Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

French Council Rejects Ad With Smiling Down Syndrome Children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Council Rejects Ad With Smiling Down Syndrome Children

http://christiannews.net/2016/11/25/...abortive-moms/

PARIS — A television council in France has rejected an advertisement that features smiling Down syndrome children out of concerns that the video might “disturb” mothers who have aborted a baby because of his or her diagnosis.

The video “Dear Future Mom” has been in circulation for two years, created by the group*CoorDown and released on World Down Syndrome Day in 2014. Its purpose was to encourage mothers whose unborn babies are diagnosed with Down syndrome after the group received an email from a pregnant woman who expressed that she was fearful of what the future held for her child.

“Dear future mom, don’t be afraid,” the video begins, featuring children of various ages. “Your child will be able to do many things. He’ll be able to hug you. He’ll be able to run toward you. He’ll be able to speak and tell you he loves you.”

“He’ll be able to go to school like everybody,” it continues. “He’ll be able to work and earn his money. And with that money, he’ll be able to invite you out for dinner. Or rent an apartment and go living alone.”

The video advises that the journey will indeed be difficult at times, but as the children smile and hug their mothers for the camera, they proclaim that both mother and child will lead*happy lives.

However,*this month, France’s*Conseil d’État upheld a previous ban issued by the*Conseil Supérieur de l’Audiovisuel, preventing the advertisement from being broadcast on French television.

“[The Council Supérieur’s]*intention was not to hinder the distribution of this film, which he noted the positive contribution to the fight against the stigmatization of people with disabilities, but only to point out that his insertion within advertising screens was ‘inappropriate,'” the council said.

“The regulation provides that we may distribute, during commercial breaks, as advertising or, as an exception, ‘messages of general interest,'” it continued. “[T]he CSA felt that this film was not a ‘public service announcement” in the sense that the regulation gives this term. Since it is as addressed to a pregnant woman, it is, according to the CSA, ‘likely to disturb’ of women who have a medical abortion.”
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

That is weird.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      http://christiannews.net/2016/11/25/...abortive-moms/

PARIS — A television council in France has rejected an advertisement that features smiling Down syndrome children out of concerns that the video might “disturb” mothers who have aborted a baby because of his or her diagnosis.

The video “Dear Future Mom” has been in circulation for two years, created by the group*CoorDown and released on World Down Syndrome Day in 2014. Its purpose was to encourage mothers whose unborn babies are diagnosed with Down syndrome after the group received an email from a pregnant woman who expressed that she was fearful of what the future held for her child.

“Dear future mom, don’t be afraid,” the video begins, featuring children of various ages. “Your child will be able to do many things. He’ll be able to hug you. He’ll be able to run toward you. He’ll be able to speak and tell you he loves you.”

“He’ll be able to go to school like everybody,” it continues. “He’ll be able to work and earn his money. And with that money, he’ll be able to invite you out for dinner. Or rent an apartment and go living alone.”

The video advises that the journey will indeed be difficult at times, but as the children smile and hug their mothers for the camera, they proclaim that both mother and child will lead*happy lives.

However,*this month, France’s*Conseil d’État upheld a previous ban issued by the*Conseil Supérieur de l’Audiovisuel, preventing the advertisement from being broadcast on French television.

“[The Council Supérieur’s]*intention was not to hinder the distribution of this film, which he noted the positive contribution to the fight against the stigmatization of people with disabilities, but only to point out that his insertion within advertising screens was ‘inappropriate,'” the council said.

“The regulation provides that we may distribute, during commercial breaks, as advertising or, as an exception, ‘messages of general interest,'” it continued. “[T]he CSA felt that this film was not a ‘public service announcement” in the sense that the regulation gives this term. Since it is as addressed to a pregnant woman, it is, according to the CSA, ‘likely to disturb’ of women who have a medical abortion.”
      So they ban the ad because some women might discover that killing children with Down Syndrome wasn't some sort of act of mercy like they were led to believe.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It isn't merciful to kill anyone. Why do people think suffering is evil? It is unpleasant but we can learn from it. We can work on reducing it.

I may not have unever stood everything in The problem of pain, but I know this. We have free will and we abuse it when we do evil. We hurt others thinking it makes us whole when it takes us away. We were made to rejoice and obey and our rebellion in trying to be on our own kills us. In anger we might ask why God does nothing or why God won't leave us alone. The answer is God does much through grace and it is because he loves us that he pushes us. He won't leave us alone because we are dying without him.
        sigpic

Comment

Geez. You know what you did was wrong if people go out of their way not to mention your choice to you because you might feel bad.
          "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
          Hear my cry, hear my shout,
          Save me, save me"

Comment

Anytime the topic of Down syndrome comes up, I feel like I want to mention that one of my brothers has it, and this sort of thing is appalling to me. My brother is funny, friendly, good with kids, and a lot smarter than he lets on (because he honestly doesn't care what people think of him). I love my brother.

He also has more facial hair than I do. Grumble.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment