Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Orthodox Quote of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the fire of Thy fear, O Christ, Thou hast renewed the eyes of my soul that were inflamed and darkened by lust. Shine upon me with the light of salvation, that I may glorify Thee forever.

Hating the surfeit of the passions, O my humble soul, feast rather upon the rich food of God's blessings. Take thy delight in the pleasures of the Fast, turn away from the bitterness of lust, and thou shalt live forever.

Hardened in soul and darkened by the drunkenness of the passions, I cannot look at all on Thee, the only God. Therefore take pity on me, grant me light, and open to me the gates of repentance.

O pure Virgin, through thee our earthly and corruptible nature is made heavenly; with thy fervent intercession bring our prayers and our petitions before the God and King of thee and all men.

O ye faithful, with joy let us enter upon the beginning of the Fast. Let us not be of sad countenance but let us wash our faces in the water of dispassion; and let us bless and exalt Christ above all forever.

Let us anoint the head of our soul with the oil of loving compassion, and let us not use vain repetitions when praying to our Father in heaven; and let us bless and exalt Him above all forever.

O ye faithful, let us sing in praise to the Father, eternal and without beginning, and to His coeternal Son, and to the Spirit that shines forth from the Father, three consubstantial Persons but one in sovereign power and rule.

O Mary, called by God, truly thou art the mercy seat of the faithful; for through tee forgiveness is freely bestowed upon all. cease not to intercede before thy Son and Lord, gaining His gracious favor for us who sing thy praises.

Fasting for the space of forty days, the Lord consecrated and made holy this present Fast. As we start upon it brethren, we cry out: 'Bless and exalt Christ above all forever.'
    - troparia from Matins, Monday of the first week of Lent
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

How does one attain humility of soul?

Keep your mind in hell, and despair not.

- St. Silouan the Athonite
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

O my Christ, when Thou wast hanging on the Cross, Thou hast made dark the sun, and shone upon the faithful with the true light of forgiveness: illumine me, for I am darkened by the delusions of the adversary; that, walking in the light of Thy commandments, I may come in purity unto the saving dawn of Thy Resurrection.

Hanging as a vine upon the Wood, O Christ our Savior, Thou hast made the ends of the earth to drink from the wine of incorruption. Therefore do I cry aloud: 'I am darkened always by the hateful drunkenness of sin; five me to drink from the sweet wine of true compunction, and grant me now the strength, O Savior, to fast from sensual pleasures, for Thou art good and lovest mankind.'

Great is the power of Thy Cross! It has made the flower of abstinence to grow within the Church; it has stripped bare and uprooted the sinful greed that Adam showed in Eden. Adam's greed brought death to men, but the Cross brings immortality and incorruption to the world. As though from some new river of Paradise, there flows from it the quickening stream of Thy Blood mingled with water, restoring all to life. Through this Thy Cross make sweet the Fast for us, O God of Israel, great in mercy.

If we desire to partake of the divine Passover that comes not from Egypt but from Zion, let us through repentance put away the leaven of sin. Let us gird our loins through the mortification of sensual pleasure; let us make our feet beautiful with shoes that keep us from straying into evil paths; and let us take as our support the staff of faith. Let us not emulate the enemies of the Master's Cross, whose god is their belly, but let us follow the Savior of our souls, who by fasting showed us how to gain the victory against the devil.

Thou art glorified in the memorials of Thy saints, O Christ our God; at their intercessions send down upon us Thy great mercy.

When the Ewe-Lamb, Thy Mother, saw Thee nailed to the Cross, O Lord, in dismay she said, "O my beloved Son, what is this I see? Through they delighted in Thy many miracles, such is the reward that the lawless and disobedient people has given Thee in return! But glory be to Thine ineffable self-abasement, O Master."

-- stichera from Vespers, first Thursday in Lent

sigpic

Comment

We thank you, Lord Jesus Christ, for You have led us to this present time of fasting towards salvation. We thank You, for You have arranged to heal the great wounds of our souls in this short time, and to effect the rejection of our many sins. Good Master, we pray You, remove from us pharisaical hypocrisy in fasting, and banish all false sadness. Drive from us pride in our self-moderation and self-denial in deed, word or thought. Fill us with light and truth as You prescribed. Strengthen us in the struggle against passions, and in the war against sin. Through alienation from passions prepare us to follow You. By fasting You have shown us the way to victory over the devil, and how to partake in Your death and Resurrection and to rejoice in eternal joy, which You have prepared for those who hunger and thirst for Your righteousness. For You are the God of mercy, and glory is due to You, together with the Father, and Your all-holy, good, and life-creating Spirit, now and ever and forever. Amen.

Ambon prayer at the close of liturgy for the Sunday of Orthodoxy (first Sunday in Lent)

sigpic

Comment

Grant me contrition, estrangement from evil, and perfect amendment, for I am sunk in the depths of bodily passion and separated far from Thee, O God, the King of all; and I have no other hope but Thee. In the abundance of Thy goodness save me, the prodigal, O Jesus all-powerful, the Savior of our souls.

When he had been cleansed by fasting, great Moses saw the God for whom he longed. Eagerly follow his example, O my humble soul; make haste to cleanse thyself from evil in the day of abstinence, and so thou shalt behold the Lord who grants thee forgiveness, for He is all-powerful and loves mankind.

Let us now set out with joy upon the second week of the Fast; and like Elijah the Tishbite let us fashion for ourselves from day to day, O brethren, a fiery chariot from the four great virtues; let us exalt our minds through freedom from the passions; let us arm our flesh with purity and our hands with acts of compassion; let us make our feet beautiful with the preaching of the Gospel; and let us put the enemy to flight and gain the victory.

Come, let us cleanse ourselves by almsgiving and acts of mercy to the poor, not sounding a trumpet or making a show of our charity. Let not our left hand know what our right hand is doing; let not vainglory scatter the fruit of our almsgiving; but in secret let us call on Him that knows all secrets: "Father, forgive us our trespasses, for Thou lovest mankind."

- stichera at Vespers on Sunday evening for the Sunday of Orthodoxy

sigpic

Comment

Just as [St. Silouan] believed the second commandment - of love towards one's neighbor - to be a sure guiding principle in checking the soundness of our path towards God, so [he] held that in distinguishing good from evil, it was not so much the purpose that counted - however holy and lofty it may appear - as the means chosen to achieve that purpose.

God alone is absolute. Evil, which has no original essence but is merely the resistance of the free creature to Him that is before all ages - to God - cannot be absolute. Therefore evil in the literal sense does not, and cannot, exist. All evil effected by free beings must live like a parasite on the body of the good. Evil is bound to find a justification for itself, must appear disguised as good - often the highest good. Evil always and inevitably contains an element appearing to have a positive value, and it is this which seduces man. Evil strives to present its positive aspect as a jewel so precious that all means are justified to attain it.

Absolute good cannot be achieved in man's empirical existence - there is an element of imperfection in all human undertakings. This presence of imperfection in human good on the one hand, and the inevitable presence of some pretence of good in evil on the other, often make it extremely difficult to distinguish good from evil.

[St. Silouan] believed that evil always proceeds by means of deceit, camouflaging itself as good, whereas good in order to realise itself does not need the cooperation of evil. Therefore, so soon as wrong means - malice, lying, violence and their like - make their appearance, one is entering a domain alien to the spirit of Christ. Good is not attained by evil means and the end does not justify the means. Good not obtained by good means is not good. This is the testament we have received from the Apostles and holy Fathers. Although good frequently triumphs and by its appearance rectifies evil, this does not mean that evil has led to good, that good has come out of evil. This is impossible. But the power of God is such that where it appears, it heals all things so wholly that no scar remains - the damage caused by evil is effaced - for God is the fulness of life and creates life from nothing.

Archimandrite Sophrony, St. Silouan the Athonite

sigpic

Comment

Think of lying in your bed as an image of the lying in your grave; then you will not sleep so much. When you eat at table, remember the food of worms; then you will not live so highly. When you drink water, remember the thirst of the flames; then you will certainly do violence to your nature. . . Let the thought of eternal fire lie down with you in the evening and get up with you in the morning. Then indolence will never overwhelm you when it is time to sing the psalms.

True compunction is pain of soul without any distraction. It offers itself no rest and thinks hourly of death. It stands in wait for the God Who brings comfort, like cool waters. . . .

John Climacus, The Ladder of Divine Ascent Step 7

sigpic

Comment

O Christ, Thou has stretched out Thy sinless hands upon the Cross, gathering together the ends of the earth. Therefore I cry to Thee: 'Gather together my scattered mind, taken captive by the passions; cleanse me in every part through abstinence, and make me a sharer in Thy sufferings.'

Fasting gave strength to the [three] children in Babylon of old and made them, as it is written, mightier than the flames of fire. Fast, then, my humble soul, kindling within thyself love for the Master, and thou shalt escape from the Gehenna to come and burn up the destroying passions.

The season of the Fast is one of gladness. In shining purity and unfeigned love, filled with the light of prayer and every virtue, with rejoicing let us cry aloud: 'Most Holy Cross of Christ, that hast brought us life and joy, count us all worthy to venerate thee with pure hearts, and grant us forgiveness and great mercy.'

When Thou wast crucified in the flesh, O Lord, Thou hast crucified our fallen nature with Thyself; when Thy side was pierced by the spear, Thou hast pierced the serpent that destroyed mankind. Nail my flesh with the fear of Thee and wound my soul with Thy love, that, gazing on Thy Passion, in abstinence I may pass through the appointed time of the Fast, governing not my stomach only, but all the other entrances of sin. Repenting over my past sins, may I offer Thee in sacrifice a humble spirit and a contrite heart. O deliver me from my offenses in Thy love for mankind.

- stichera from Vespers, on the second Tuesday of Lent

sigpic

Comment

Pierced in Thy side and hung upon the Tree, Thou hast poured out life upon me, who was slain by the malice of the serpent through eating from the Tree. Therefore I glorify Thee, O Christ, and entreat Thy loving-kindness: grant me with compunction to complete the Fast, and to venerate Thy Passion and Thy Rising.

The fruit of the Tree brought sorrow to the first-formed man, for Thou hast banished him from Paradise. But, nailed upon the Tree as man, O Savior, Thou hast called him back to Paradise again. Therefore I cry out to Thee, Deliverer: "Set me free from all my sorrow, cleansing me by fasting, tears and penitence, O most loving Jesus, the Savior of our souls."

We sing the praises of Thy lifegiving Cross, O Lord, for it has slain death and caused life to blossom in the world. And now we offer this Thy Cross to Thee in intercession: in these holy days fortify us as we fast, and in the multitude of Thy mercies grant us strength against the passions and the victory of peace, for Thou lovest mankind.

Our first parents did not fast from the Tree of Knowledge, as the Creator had commanded them; and because of their disobedience they harvested the fruit of death, being banished from the Tree of Life and the delight of Paradise. Therefore, O ye faithful, let us fast from the food that perishes and from the passions that destroy us, that we may reap life from the divine Cross, returning with the Good Thief to our ancient fatherland and receiving great mercy from Christ our God.

Despising every earthly thing, bravely withstanding torture, ye attained the blessedness for which ye hoped, and were made heirs of the Kingdom of Heaven, O martyrs worthy of all praise. Since ye have boldness before god who loves mankind, pray that peace be given to the world, and to our souls great mercy.

When the Ewe saw her own Lamb hastening to the slaughter, eagerly she followed Him and cried aloud: 'Where art Thou going, O my sweetest child? O most beloved Jesus, sinless Lord, rich in mercy, O longsuffering Christ, why dost Thou go so swiftly and so fearlessly? Speak to Thy handmaiden, my well-beloved Son: do not pass Thy Mother by without a word, O all-compassionate God, who grantest to the world great mercy.'

- stichera for Vespers, second Thursday in Lent

sigpic

Comment

Thou art glorified in the memorials of Thy saints, O Christ our God: at their intercessions send down upon us Thy great mercy.

Thou has accepted the patient suffering of the holy martyrs: in Thy love accept our hymns of praise, and at their intercessions grant us Thy great mercy.

Since, O saints, ye have boldness in the presence of the Savior, pray without ceasing for us sinners, asking that remission of offenses and great mercy be granted to our souls.

O martyrs of the Lord, living oblations, spiritual burnt-offerings, perfect victims sacrificed to God, sheep that know God and are known by Him, whose fold no wolf can enter: pray that we be led with you to feed beside the waters of repose.

Where re all the attractions of this world? Where is the vain show of passing things? Where are the silver and the gold? Where are the crowds of servants and their clamor? All are dust, all ashes, all a shadow. Come, then, and let us cry to the immortal King: O Lord, count worthy of eternal joy those whom Thou hast taken from us, and give them rest in the blessedness that grows not old.

David the Prophet, O Theotokos, has through thee become the forefather of God. In hymns of praise to the Lord who magnified thee, he spoke of thee, saying: 'At Thy right hand stood the Queen.' Choosing to become incarnate of thee without a father, God has made thee Mother and source of life, that He might renew His own image, corrupted by the passions. Finding the lost sheep that had wandered on the hills, He laid it on His shoulders, and brought it to the Father, and united it by His own will to the powers of heaven, and saved the world: for He is Christ, great and rich in mercy.

- stichera for Friday Vespers in Lent, Tone 4

sigpic

Comment

I cease not from sin, O Lord, nor do I perceive the love Thou showest me. Vanquish my blindness, for Thou alone art good, and have mercy upon me.

O Lord, from fear of Thee I tremble, yet I cease not from doing evil. When called to trial, who does not fear the judge? What man, desiring to be healed, angers the physician, as I do? Take pity on my weakness, O forbearing Lord, and have mercy upon me.

Woe is me, for I am like the barren fig tree, and I fear that I also shall be cursed and cut down. But, heavenly Husbandman, Christ my God, make my dry and barren soul bear fruit. Receive me as the Prodigal Son, and have mercy upon me.

O Lord born of the Virgin, pass over my manifold transgressions and wipe out all my sins. Grant me the firm intent to turn back unto Thee, for Thou alone lovest mankind, and have mercy upon me.

- stichera for Sunday Vespers in Lent, Tone 5

I have sinned against Thee countless times, and I await countless torments: gnashing of teeth and weeping that finds no comfort, the fire of Gehenna, darkness and the dwelling of the damned. Give me tears, O righteous Judge, that I may gain remission and release from my wickedness, as I fast and cry to Thee: 'Take pity on me, Christ my Master, in Thy great and abundant mercy.'

I have gone astray upon the mountains of bitter sin: seek me, O Word, and call me back to Thee, and drive out from my understanding all the ways of wickedness. Restore me from death to life and cleanse me by fasting, as I weep unceasingly and cry to Thee: 'Take pity on me, Christ my Master, in Thy great and abundant mercy.'

As we start upon the third week of the Fast, O ye faithful, let us glorify the Holy Trinity, and joyfully pass through the time that still remains. Causing passions of the flesh to wither from our souls, let us gather divine flowers, weaving garlands for the queen of days, that with crowns upon our heads we may sing in praise of Christ the Victor.

Throwing off from my unruly mind the bridle of the Father, I have lived with bestial thoughts of sin, and in my misery like the Prodigal I have wasted all my life. Forsaking the food that gives strength to man's heart, I have fed upon the pleasure that gives passing satisfaction. Yet, good Father, shut not against me the door of Thy compassionate love, but opening it wide receive me as the Prodigal Son and save me.

- stichera for Vespers on Sunday evening, second Sunday in Lent

sigpic

Comment

O You who love man, if You should mark iniquities, what hope is there for our salvation? But, Lord, in Your mercy send down upon Your people Your help from on high.
                          - Troparion of the Prophecy, Sixth Hour, Thursday of the Third Week in Lent

O Savior, who art the true sweetness, of old Thou hast made sweet the bitter waters of Marah with the wood that was a figure of the divine Cross. Crucified on it, Thou wast pleased to taste gall; Thy side was pierced, and from it flowed the water of forgiveness, refashioning our mortal nature. Therefore we glorify Thine ineffable power and we pray: 'in this season of the Fast fill our hearts with fear of Thee, O Lord; pardon our offenses, and grant us Thy great mercy.'

O Word, who wast stretched out upon the Cross, gathering together those that had gone far from Thee, raise up my thoughts from the dunghill of the passions, and make me rich in all the virtues; grant to my heart the pure fear of Thee, and to my soul Thy perfect love, that severs me from carnal love. Through abstinence, prayer and supplication, may I find favor with Thee in this present season, and with joy may I behold the day of Thy Rising, receiving Thy great mercy.

Count us worthy, Christ the Word, after passing through the third week of the Fast, to look upon the wood of Thy lifegiving Cross and to venerate it with holy reverence. Grant us rightly to sing and magnify Thy power, to praise Thy Passion, and to come with pure hearts to Thy glorious and holy Resurrection, the mystical Passover whereby Adam is restored again to Paradise.

O Christ our God, the life of all, Thou wast hung upon the wood of the Cross: restore to life my soul, slain by my sins, and suffer not Thy sheep to perish utterly, O good Shepherd. I have rebelled against Thy commandments, and through my willful love of sin I have wasted the wealth of sinlessness that Thou hast given me. Living as the Prodigal, I have grown corrupt and loathsome; but bring me to repentance and renew me, for Thou alone art full of mercy.

