Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's Stock Market - Maxine Waters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, Bannon, oops, I mean Trump, wants to put people back to work with a huge infrastructure rebuild now, because it needs to be done, and interest rates are so low. What a great idea, why didn't Obama and the democrats think of that years ago? Can you say obstruction for political gain?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Enact what is the question. You don't just repeal and enact, you have to have a workable plan first and like I said, republicans have no real plan, never have had one, and they certainly don't have any idea in the making that would support those things they say they like, and Trump says he will keep, that are in Obamacare.
      Didn't stop Obama when he got the ACA passed. We passed it and frankly are STILL not overly sure what's in it.

Pediatric dental even if you aren't insuring a child? Seriously?

Originally posted by Jim
      Yes, it is within the Governors power to appoint whoever he wants to fill the Senate seat, including himself, and it would nicely get him out of that fix he finds himself in down there in Alabama. I believe they're talking impeachment, no?
      I admit, I had to look it up myself. Alabama uses special election, not appointment. I knew not all states did but wasn't sure about Alabama off the top of my head. So no, he can't.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/electio...es-senate.aspx
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        I gotta say, in return, that I'm not sure how you can say this with a straight face about a bill which we needed to pass so we could find out what was in it. And it's not like Romneycare was a huge hit with Republicans.
        Uhh, easily? Pelosi was talking about how people won't appreciate the reform until its actually been passed because of all the hooplah surrounding it. The idea that we wouldn't know what was in the bill until after we passed it was a right wing talking point and not reflective of reality.

Originally posted by me
        Why would people whose whole goal was to obstruct and win the white house back after nothing happened want to play ball? And if your version of events is true, then why do we have this complicated exchange system instead of just single payer health care in the first place? Surely that's the more liberal option?
        Originally posted by OBP
        This way they could get the insurance companies to buy in and help craft the thing.
        Can you break that down for me?

That sort of thing tends to happen when the facts get heavily spun in your favor by an obliging press.
        Interesting. Which facts that Obama has used as evidence of economic recovery got spun in what way by which members of the press to mislead us?

An economy growing at the slowest post-depression rate since forever is hardly one to crow about. And generally, IMO, government intervention tends to hamper recovery more than help it. Obstruction by either party preventing intervention is fine by me.
        Nobodies crowing. It's just a fact that we're better off today than 8 years ago. And I'd be really interested into seeing the basis for that second claim of yours because it sounds like echo chamber talking points.
        Last edited by Jaecp; 11-21-2016, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Hey, Bannon, oops, I mean Trump, wants to put people back to work with a huge infrastructure rebuild now, because it needs to be done, and interest rates are so low. What a great idea, why didn't Obama and the democrats think of that years ago? Can you say obstruction for political gain?
          Republicans in congress only seem to be fiscally conservative when they aren't in power.

Comment

You don't remember the great stimulus plan boondoggle for all the shovel ready jobs that weren't so shovel ready?

President Obama's Council on Jobs and Competitiveness met today in Durham, NC at Cree Inc., a company that manufactures energy-efficient LED lighting. One of the Council's recommendations to President Obama was to streamline the federal permit process for construction and infrastructure projects. It was explained to Obama that the permitting process can delay projects for "months to years ... and in many cases even cause projects to be abandoned ... I'm sure that when you implemented the Recovery Act your staff briefed you on many of these challenges." At this point, Obama smiled and interjected, "Shovel-ready was not as ... uh .. shovel-ready as we expected." The Council, led by GE's Jeffrey Immelt, erupted in laughter.

Shortly after the passage of the Recovery Act in 2009, Vice President Joseph Biden urged local politicians not to spend the money on "stupid things." They ignored his advice, and so did Mr. Biden. The federal government poured billions into the government and education sectors, where unemployment was low, but spent only about 10% on promised infrastructure, though the unemployment rate in construction was running in double digits. And some of the individual projects funded by the law were truly appalling. $783,000 was spent on a study of why young people consume malt liquor and marijuana. $92,000 went to the Army Corps of Engineers for costumes for mascots like Bobber the Water Safety Dog. $219,000 funded a study of college "hookups."

