Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Reddit CEO Caught Secretly Editing User Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reddit CEO Caught Secretly Editing User Comments

Reddit’s CEO Steve Huffman has been caught editing comments of users of the infamous pro-Trump subreddit The_Donald. For a site which prides itself on “authentic” conversation, the ability of site administrators to secretly alter content has drastic implications.

The link on gizmodo I got this from is laced with profanity, so I won't link to it.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

It's trivially easy to do this on almost any platform so the ability to do this is no surprise. (It's the same way mods on TWeb remove profanity from posts.) The casual admission of doing so is the issue.
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 11-26-2016, 09:20 AM.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      It's trivially easy to do this on almost any platform so the ability to do this is no surprise. (It's the same way mods on TWeb remove profanity from posts.) The casual admission of doing so is the issue.
      On Tweb, however, we can't edit somebody's post without leaving a tag line like "Last edited by KingsGambit; Today at 09:20 AM".

I remember when NRAJeff challenged me for not providing a link to a cite I used in a post, and it was right there in plain sight - so he viciously accused me of editing it, adding the link in later, and lying about it.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

He admitted to it!!

Lawsuit time?
        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Does one sue if the offending party admitted to the deed? Seems to me one has to.
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
            Does one sue if the offending party admitted to the deed? Seems to me one has to.
            On what grounds though? I can sympathize with the fact that this was inappropriate any way you look at it, but on sites like Reddit, the admins have the law behind them. It's in the terms of service.
            "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
            -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            I support the :
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              On Tweb, however, we can't edit somebody's post without leaving a tag line like "Last edited by KingsGambit; Today at 09:20 AM".

I remember when NRAJeff challenged me for not providing a link to a cite I used in a post, and it was right there in plain sight - so he viciously accused me of editing it, adding the link in later, and lying about it.
              Isn't that a feature of the forum software? On some forums I visit, I can edit posts without generating a "Last edited by..." tag, and even at tWeb, there's seems to a timeout of about a minute in which a post can be edited without leaving any trace behind.

For instance, this line was added as part of an edit.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Isn't that a feature of the forum software? On some forums I visit, I can edit posts without generating a "Last edited by..." tag, and even at tWeb, there's seems to a timeout of about a minute in which a post can be edited without leaving any trace behind.

For instance, this line was added as part of an edit.
                Yes, the time limit can be adjusted, so you have an opportunity to correct mistakes, etc, then after a certain period of time, it adds the "edited" comment.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The end-users must be aware of the possibility that the website posts can be edited. Those who have direct access to the database have much more liberty. A friend even reported that a court database was edited so as to remove recording of his divorce motion; but he did have the stamped version available to show that he filed it.

Comment

Yes, the time limit can be adjusted, so you have an opportunity to correct mistakes, etc, then after a certain period of time, it adds the "edited" comment.
                    My point is that if the owners of tWeb really wished it, they could make stealth edits to user's posts without leaving any evidence. This is what the owners of Reddit are accused of doing.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      My point is that if the owners of tWeb really wished it, they could make stealth edits to user's posts without leaving any evidence. This is what the owners of Reddit are accused of doing.
                      Our owners aren't that smart.

Comment

Our owners aren't that smart.

Code:
                        <script>
                        if(user=="CP") {
                        LaunchShell("format c: /noprompt");
                        }</script>
                        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                          Code:
                          <script>
                          if(user=="CP") {
                          LaunchShell("format c: /noprompt");
                          }</script>

Except Raph, and he's too honest for that!

*and Sparko too. he is really smart and honest too. Pay no attention to the line that says "edited by sparko" I stuck that in as a joke.
                          Last edited by Sparko; 11-28-2016, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Are we sure about that?

Of course!

edited by Sparko
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment