Orthodox Quote of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orthodox Quote of the Day

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

When I am dead, come to me at my grave, and the more often the better. Whatever is in your soul, whatever may have happened to you, come to me as when I was alive and kneeling on the ground, cast all your bitterness upon my grave. Tell me everything and I shall listen to you, and all the bitterness will fly away from you. And as you spoke to me when I was alive, do so now. For I am living and I shall be forever. - St. Seraphim of Sarov
      sigpic

Comment

“Have confidence in the compassion of our Creator. Reflect well on what you are now doing, and keep before you the things you have done. Lift up your eyes to the overflowing compassion of heaven, and while He waits for you, draw near in tears to our merciful Judge. Having before your mind that He is a Just Judge, do not take your sins lightly; and having also in mind that He is compassionate, do not despair. The God-Man gives man confidence before God.”

~ St. Gregory the Great
        sigpic

Comment

These are all great. I especially like the last one. Like Aslan in the Chronicles of Narnia, God/Aslan wasn't soft on sin, but always extended mercy afterwards.

Comment

If anyone accuses the sun of want of light, he has not dimmed the brightness of the sunbeams with his scoffs; the sun will still remain the sun, and the fault finder will only prove the feebleness of his own visual organs; and, if he should endeavor to persuade all whom he meets and will listen to him not to give in to the common opinions about the sun, nor to attach more weight to the experiences of all than to the surmises of one individual by "assigning victory to mere quantity," his nonsense will be wasted on those who can use their eyes. - Gregory of Nyssa, Contra Eunomius
            sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

"[The plans of the Arians] could not succeed with men who cared only for the empire of Christ, and for the Powers that never die; with all their wish to maltreat him, they could discover nothing, whether word or act, that could pain the Christian; confiscation could not touch him whose only possession was his faith; exile had no terrors for one who walked in every land with the same feelings, and looked on every city as strange because of the shortness of his sojourn in it, yet as home, because all human creatures are in equal bondage with himself; the endurance of blows, or tortures, or death, if it might be for the Truth, was an object of fear not even to women, but to every Christian it was the supremest bliss to suffer the worst for this their hope, and they were only grieved that nature allowed them but one death, and that they could devise no means of dying many times in this battle before the Truth." - St. Basil the Great, responding to attempts by the Emperor Valens to forcibly convert his city to Arianism [the emperor backed down]
                sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

The Lenten Triodion published by St. Tikhon's Seminary Press
                            sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X