Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Getting Kicked Out of a Muslim Prayer Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Kicked Out of a Muslim Prayer Room

So, one of my nephews complained about the Muslim Prayer Room that their local Catholic Hospital provides. His mother, somewhere along the line, told him "well, either do something about it or stop complaining".

So, he decided to do an experiment. He and a couple of his body-building buddies grabbed their New Testaments and went to the Muslim Prayer room, where they just sat on the floor reading their Bibles.

It didn't take long before a Muslim man came in, looked around, then abruptly left in somewhat of a huff when he saw the guys with their Bibles.

About 10 minutes later, a hospital security guy comes into the room, looks around, and asks "what are you guys doing?" They replied "praying - it's a prayer room, right?" The security guy looked baffled for a minute, then admitted, "I guess there's no law against that, is there?" He looked around for signage that would indicate anything like "Muslims only", but there didn't appear to be any. He left.

A couple minutes later, the security guy returned with his supervisor, who asked that they leave. They asked, "are you kicking us out, and on what basis?" He just looked around the room, and said, "you guys are asking for trouble", and left.

(several other Muslims came in, looked around, and left in the meanwhile)

About 20 minutes after that, a guy from hospital administration came in and looked around. He also asked "what are you guys doing?" Again, they replied "praying - it's a prayer room, right?" The administration guy said, "well, yeah, but it's a Muslim prayer room, and they take this seriously". One of the guys answered, "we take 'praying' seriously, also, and they're welcome to come in - we're not stopping them".

They stayed for about three hours, during which Muslims would come in, look around, and leave. One Muslim looked at them with a frowny look, then did his routine. Another younger Muslim came in, looked at the guys, and said "you are desecrating a holy place". They replied that they were just there to pray. This younger Muslim thought about it a minute, said "peace be upon you", and started his prayer routine.

Interesting experiment in religious liberty, though I would not necessarily recommend it.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I bet a lot of Christians would be upset if muslims started their prayers in a Christian chapel.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I bet a lot of Christians would be upset if muslims started their prayers in a Christian chapel.
      I wonder if that's even remotely possible for them.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Hmmm, apparently, this 'experiment' isn't new, or necessarily "American"....

Source: MadWorldNews

Accommodating Muslims in ways that other groups aren’t affording is on the rise. Public prayer rooms are just one example. Recently, one man decide to take a camera into one such “Muslim only” prayer room to see what happens when Christians try to use it – and the result wasn’t exactly pretty.

The incident took place at a “public state university” somewhere in Australia, as a man wanted to expose so-called “multiculturalism” for what it is. In order to do that, he decided to take a woman into a “Muslim only” prayer room on campus and pray as Christians.

As can clearly be seen in the video, a Muslim who is in there praying is immediately offended. Oddly enough, it seems there’s actually two reasons that he’s upset. The first is made clear when he tried to stop the duo from entering the room because they’re wearing shoes.

Unfortunately, the second reason isn’t quite as minuscule, as he throws a temper tantrum because a woman entered the room. Before long, the Muslim man is demanding the two exit the room and find a multi-faith prayer room down the hall – a request which the Christian man isn’t exactly keen on following.

The man with the camera continues praying, openly thanking the Lord for sending his son, Jesus Christ, to die on the cross for our sins – a notion Muslims denounce as blasphemy. In order to twist the knife regarding his presence and his faith, he then states that “any prophet after Jesus is a liar and a fraud.”

© Copyright Original Source

A) The video referred to isn't available any longer
        2) It appears this guy's intent was to be purposely disruptive...

"My guys" removed their shoes upon entering.... hey, wait.... Andrew has REALLY stinky feet, so.....

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Unfortunately, there are apostate Catholic clerics who allow Muslims to come, there are such who do.

The Muslims coming might normally be less evil of the two, wanting to be good neighbours.

But those inviting them ... they are giving what could otherwise become fairly decent converts (the best of them, God knows which ones) the impression that their prayers are of themselves as such pleasing to God.
          http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment

not sure. but you know that Christians would be upset with Muslims praying to Allah on prayer rugs in a Christian chapel, and saying things like praising Mohammad as his only prophet and so on. It would be considered desecration and sacrilege. So I can see why the muslims would be upset with Christians in their chapel, doing what they consider is blasphemy.

