Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump settles for 25 million.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    One possibility is that he simple doesn't have 750m$, I mean legally he's broke (in that weird don't have any real money, but being very rich and able to claim that you're rich... broke), that's why he isn't paying federal taxes.
    I don't think that's the case, Leon. Forbes has Trump at 3.5 Billion dollars. Rich people can get around paying taxes (not just Trump) because they have lawyers and accountants who can find the loopholes, take the losses, and legally not pay taxes. I don't think there's really any grounds to think that it's because he's "broke" that he's not paying taxes.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I don't think that's the case, Leon. Forbes has Trump at 3.5 Billion dollars. Rich people can get around paying taxes (not just Trump) because they have lawyers and accountants who can find the loopholes, take the losses, and legally not pay taxes. I don't think there's really any grounds to think that it's because he's "broke" that he's not paying taxes.
      And others have had him at less. He sued one journalist who claimed he wasn't a billionaire, where in court he infamously admitted that his own estimate of his wealthy depends on how he's feeling on a particular day.

Well if he has the money, but chose not to settle properly, then he's a crook. If he doesn't have the money, yet likes to claim that the appeal of him is that's he's very rich, then he's a liar.

Comment

Well if he has the money, but chose not to settle properly, then he's a crook.
        Leon, I'm no fan of Trump, but it's quite disingenuous to claim he's a crook based on the legal process of "settling" debt - he could not force the other side to accept that amount - they had to choose to accept it. It's quite possible they knew they couldn't actually prove the damages they were claiming, or knew it would be far more expensive to battle on, but nobody forced them to take the settlement.

That's why it's called a "settlement". Both sides "settled" on the amount.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Leon, I'm no fan of Trump, but it's quite disingenuous to claim he's a crook based on the legal process of "settling" debt - he could not force the other side to accept that amount - they had to choose to accept it.
          Hey a lot of people in the US choose to settle out of court. Even innocent people. Trump is infamous for abusing the courts to get his way and to never settle, basically bragging about this as if that's somehow appealing. But I wish the details of this were out so I could see what made them change their mind.

Comment

Hey a lot of people in the US choose to settle out of court. Even innocent people.
            Exactly - it's often a cost vs principle thing.

Trump is infamous for abusing the courts to get his way and to never settle, basically bragging about this as if that's somehow appealing. But I wish the details of this were out so I could see what made them change their mind.
            Greed, perhaps? Desperation? Who knows. Likely, as I said, they saw it as their best chance to "get anything", and they took it.

Comment

Hey a lot of people in the US choose to settle out of court. Even innocent people. Trump is infamous for abusing the courts to get his way and to never settle, basically bragging about this as if that's somehow appealing. But I wish the details of this were out so I could see what made them change their mind.
              Actually, nearly every case settles out of court; it's only something like 3% of cases that go to trial. The details of the settlement are confidential. Once in a while a settlement agreement will be made public, but those do not contain the reason why it was consummated.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Trump: "Do you know that nearly everybody in the lawsuit has signed a letter saying how great the school was. Thats why I won't settle, because its such an easy case to win in court." My question for Trump defenders is why would Trump U. pressure people into signing a letter testifying to the high quality of the school? Is that something that is normal practice for University's? Anyway, I guess Trump changed his mind and realized it wouldn't be so easy, as a matter of fact it would be so difficult for him to win that he would rather shell out 25 million dollars. "its to easy a case settle!"

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Actually, nearly every case settles out of court; it's only something like 3% of cases that go to trial. The details of the settlement are confidential. Once in a while a settlement agreement will be made public, but those do not contain the reason why it was consummated.
                  I didn't realize it was that low a percentage, OBP - got a cite for that?

Comment

I didn't realize it was that low a percentage, OBP - got a cite for that?
                    I don't, sorry. Just what I've heard from within the industry. From a job perspective, I would rather more cases go to trial - more work for me. I've been working as a paralegal for 9.5 years now - and I've been to trial twice (and before an arbitration panel once).
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

He offered a settlement, they took the settlement. This is completely legal and reasonable. How is this a "crook"?

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Anyway, I guess Trump changed his mind and realized it wouldn't be so easy, as a matter of fact it would be so difficult for him to win that he would rather shell out 25 million dollars. "its to easy a case settle!"
                      Actually, it being too easy a case to normally settle would make sense. While Leonhard's usage of "crook" was silly, he is correct that it does seem a bit of a low settlement. Quite plausibly, it would have been easy for Trump to win, but under the circumstances of being elected he didn't want to be bogged down in a potentially lengthy case, so he just offered them a small amount (well, relatively) and the plaintiffs, figuring they weren't sure if they would win if it did go to court, took it.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                        He offered a settlement, they took the settlement. This is completely legal and reasonable. How is this a "crook"?

Actually, it being too easy a case to normally settle would make sense. While Leonhard's usage of "crook" was silly, he is correct that it does seem a bit of a low settlement. Quite plausibly, it would have been easy for Trump to win, but under the circumstances of being elected he didn't want to be bogged down in a potentially lengthy case, so he just offered them a small amount (well, relatively) and the plaintiffs, figuring they weren't sure if they would win if it did go to court, took it.
                        I'm not sure if its, relatively speaking, a small amount or not, but as far as the defendent is concerned, 25 million is not a small amount to have to pay out particularly when, according to Trump, the case is such an easy case to win. The only reason to shell out that kind of dough is because, 1) you know you're guilty, and 2) you know that there is a very good chance that you are going to lose and will end up shelling out quite a bit more. Of course Trump has another reason as well, he doesn't want it to be exposed to the public what a patholgical lying crook that he in reality actually is. Same reason he refused to reveal his taxes. Can't wait for that audit to be over so he can finally release those tax returns like he promised eh!
                        Last edited by JimL; 11-20-2016, 07:03 PM.

Comment

President Crook, in other words.
                          No that would be Jacob Zuma.
                          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I'm sorry Leonhard, this makes no sense to me. His lawyers got their lawyers to agree that there was no way they were going to get more than the $25 million.
                            That doesn't make him a crook if he had money to pay more, if anything that means that the case was nowhere near worth the $750m (that you mention), and rather than a long drawn out fight where they may get some of their money or none of it, take the $25million and be done with it.

Typically settling means no admission of guilt from either party.

And to be honest at the end of the day, if it was a long drawn out courtcase, could end up being the cheaper option for Trump (in terms of legal fees).
                            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I think he's focused on getting the past behind him and looking to the future. I think that's a good thing.
                              Yeah, he wants to clear the decks so he can get on with torturing ‘terrorists’ or playing golf. Maybe if he tied the terrorist by his ankles to the back of his buggy he could do both at the same time.
                              Last edited by firstfloor; 11-21-2016, 07:24 AM.
                              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                                Yeah, he wants to clear the decks so he can get on with torturing ‘terrorists’ or playing golf. Maybe if he tied the terrorist by his ankles to the back of his buggy he could both at the same time.
                                Donald Trump in Happy Gilmore 2! That works for me!
                                That's what
                                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment