all.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    This book was the first book of Chestertons I decided to read. I admit hapilly it was a great read. I am now quite certain his more apologetic works will be great. I bought Orthodoxy.

I find that each of the apologist and christians I meet have a unique flavor. All men and women do.

Chesterton is a fine steak with a nice cranberyjuice. Simple yet robust. Lively and good humored.

Lewis is a man who I would love to sit down and eat a sandwhich with. His intellect matched by his childlike wonder, abundant love for Christ, and his ability to articulate the sense of reason

Tolkein is a grand poet. Building worlds and showing the grandiose and beatiful nature of christianity.

My freind mr Holding is personality wise almost my opposite. He is quiet natured, judgemental, and logical. I am emotional, feeling, and a man who could spend hours with agood freind, a book, and sandwhiches. We share however an intuition, a love for the lord, and an appreciation for quality and curios searching for truth.

I have so much to learn. If it is Gods will let me be as my grandmother calls me " a little knowledge sponge" learning and helping others to learn. On this journey of life I am so happy to struggle alongside my brothers and sisters in faith. Hard as it may be at times.

Thank you all.
    Never stop learning.

I'm always still in trouble again

3. Amen TheWall, Cerebrum123, One Bad Pig, Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Thank you Rogue.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Just don't learn from HIM!!! Remember, explosions may be pretty but they aren't your friends!

6. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Evangelical
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I really have to get around to reading *The Man Who Was Thursday* at some point. I've been slowly and intermittently working through Chesterton's newspaper columns for a while. One of my favorite little anecdotes of his:

I remember that very many years ago, when I was extremely young, I had an argument with an Atheist in the porch of a post-office. We were total strangers, and were only standing there to be out of the rain. The aim of argument is differing in order to agree; the failure of argument is when you agree to differ. This mental collapse came upon us after an hour or so, and we fell back into ordinary speech, the Atheist remarking, "It is still raining." To which I answered, with some irritation, "What is raining? Is it the same as what is reigning?" Then I suddenly remembered that the pun would not be apparent, except on paper, and walked hurriedly away.
    "The Jesus Christ who saves sinners is the same Christ who beckons his followers to serious use of their minds for serious explorations of the world." - Mark Noll

"It cannot be that the people should grow in grace unless they give themselves to reading." - John Wesley

"Wherever men are still theological, there is still some chance of their being logical." - G. K. Chesterton

8. Amen One Bad Pig, Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Just don't learn from HIM!!! Remember, explosions may be pretty but they aren't your friends!
    Some are, or were. Just very, very short-lived ones.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Some are, or were. Just very, very short-lived ones.

Your real friends don't make you have a revolving line of credit with 5 ER's, three trauma centers and two surgical centers...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Your real friends don't make you have a revolving line of credit with 5 ER's, three trauma centers and two surgical centers...
    Are you sure we aren't talking about ex-girlfriends here?

12. Amen JB DoulosChristou amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Are you sure we aren't talking about ex-girlfriends here?
    Same thing.
    As I recall, you dated several explosions and had a serious relationship with a fire that finally burned out.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Same thing.
    As I recall, you dated several explosions and had a serious relationship with a fire that finally burned out.
    Are you saying that a fire is an old flame of mine? Was she hot?