Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is the Stationary Earth the Heaviest Object in the Universe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    If he was baptized before the age of three it would have been in Austria where he was born.
    Shhh... I'm trying to invoke Godwin
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by hansgeorg View Post
      Or bishop elect.

I think even your community, while schismatic, accepts that St Ambrose was a saint, and as is well known, he was not just elected "bishop of Milan" before being "a bishop", but even before being a baptised Christian.
      Yes, St. Ambrose was elected to be the bishop of Milan while still a catechumen; so was Nectarius, the patriarch of Constantinople who succeeded St. Gregory the Theologian. However, a bishop elect is not a bishop.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Yes, St. Ambrose was elected to be the bishop of Milan while still a catechumen; so was Nectarius, the patriarch of Constantinople who succeeded St. Gregory the Theologian. However, a bishop elect is not a bishop.
        A bishop elect, according to Catholic theology, may already do some - non-liturgic - duties of a bishop, like judging.

It has happened that a bishop elect has had to wait for a bishop to arrive to consecrate him, this has in our tradition meant that non-bishop priests have had to do the liturgic stuff, as much as can be done without a bishop, while the bishop elect can already set conflicts at rest by judging.

That would basically have been Pope Michael's position between 1990 and 2011, if he was right (I have also considered whether he was originally an antipope who later became Pope by default, like if there was a Pope Krav in Zagreb - but though that was included in a Greek man's list of para-Catholic movements, it seems to have been a joke, not a serious claim).
        http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment

• Good grief this has turned into a discussion of the sedevacantist thesis?

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            Good grief this has turned into a discussion of the sedevacantist thesis?
            Not exactly.

A sedevacantist like Father Cekada does not subscribe to any orthopapist or alteropapist thesis.

This became a discussion of the orthopapist (or some would say alteropapist) thesis that Pope Michael was Pope elect from 1990 to 2011 and since 2011 even Pope more normally, since ordained and consecrated bishop that year.

Some had not grasped that a layman could be Pope or Bishop elect.

Comment

• Originally posted by hansgeorg View Post
              A bishop elect, according to Catholic theology, may already do some - non-liturgic - duties of a bishop, like judging.
              Why? The locum tenens would handle that.
              It has happened that a bishop elect has had to wait for a bishop to arrive to consecrate him, this has in our tradition meant that non-bishop priests have had to do the liturgic stuff, as much as can be done without a bishop, while the bishop elect can already set conflicts at rest by judging.

That would basically have been Pope Michael's position between 1990 and 2011, if he was right (I have also considered whether he was originally an antipope who later became Pope by default, like if there was a Pope Krav in Zagreb - but though that was included in a Greek man's list of para-Catholic movements, it seems to have been a joke, not a serious claim).
              You only need one bishop to consecrate another? That goes against rather venerable tradition. Generally, three are needed; that way, one kook can't consecrate many other kooks.

By the way, Michael IS a joke. Less than ten "electors", including himself?
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Why? The locum tenens would handle that.
                For Rome that would be Camerlengo - or Pope elect.

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                You only need one bishop to consecrate another? That goes against rather venerable tradition. Generally, three are needed; that way, one kook can't consecrate many other kooks.

By the way, Michael IS a joke. Less than ten "electors", including himself?
                He tried to get more electors and eligibles. Later some sede bishops caught wind of his idea and tried it on their own.

As to "you need" - that is for canonical licitness, not for sacramental validity.

And if those sede bishops had been around back then, someone already sacramentally a bishop would have been elected.

I am also not sure whether it was one or two bishops who consecrated Pope Michael, I think two, while the principal would have been an Ukrainean with episcopal orders from Brazilian Apostolic Church/Duarte Costa.

Comment