- stichera for Vespers, Thursday of the Third Week of Lent

sigpic

Comment

As the Prodigal Son, I also come to Thee, O compassionate Lord, and I fall down before Thee. Accept me as one of Thy hired servants, and have mercy on me.

As the man who fell among thieves and was wounded, I too have fallen through my sins and my soul is wounded. To whom shall I flee for refuge, guilty that I am, if not to Thee, the merciful Physician of our souls? Pour on me, O God, the oil of Thy great mercy.

Sinner though I be, O Savior, cut me not down as the barren fig tree. Grant me forgiveness for my many years of sin, and water my soul with tears of repentance, that as fruit I may offer Thee acts of mercy and compassion.

Thou art the Sun of righteousness; illumine the hearts of those who praise Thee, singing: "Glory be to Thee, O Lord."
                            - stichera for Sunday Evening Vespers in Lent, Tone 7

O ye faithful, let us take upon ourselves great labors in this season of abstinence, that we may obtain great glory, delivered from the flames of hell through the mercy of our great God and King.

Now that we have passed beyond the middle point in the time of the Fast, let us manifest in ourselves a beginning of divine glory, and let us hasten eagerly towards our journey's end, the life of holiness, that we may receive the joy that grows not old.

Having passed beyond the middle point in this holy season of the Fast, with joy let us go forward to the part that still remains, anointing our souls with the oil of almsgiving. So may we be counted worthy to venerate the divine Passion of Christ our God, and to attain His dread and holy Resurrection.

Having planted His vineyard and called the laborers, the Savior is at hand. Come, all who have striven to keep the Fast, and let us enjoy our reward; for the giver is rich and full of compassion. After laboring a little, let us receive His mercy on our souls.

Adam fell among thieving thoughts; his mind was robbed, his soul wounded, and he lay naked with none to help. The priest that was before the Law did not attend to him; the Levite that came after the Law did not look upon him. Thou alone hast helped him, O God who camest not from Samaria but from the Theotokos: Glory be to Thee.

Thy martyrs, O Lord, denied Thee not and forsook not Thy commandments: at their intercessions have mercy upon us.

With the Archangel, O ye faithful, let us praise the heavenly Bridal Chamber and the Gate that was kept truly sealed. Hail, for through thee the Savior of all came to dwell among us, Christ the Giver of Life. With thy hand, O Lady undefiled, cast down the godless tyrants, our enemies, for thou art the hope of Christians.

- stichera for Vespers on Sunday Evening, Fourth Sunday in Lent

sigpic

Comment

The rulers of the people took counsel together against the Lord and against His anointed.

Let us bring to Christ pure senses and affections, and as His friends let us sacrifice our lives for His sake. Let us not, as Judas, choke ourselves with the cares of this life, but in the inner chambers of our hearts let us cry: "Our Father who art in heaven, deliver us from the evil one.

Judas ran to the lawless scribes and said: 'What will ye give me, and I shall deliver Him to you?' And while they conspired together, Thou against whom they were conspiring, was Thyself standing in their midst. O Thou who knowest the hearts of men, spare our souls.

In loving compassion let us minister to God, as Mary at the supper; and let us not as Judas acquire love of money, that we may ever abide with Christ our God.

Because of the raising of Lazarus, the children of the Hebrews cried Hosanna unto Thee, O Lord who lovest mankind; but Judas the transgressor had no wish to understand.

At Thy supper, O Christ our God, Thou hast foretold to Thy disciples: 'One of you shall betray me.' But Judas the transgressor had no wish to understand.

When John asked Thee, O Lord, 'Who is he that shall betray Thee?' Thou hast shown him through the giving of the bread. But Judas the transgressor had no wish to understand.

With thirty pieces of silver, O Lord, and with a false kiss, the Jews sought to kill Thee. But Judas the transgressor had no wish to understand.

During the washing of the feet, O Christ our God, Thou hast commanded Thy disciples, 'Do as ye have seen Me do.' Bud Judas the transgressor had no wish to understand.

As Thou gavest food to the disciples at the Supper, knowing the plot for Thy betrayal, Thou hast accused Judas of it. Thou hast understood that he would not come to repentance, yet hast thou desired to show to all that Thou wast betrayed of Thine own will, to save the world from the enemy. O longsuffering Lord, glory to Thee.

Today Judas forsakes the Master and accepts the devil: he is blinded by the passion of avarice and darkened he falls from the Light. For how could he see, who sold the Light for thirty pieces of silver? But He who suffered for the world has shone upon us as the dawn. To Him let us cry: "O Thou who sufferest with men and for their sakes, glory to Thee."

Today Judas makes a pretense of godliness and becomes a stranger to the gifts of grace; though a disciple, he turns traitor, and under a guise of friendship he conceals deceit. In his foolishness he prefers thirty pieces of silver to the Master's love, and acts as guide to the lawless Sanhedrin. But we have Christ as our salvation; let us glorify Him.

As brethren in Christ, let us acquire brotherly love; and let us not be lacking in compassion for our neighbor, lest for money's sake we be condemned like the unmerciful servant, and repent like Judas to no purpose.

The disciple agreed upon the price of the Master, and for thirty pieces of silver he sold the Lord; with a deceitful kiss he betrayed Him to the transgressors to be put to death.

Today the Creator of heaven and earth said to his disciples: "The hour is at hand, and Judas who betrays me has drawn near. Let none of you deny Me when ye see Me on the Cross between two thieves. For as man I suffer, but as Lover of mankind I save those who believe in Me."

Today Judas watches how he may deliver up the Lord, the pre-eternal Savior of the world, who with five loaves satisfied the multitude. Today the transgressor denies his Teacher; though a disciple he betrays the Master. He sells for money the Lord who fed His people with manna in the wilderness.

Today the Jews nailed to the Cross the Lord who divided the sea with a rod and let them through the wilderness. Today they pierced with a lance the side of Him who for their sake smote Egypt with plagues. They gave Him gall to drink, who rained down manna on them for food.

O Lord, as Thou camest to Thy voluntary Passion, Thou hast cried aloud to Thy disciples: "If ye could not even watch with Me one hour, why then did ye promise to die for My sake? See how Judas sleeps not, but makes haste to deliver Me to the transgressors? Awake, rise and pray, and let none deny Me when he sees Me on the Cross." O longsuffering Lord, glory to Thee.

What reason led thee, Judas, to betray the Savior? Did He expel thee from the company of the apostles? Did He deprive thee of the gift of healing? When thou wast at supper with the others, did He drive thee from the table? When He washed the others' feet, did He pass thee by? How many are the blessings that thou hast forgotten! Thou art condemned for thine ingratitude, but His measureless longsuffering and great mercy are proclaimed to all.

He who clothes Himself in light as in a garment, stood naked in the judgement; on His cheek He received blows from the hands which He had formed. The lawlwss people nailed to the Cross the Lord of glory. Then the veil of the temple was rent in two and the sun was darkened, for it could not bear to see such outrage done to God, before whom all things tremble. Let us worship Him.

The disciple denied Thee and the thief cried aloud, "Remember me, O Lord, in Thy Kingdom."

Neither the quaking of the earth, nor the splitting of the rocks, nor the rending of the veil of the temple, nor the resurrection of the dead persuaded the Jews. But render unto them, O Lord, according to their works, for they have devised vain things against Thee.

Thus says the Lord to the Jews: "O My people, what have I done unto thee? Or wherein have I wearied thee? I gave light to thy blind and cleansed thy lepers, I raised up the man who lay upon his bed. O My people, what have I done unto thee, and how hast thou repaid Me? Instead of manna thou hast given Me gall, instead of water vinegar; instead of loving Me, thou hast nailed Me to the Cross. I can endure no more. I shall call My Gentiles and they shall glorify Me with the Father and the Spirit; and I shall bestow on them eternal life."

O Lord, Thou hast taken as Thy companion the thief who had soiled his hands with blood; in Thy goodness and love for mankind, number us also with him.

Few were the words that the thief uttered upon the Cross, yet great was the faith that he showed. In one moment he was saved; he opened the gates of Paradise and was the first to enter in. O Lord, who has accepted his repentance, glory to Thee.

Seeing Thee crucified, O Christ, the whole creation trembled. The foundations of the earth shook with fear at Thy power. For when Thou wast raised up today, the people of the Hebrews was destroyed. The veil of the temple was rent in twain, the graves were opened, and the dead rose from the tombs. When the centurion saw the wonder, he was filled with dread. And Thy Mother, standing by Thee, cried with a mother's sorrow: "How shall I not lament and strike my breast, seeing Thee stripped naked and hung upon the wood as one condemned?" Thou wast crucified and buried, and Thou hast risen from the dead: O Lord, glory to Thee.

- from Matins of Great Friday

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X