Announcement

Collapse

Admissions Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the TheologyWeb Community. Here in the Admissions Dept. we welcome all the newcomers. This section is only for welcome posts to announce the arrival of a new resident. Be sure to be welcomed or introduce yourself if our welcome committee is slacking.

Forum Rules: here

Wow! You made it! Here you are in the Admissions and Orientation Department of Tweb! This is where the rubber first hits the road; where the pedal first hits the metal; where the nuts come out of the woodwork to make sure you feel at home here.

The Admissions area is only for welcome posts to announce the arrival of a new inmate resident, and we encourage you to leave here and head out into the great big wide world of Tweb as soon as you feel comfortable in your new username.

Be sure to reply to your welcome thread, or introduce yourself if our welcome committee is out to lunch or painting their living room.
See more
See less

JPHolding considers me a nut - that is why I am here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Again, it looks like he has a personal beef with JPH, in which I have no part.
    I have about 5000 articles on my blogs (a few hundred less, perhaps). Most of them, including the one I gave, have nothing to do with JPH. Are you boycotting them because I said I have a beef with JPH?

I think he takes himself far too seriously.
    Yes. When someone has the idea of taking me down a bit and the best idea happens to coincide with sth I take as a vital concern, I tend to take myself a bit more seriously than I would otherwise, which would be healthier under better circulstances.

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
    Also some of his sentences are a jumble of words with no meaning.
    Such as?
    http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Just so you know, you are not allowed to link to your personal blogs or sites in your posts. You can put links in your signature block, but constantly linking them in your posts is against our rules. You seem to do it a lot, so if you are here to try to hijack our search engine rankings to get more pageviews for your site, you can forget about it.
      Don't we normally edit out the links unless there's a specific comment being cited relevant to the discussion?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by hansgeorg View Post
        I have about 5000 articles on my blogs (a few hundred less, perhaps). Most of them, including the one I gave, have nothing to do with JPH. Are you boycotting them because I said I have a beef with JPH?
        No, and I'm not "boycotting" them. I just flat out don't care. Not interested. You strike me as a nut who doesn't deserve serious attention. In my first interactions with you, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, thinking you were probably just a decent guy who.... was... um.....

Yeah, what was I thinking!?!?!?!?!

Besides

I quit
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah but it's not relevant to CP's post. It comes off as you just...I dunno? Bragging? It's just weird and irrelevant. It's like those youtube comments written by kids who decide they have to tell you their age for no reason. "Yeah well this video is stupid! And I'm 12." Okay?
          Not relevant? How about the relevance of an "à propos"?

The "kids" you talk about probably do have the same problem as I, for different reasons : being adult, having feelings of adults, and being consistently treated as children. At least if the 12 year olds aree girls, boys aren't adult until 14.

I am tolerant of bragging in others, so exspect some tolerance of my own bragging.

This sentence is garbled.
          "Not sure its mostly the best readers I could wish for, but some have."

Because of "its" instead of correct "it's"?

Or because of ellipsis?

"Not sure it's [the category I am talking about is] mostly the best readers I could wish for, but some have [begun to read me and not quit]."

First alternative stamps you as grammar Nazi, second as not the most proficient reader.

As to Sparko, how about using this thread to give me advice on which blog I should link to in signature block?

Comment

Not interested. You strike me as a nut who doesn't deserve serious attention.
            Nice to know where I have you at least?

Comment

Such as?
              Originally posted by hansgeorg
              Note, on youtube comboxes I get into comment duels very much more often, and therefore know that people agreeing with JPHolding, more Atheists than Prots, but some of those too, agree wholeheartedly or beyond with JPH's nice choice of epithete.
              The word "comboxes" is not a word. I guess you meant comments? "Duels" is not the word we use in English for debate. I read that and immediately thought of Harry Potter. The last half of the sentence I'm having trouble putting together into something that has meaning. I think you used the wrong present tense here and I don't know where you're talking about atheists agreeing with JP. In calling you a nut I suppose? I've only just figured out what you maybe meant here by trying to dissect it. Also epithet is spelled without an E at the end.

but sometimes presumably too because certain people involved in somewhat shrinkish behaviour might be trying to figure me out.
              The first half of this sentence makes some sense even if it is relatively awkward English, but I get lost here. What on earth did you mean by "shrinkish?" That's not an English word.

I mean, readers could be often from the networks which are into that jargon, and who would of course want to make your point realistic.
              This one really got me. What jargon? "That" jargon? What is this relative pronoun referring to? What networks? Make his point...realistic?

