Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Dakota Access Pipeline Debacle - and those Durned WHITE Men!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    This thread has been one long US conservative backslapping session.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      You were all talking about liberal antics, hippies, and lambasting Jaecp.

Also weren't you busy elsewhere?

Comment

As for hysterics? Are you talking about my dismay of corporations in general?
        Try reading my post again, Leonhard. I'm talking about your pretending we want you to roll on your back and shut up.
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You were all talking about liberal antics, hippies, and lambasting Jaecp.

Also weren't you busy elsewhere?
          I'm looking for flights, or considering driving - I just peeked in to see you keeping this going. But, yes, I was very disapproving of the anarchy of the left - they seem to have lost the ability to protest peacefully.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Try reading my post again, Leonhard. I'm talking about your pretending we want you to roll on your back and shut up.
            This is what ticked me off.

Originally posted by Cow Poke
            Originally posted by Leonhard
            why can't the pipeline company just redirect the pipeline around the contented area?
            I don't think you understand the work, the studies, the meetings, the agreements, the environmental impact studies.... you can't just say "OH, ok, we'll make the pipeline go HERE instead of THERE".
            While I respect someone having expert knowledge, and I don't think the guys running the companies are monsters (I just think they consider the bottom line first), this just isn't an answer. Even in the climate science discussions on Nat Sci, I only ever invoked my involvement with say the guys who studied cosmic radiation as a possible explanation for global warming, by explaining what they were doing and what had been found. This is CP saying that he's got expert knowledge on this, he's worked for a company, a decade ago, that was bought by another company the current version of which is doing this... so he can just say that its not possible.

And that's it.

Why? Surely they considered alternate routes. Why do they have to start all over with the studies if they've already done them for alternate routes? Or am I missing something?

Comment

Just so people understand I'm not against the building of the pipeline per say. While I sympathetic with the Native Americans, I'm only wondering why the company didn't redirect the pipeline, and won't in response to the Native Americans.

If what people say here about there already being a gas pipeline, what exactly would be said at a meeting that would make the company change its mind?

Comment

Just so people understand I'm not against the building of the pipeline per say. While I sympathetic with the Native Americans, I'm only wondering why the company didn't redirect the pipeline, and won't in response to the Native Americans.

If what people say here about there already being a gas pipeline, what exactly would be said at a meeting that would make the company change its mind?
                From what I can tell (which comes from reading just some of the things in this thread), it doesn't sound like there are any compelling reasons for the pipeline to be moved, and that the company even offered multiple chances for the objectors to voice their opinions earlier on. Am I understanding that right, everyone?
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                  From what I can tell (which comes from reading just some of the things in this thread), it doesn't sound like there are any compelling reasons for the pipeline to be moved, and that the company even offered multiple chances for the objectors to voice their opinions earlier on. Am I understanding that right, everyone?
                  I meant even if the Native Americans had voiced their objections that they didn't want the pipeline there, why would the company redirect it? Were they somehow obligated to?

Comment

I meant even if the Native Americans had voiced their objections that they didn't want the pipeline there, why would the company redirect it? Were they somehow obligated to?
                    Found this map:

Apparently the route isn't even actually ON tribal land, just very close?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Found this map:

Apparently the route isn't even actually ON tribal land, just very close?
                      Ah thanks Sparko!

Yeah it crosses a body of water that lines that reservation. And there's even an alternative route to boot.

Comment

Though to be fair even the reroute would also cross a body of water. In that sense it's hard to take the complaints seriously.

Comment

Why are they protesting in the first place? I feel like this is a really dumb question, but it doesn't seem to have actually been answered by anyone.
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                            Why are they protesting in the first place? I feel like this is a really dumb question, but it doesn't seem to have actually been answered by anyone.
                            You can see the map Sparko posted. The pipeline skirts the edges of their border, crossing a river. If there's a spill there, the whole river will be seriously contaminated, along with whatever land it touches. It's a NIMBY issue.

Comment

Is this your permission from you as a moderator, for me to begin spam posting articles?
                              No he asking you to read what is posted and further down in the thread CP posted an article that proved at least one tribe was not interested in talking with the company and lied about it. as well as the protesters lying about what the company did or did not do.
                              Last edited by RumTumTugger; 12-02-2016, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I wish someone could answer this question. Attempted meetings with the tribe sound like courtesies, at best.
                                I'm not here anymore.

Comment