Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Dad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Praying for you CP. I know this is an incredibly hard time where the emotions are all over the place.

Kia Kaha brother.
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

ing for you and the rest of your family in this difficult time.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Comment

Baby Sis is at the hospital right now, and without her even mentioning it, the Charge Nurse suggested we consider Hospice. They have downgraded his treatment regimen to "comfort and care", as he seems to reject any kind of medication or other treatment or attention, and is just kind of moaning and crying in his sleep.

My Jenny - the Hospice Nurse - is coordinating with my baby sis - Kathy - to get Hospice involved. Jenny is doing this, of course, from Texas, as Dad is in Ohio.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Baby Sis is at the hospital right now, and without her even mentioning it, the Charge Nurse suggested we consider Hospice. They have downgraded his treatment regimen to "comfort and care", as he seems to reject any kind of medication or other treatment or attention, and is just kind of moaning and crying in his sleep.

My Jenny - the Hospice Nurse - is coordinating with my baby sis - Kathy - to get Hospice involved. Jenny is doing this, of course, from Texas, as Dad is in Ohio.
                A tough step to make but hospice care will be able to make him more comfortable since they can do things a hospital cannot.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

May we have an update?
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Yeah, sorry... Deciding if I want to DRIVE up there or fly. Last minute airfare is, of course, pretty expensive.

This Sunday is Communion Sunday at Church, so I hate to miss that, though I have other people who can oversee it. I'm thinking about driving up after Church on Sunday.

Dad was transferred to a nursing home yesterday, finally, and is under hospice care now. He woke up briefly to ask for ice cream. You gotta love it when somebody has their priorities straight! He took 2 or 3 small bites, and went back to sleep, mumbling something about "where is my kitty cat?" (Dad never had, nor liked, cats)

At the hospital, when they tried to clean him up, he yelled and screamed the whole time, fighting them off. At the nursing home this morning, they managed to clean him up and get him in a new gown, and he just sort of whimpers. Yesterday, his pastor stopped in, and Dad, not opening his eyes, mumbled, "my buddy - how is your garden". His pastor is infamous for his home grown tomatoes.

Now he seems to be resting quietly, hasn't eaten or drank for 5 days now, with the exception of a sip of water and a couple bites of ice cream.

I appreciate your concern, and your prayers.

I keep thinking "Dad is trying to remove the earthly tabernacle and move into his heavenly one".

No idea how long this will be, so I don't want to fly up there, spend a month or two, then have to go back for a funeral. But it's looking like we're getting closer to the end of his time on this planet.

Interestingly, I found a flight out of Houston to Columbus, Oh on sunday afternoon in FIRST CLASS for only $20 more than "back of the bus". I reserved it with the "24 hours to change your mind for free" option, so I'm considering that, as well.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, sorry... Deciding if I want to DRIVE up there or fly. Last minute airfare is, of course, pretty expensive.

This Sunday is Communion Sunday at Church, so I hate to miss that, though I have other people who can oversee it. I'm thinking about driving up after Church on Sunday.

Dad was transferred to a nursing home yesterday, finally, and is under hospice care now. He woke up briefly to ask for ice cream. You gotta love it when somebody has their priorities straight! He took 2 or 3 small bites, and went back to sleep, mumbling something about "where is my kitty cat?" (Dad never had, nor liked, cats)

At the hospital, when they tried to clean him up, he yelled and screamed the whole time, fighting them off. At the nursing home this morning, they managed to clean him up and get him in a new gown, and he just sort of whimpers. Yesterday, his pastor stopped in, and Dad, not opening his eyes, mumbled, "my buddy - how is your garden". His pastor is infamous for his home grown tomatoes.

Now he seems to be resting quietly, hasn't eaten or drank for 5 days now, with the exception of a sip of water and a couple bites of ice cream.

I appreciate your concern, and your prayers.

I keep thinking "Dad is trying to remove the earthly tabernacle and move into his heavenly one".

No idea how long this will be, so I don't want to fly up there, spend a month or two, then have to go back for a funeral. But it's looking like we're getting closer to the end of his time on this planet.