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
              "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
              Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Don't we normally edit out the links unless there's a specific comment being cited relevant to the discussion?
                yep. every one of his posts has been reported.

It sounds like he is just here trying to drum up traffic to his blogs, that is why he seems upset that nobody wants to click on his links.

=========

Originally posted by Hansgeorg
                Wah!!!

We are boycotting them because nobody cares about your blogs or articles.

Comment

Nice to know where I have you at least?
                  Have a wonderful day, Mickiel II

Comment

Not relevant? How about the relevance of an "à propos"?

The "kids" you talk about probably do have the same problem as I, for different reasons : being adult, having feelings of adults, and being consistently treated as children. At least if the 12 year olds aree girls, boys aren't adult until 14.

I am tolerant of bragging in others, so exspect some tolerance of my own bragging.

"Not sure its mostly the best readers I could wish for, but some have."

Because of "its" instead of correct "it's"?

Or because of ellipsis?

"Not sure it's [the category I am talking about is] mostly the best readers I could wish for, but some have [begun to read me and not quit]."

First alternative stamps you as grammar Nazi, second as not the most proficient reader.
                    Not just the its/it's. You're using a singular word to refer to plural readers, even if it is a singular category. The sentence reads awkwardly. It should be something more like, "Not sure they are the best readers, but they have not stopped reading." ("Begun and not quit" is just silly phraseology).

Dude, I'm trying to help. One of the issues with people who learn to speak second and third languages is that native speakers are often too polite to correct minute pieces of grammar because aw they're trying. But you don't get better until you start getting corrected on more than the basic concepts.

Also, "ellipsis" is used to refer to the three dots used in the omission of words, not just omission of words.
                    Last edited by thewriteranon; 11-22-2016, 12:10 PM.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Dude, I'm trying to help. One of the issues with people who learn to speak second and third languages is that native speakers are often too polite to correct minute pieces of grammar because aw they're trying. But you don't get better until you start getting corrected on more than the basic concepts.
                      I just saw a commercial for that weird preacher "Prince" (Joseph Prince?) who is advertising his book (or video or something) and his closing statement had some weird verb agreement problem -- seems like somebody should have helped him on that before publishing.

Comment

BBL tomorrow!

Comment

GTG.gif

Comment

Upon reflection, JPH is correct.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I have drawn lines between the examples to not jumble it all together, starting each with your quote of me, then your comment, then my clarification.

__________________________________________________ _

I "Note, on youtube comboxes I get into comment duels very much more often, and therefore know that people agreeing with JPHolding, more Atheists than Prots, but some of those too, agree wholeheartedly or beyond with JPH's nice choice of epithete."

The word "comboxes" is not a word. I guess you meant comments? "Duels" is not the word we use in English for debate. I read that and immediately thought of Harry Potter. The last half of the sentence I'm having trouble putting together into something that has meaning. I think you used the wrong present tense here and I don't know where you're talking about atheists agreeing with JP. In calling you a nut I suppose? I've only just figured out what you maybe meant here by trying to dissect it. Also epithet is spelled without an E at the end.
                              1) By comboxes, I mean "comment boxes" under either a youtube video or a blog post.

2) Duels by itself is not a word for debate, but as your reference to magic duels in HP (which I haven't read), adding a noun to make it a composite word may slightly change the meaning.

A "combox duel" is obviously a duel conducted in comboxes (as defined above, the abbreviation does exist, I did not make it up). A duel in comboxes is most often either a debate or a duel of bad language. A duel in comboxes that is a debate is somewhat different from a debate which is moderated, oral and counts in minutes. For instance, a combox duel can be rude and can be one comment or two per day and go on for a month and be resumed after a year. So "combox duel" is definitely a better chosen phrase than just "debate".

Actually, I wrote "on youtube comboxes", namely as opposed to the ones under my own blogs, I get into "comment duels". But if I hadn't already used combox, the field in which comments are submitted under a post of video, I

3) The last half, less elliptically:

Note, on youtube comboxes I get in to comment duels very much more often [than under own blog's posts], and therefore know that people agreeing with JPHolding [in general], [these people being] more Atheists than Prots, but some of those [namely Prots] too, agree wholeheartedly or beyond [what is wholehearted in JPH's case] with [said] JPH's nice choice of epithete [of calling me a nut / nutso].

4) In a side margin to "Faultful Ægistes", the commenter of Chapman's Odyssey* remarks that this is a mistranslation, and since faultless is an "epithet" the word occurs - twice spelled "the epithete".