In aggregate, the spending helped drive federal outlays from less than $3 trillion in 2008 to $3.5 trillion in 2009, where federal spending has roughly remained ever since.
            The legacy is a slow-growth economy: Growth over the last 18 quarters has averaged just 2.4% -- pretty shoddy compared to better than 4% growth during the Reagan recovery in the 1980s and almost 4% in the 1990s recovery.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Sources for my cites...

http://nation.foxnews.com/president-...dy-we-expected

http://nypost.com/2012/01/29/how-the...imulus-failed/

I just didn't want to confuse Jimmy any more than I had to.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                Didn't stop Obama when he got the ACA passed. We passed it and frankly are STILL not overly sure what's in it.

Pediatric dental even if you aren't insuring a child? Seriously?
                Echo chamber! Congress knows whats in the legislation. You can bet your bottom dollar that republicans went over the entire bill with a fine toothed comb.
                I admit, I had to look it up myself. Alabama uses special election, not appointment. I knew not all states did but wasn't sure about Alabama off the top of my head. So no, he can't.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/electio...es-senate.aspx
                I believe you are misreading the link Tea. "Alabama-interim appt-yes!" The Governor is allowed to make an interim appt. prior to the special election.

Comment

Echo chamber! Congress knows whats in the legislation. You can bet your bottom dollar that republicans went over the entire bill with a fine toothed comb.
                  Nonsense - it literally wasn't possible. The thing was a mountain and very, very few had read it - there was not enough time from the intro to the passage for a decent reading.

Originally posted by Jim
                  I believe you are misreading the link Tea. "Alabama-interim appt-yes!" The Governor is allowed to make an interim appt. prior to the special election.
                  "
                  On such a day as the governor may direct, unless vacancy occurs between 2 and 4 months before the next regularly-scheduled general election, in which case it is held at that election. If vacancy occurs within 60 days of the next regularly-scheduled general election, a special election must be held on the first Tuesday after 60 days have elapsed since the vacancy occurred.
                  On such a day as the governor may direct, unless vacancy occurs between 2 and 4 months before the next regularly-scheduled general election, in which case it is held at that election. If vacancy occurs within 60 days of the next regularly-scheduled general election, a special election must be held on the first Tuesday after 60 days have elapsed since the vacancy occurred."

No, I read it right. We just passed an election and the next is way too far from the 2 - 4 months. He has to set a special, not an interim appointment.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Nonsense - it literally wasn't possible. The thing was a mountain and very, very few had read it - there was not enough time from the intro to the passage for a decent reading.
                    Balogna. They have interns, they had plenty of time to read it, it was a long drawn out fight. And if republicans didn't have time to read it, if they didn't understand what was in it, then they couldn't have argued so vehemently against it.

"
                    On such a day as the governor may direct, unless vacancy occurs between 2 and 4 months before the next regularly-scheduled general election, in which case it is held at that election. If vacancy occurs within 60 days of the next regularly-scheduled general election, a special election must be held on the first Tuesday after 60 days have elapsed since the vacancy occurred.
                    On such a day as the governor may direct, unless vacancy occurs between 2 and 4 months before the next regularly-scheduled general election, in which case it is held at that election. If vacancy occurs within 60 days of the next regularly-scheduled general election, a special election must be held on the first Tuesday after 60 days have elapsed since the vacancy occurred."

No, I read it right. We just passed an election and the next is way too far from the 2 - 4 months. He has to set a special, not an interim appointment.
                    I believe that Bentley can still appoint an interim replacement to fill the vacancy prior to the special election.

Comment

Echo chamber!
                      Jimmy, WAKE UP! You're having that dream again!

Comment