Interestingly, I found a flight out of Houston to Columbus, Oh on sunday afternoon in FIRST CLASS for only $20 more than "back of the bus". I reserved it with the "24 hours to change your mind for free" option, so I'm considering that, as well.
                      My friend did that last year. She just needed to go Home, and refused any fluids or food. She was in my Bible study for decades, and when I visited her near the end, she knew who I was and knew I would pray with her. It was sad to see her so depleted, but we knew she had a better place waiting.

Last edited by mossrose; 12-02-2016, 11:41 AM. Reason: Stupid ipad

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        My friend did hat last year. She just needed to go Home, and refused any fluids or food. She was in my Bible study for decades, and when I visited her near the end, she knew who I was and knew I would pray with her. It was sad to see her so depleted, but we knew she had a better place waiting.

No doubt this will be one of those happy/sad/joy funerals

Comment

No doubt this will be one of those happy/sad/joy funerals
                          yep.

My dad died in the hospital. I was not able to be there, but he was not doing well at all. My mom died at home with the help of hospice. I was there. They made her comfortable and pain free, and read the bible to her and sat with her while we got some sleep and woke us up when it was time. She went peacefully with us all around her and holding her. It was sad but it was good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            yep.

My dad died in the hospital. I was not able to be there, but he was not doing well at all. My mom died at home with the help of hospice. I was there. They made her comfortable and pain free, and read the bible to her and sat with her while we got some sleep and woke us up when it was time. She went peacefully with us all around her and holding her. It was sad but it was good too.
                            Yeah, I'm not worried about "being there when he passes", as we (Mrs CP and I) and a really good visit with him earlier this year. My sister sent pictures of him in the nursing home, and he doesn't even look like "Dad". He's kinda bloated, and looks bald, and just... It's not him.

When Mom passed, I preached her funeral, and I think we hit the perfect balance of reverence and joy. It was, indeed, a celebration of a woman - a prayer warrior - who spent a long time on this planet making a difference in a lot of lives.

Heck, if it weren't for Mom and Dad - Tweb wouldn't have ME!

Comment

So, I'm not a very emotional guy - I tend to be somewhat of a toughnick (Former Navy/Air Force/Cop/Oilfield) but we had our Rebel Alliance meeting yesterday, and when we shared prayer requests, I had planned on just giving an update on my Dad, and turned into a blubbering idiot.

One of my Pastor friends, who had just lost his 92 year old Dad last month, said, "You know, we all turn into 4 year olds when Dad dies".

Comment

When I was about 18, my oldest brother, Paul, died of cancer at the age of 27. I didn't know how to pray. (I've mentioned this elsewhere, I know)

I saw him lying there in the hospital, ridden with cancer - he had cancer in his cheek walls, inside his nose, all his vital organs - and I'm thinking "how do I even pray?" Should I pray for complete healing, knowing it's entirely unlikely, or does that show how little my faith is. If I pray for God to let him live, will he be in this pain and misery? It was a really tough time and one of those "Crisis of Faith" things Blackaby talks about.

Later that night I went out on the fishing pier where he and I used to fish, and I told the Lord what I just described - I don't even know how to pray... is it my lack of faith?

For one of the VERY few times I feel I heard God "talking" (nothing audible, but something deep inside) I felt God clearly say "I'm bringing him home".

An incredible peace came over me, and I finally knew how to pray.

When I stopped by my parents house, where my 5 younger sisters were crying, I was able to be strong. I told them "God has everything under control", but I didn't tell them about my experience at the pier.

I was able to comfort them, and be strong for them. When my brother passed, it was "OK" with me - not a shock - I was prepared.

Meanwhile, I had taken some college classes an hour away, and had an "adopted mom and dad" there - people in the church I attended who, for whatever reason, decided to be my "adopted parents" while I was in their town. They had been praying for Paul, and I wanted to tell them he was gone.

As "dad" (my "adopted" dad) met me at the door, I smiled and said "My brother...." and that's all the words I could get out, and just began crying like a baby. "Dad" was a big tough Marine kind of guy, and he just hugged me real hard, didn't say a word, and we just stood there for a minute. Then everything was OK.

I think the 'moment' at the Rebel Alliance meeting was like that - I seem to need just one time to "let it out", then I'm good.

So, for the record -- I'm good!

Comment