In a work of my own, I used the spelling "feasant". It is the pure English one. Like "phaisant" is the pure French-foreign-word one. BOTH inbetweens exist as well as these extremes in Oxford English Dictionary (or whatever the larger one is called), both the common "pheasant" and the uncommon "faisant".

Since you understood the word, I had clearly not garbled the sentence.

__________________________________________________ ___

* [Note to I]Found after googling "the epithete" on google books:

https://books.google.fr/books?id=Lck...ete%22&f=false

If you think a spelling is faulty, google it. It's maybe not the one you were taught, but if it occurs in English literature, it is not faulty. Chapman's translation of Odyssey is very clearly English literature.

One more check, "the epithete Peevish":

https://books.google.fr/books?id=09R...ete%22&f=false

Since William Laud is an Anglican, that is one of your own Classics.

II "but sometimes presumably too because certain people involved in somewhat shrinkish behaviour might be trying to figure me out."

The first half of this sentence makes some sense even if it is relatively awkward English, but I get lost here. What on earth did you mean by "shrinkish?" That's not an English word.
                              Here is the full sentence, you were starting in second half:

"I am very well aware people are not hanging over my EVERY post, I see that certain posts are viewed over and over again, presumably because of polemic content, mostly, but sometimes presumably too because certain people involved in somewhat shrinkish behaviour might be trying to figure me out."

1) Key word: certain posts are viewed over and over again, presumably ... but presumably too ...

That means that words both stated and left out in the part beginning "but presumably too because" refer to the reason why a certain post is viewed over and over again, and that words left out in that second half shall be supplemented from first half. You never took Latin as an option very far, did you?

2) Shrinkish - my donation to OED! From "shrink" derogatory for psychiatrist, psychoanalyst, psychologist etc, originally "headshrinker" [see also Amazonas Indians] + ending -ish, here in sense "exhibiting behaviour of" root word etc.

Since both components are very clear, I thought the derivation would be so too.

3) Example of what I mean. My extra-site guestbook is down. I made a post as backup guestbook, and it has SO many views. Three theories on why:
                              a) someone with a somewhat shrinkish behaviour is trying to figure me out, what kind of geek can come up with a "back up guest book";
                              b) someone is watching WHO might write entries in my guestbook (perhaps same people who proably manually and from very few computers spammed my real guestbook which has now been down for very long);
                              c) that particular post could have been used to generate stats - but most often the stats from that post (only on one of my blogs, since I link to that one from other blogs) are outweighed by those from other ones.

III "I mean, readers could be often from the networks which are into that jargon, and who would of course want to make your point realistic."

This one really got me. What jargon? "That" jargon? What is this relative pronoun referring to? What networks? Make his point...realistic?
                              Context is gold:

"A reason not to consider lack of comments as necessarily denoting lack of reading. I mean, readers could be often from the networks which are into that jargon, and who would of course want to make your point realistic."

I mean the jargon of "you ain't no comments, you ain't no readers". This should make the rest clear.
                              __________________________________________________ _______

Feel free to consider some of the things I said as ... conspiracy theories ... but you have hardly made a case for "garbled sentences which don't make sense".

Comment

Not just the its/it's. You're using a singular word to refer to plural readers, even if it is a singular category. The sentence reads awkwardly. It should be something more like, "Not sure they are the best readers, but they have not stopped reading." ("Begun and not quit" is just silly phraseology).

Also, "ellipsis" is used to refer to the three dots used in the omission of words, not just omission of words.
                                1) I used sg because the subject "some" came later. Perhaps a REAL fault and interference with my native Swedish. Some have looked for my faulty English like for a needle in the haystack, and you have found the needle!

Admirations!

2) When I try to help someone out on grammar, like on FB or on a forum where a PM is possible, I do so per PM - not on a discussion where it clogs the context for other issues, usually. This time you did however give a real hand by the other analyses, where I could show that I am not as much of a beginner as you thought.

3) Ellipsis first of all means leaving out a word, usually which can be understood from context. Ellipsis secondly also means showing that you leave out the rest or leave out a bit, by the three dots.

I just saw a commercial for that weird preacher "Prince" (Joseph Prince?) who is advertising his book (or video or something) and his closing statement had some weird verb agreement problem -- seems like somebody should have helped him on that before publishing.
                                For someone not considering me decent, you are helpful. Thank you for pointing out that unlike what certain networks seem to have been implying about my ambition, my English or French (both foreign languages) does not have to be totally faultless for a publication in commercial format to be possible.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X