Right?

Comment

not sure. but you know that Christians would be upset with Muslims praying to Allah on prayer rugs in a Christian chapel, and saying things like praising Mohammad as his only prophet and so on.
              The "regular" chapels provided in airports and hospitals and other places are pretty generic. Should there be a "Christians only" chapel, and a "Muslims only" chapel and....

It would be considered desecration and sacrilege.
              I'm thinking about that.... since I don't believe their god actually exists, and the notion that Mohammad.... I guess I really don't know enough about what they do when they do their prayers.

So I can see why the muslims would be upset with Christians in their chapel, doing what they consider is blasphemy.

Right?
              I'm more concerned about the fact that there seems to be a need to accommodate their religion in our country when there are not reciprocal gestures in their country. But, like I said....

Interesting experiment in religious liberty, though I would not necessarily recommend it.

Comment

The "regular" chapels provided in airports and hospitals and other places are pretty generic. Should there be a "Christians only" chapel, and a "Muslims only" chapel and....
                There should either be a chapel for each major religion, or one generic chapel. Not a generic one and a muslim one.

I'm thinking about that.... since I don't believe their god actually exists, and the notion that Mohammad.... I guess I really don't know enough about what they do when they do their prayers.
                worshiping a false God in a Christian church or chapel would be pretty upsetting to me. Jehovah didn't particularly like it when the Jews worshiped false gods in the OT.

Comment

There should either be a chapel for each major religion, or one generic chapel. Not a generic one and a muslim one.

worshiping a false God in a Christian church or chapel would be pretty upsetting to me. Jehovah didn't particularly like it when the Jews worshiped false gods in the OT.
                  They also bow down towards the Kaaba, which is a pagan temple that they "acquired" from the Meccans after one of the many battles Mohammed initiated. When they go there for the "Hajj" they try and make sure they kiss the "black stone", which is a pagan idol.

Comment

At West Edmonton Mall there is a Christian chapel, with a clear sign stating that the chapel is Christian, and while all are welcome to enter and sit (it is a tiny room), worship is reserved for Christians.

When we visited years ago I asked if there had been complaints about the restrictions, and the chaplain said he had never received any. Been there some 30 years.

Things will likely change as time goes by. I'm quite surprised the mall owners allowed it in the first place.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I'm talking about airports and hospitals - not churches. Who would mandate that a separate chapel be available for all major religions? Who would pay for that?

We're not talking about churches - and if you're advocating for only one 'generic' chapel, are you going to ban Muslims from it?

I was just sharing something nutty my nephew did, not advocating for Muslims worshiping in Christian chapels, or vise versa.

Again, I said "Interesting experiment in religious liberty, though I would not necessarily recommend it."

Comment

I'm talking about airports and hospitals - not churches. Who would mandate that a separate chapel be available for all major religions? Who would pay for that?
                        so what is the chapel you are talking about in the OP? Is it a muslim chapel? or a generic one? and if it is muslim, is there a christian one? Or is it a generic one and a muslim one?

I am saying that if they are going to put a specific Muslim chapel in a hospital or airport, then they need to have a specific Christian and Jewish one also. Alternately a simple generic one for anyone to use for any religion.

Comment

It's a Catholic hospital; they likely have their own chapel.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

so what is the chapel you are talking about in the OP? Is it a muslim chapel?
                            So, one of my nephews complained about the Muslim Prayer Room that their local Catholic Hospital provides.
                            or a generic one? and if it is muslim, is there a christian one? Or is it a generic one and a muslim one?
                            There's a generic one that would be considered "Christian".

I am saying that if they are going to put a specific Muslim chapel in a hospital or airport, then they need to have a specific Christian and Jewish one also. Alternately a simple generic one for anyone to use for any religion.
                            Many facilities are adding Muslim accommodations either in addition to "regular" chapels or instead of them.

Comment

There's a generic one that would be considered "Christian".

Many facilities are adding Muslim accommodations either in addition to "regular" chapels or instead of them.
                              Well I think that they should just have a generic chapel/prayer room for everyone. Including muslims. Or a room for every religion. But not just treat muslims speshul.

Unless!!! Maybe the muslim room is bomb-proof (from the inside)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X