Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Moral Argument for God's Existence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    The “objective baseline” and “operative standard” for any given community is the maintenance of the group, which is essential for the survival of a social species such as us. And we do this by the imposition of community rules, based upon community values.
    So are you wanting to argue then that the maintenance of the group is the fundamental, unchanging and objective moral law?
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
      So are you wanting to argue then that the maintenance of the group is the fundamental, unchanging and objective moral law?
      As far as morality goes, I would argue just that, though what exactly those fundemental objective moral laws would be are not exactly known.

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
        The maintenance of a cohesive group is an instinctive survival mechanism for social species such as humans. It’s not a “moral law”. It’s the rules of behaviour that implement and reinforce this natural instinct that constitutes moral law. And they change according to the changing values of the group, they’re not “unchanging and objective...although many of the basics remain the same, e.g. the proscription against murder.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment