Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Dad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad

This could be it. He's 94, and has had a great life, having done his part in WWII in the European Theater, then serving stateside all over the world, and raising 9 children, all of whom are (or were) in Christian service. (Two of my brothers have preceded him in death)

This has been a tough year for Dad - he had some health challenges, including the trip to New Orleans last year where he became so sick he was hospitalized, and I had to go bail him out. He experienced some dementia in the hospital, which was a bit scary, but they assured us that was not unusual for older folks, particularly when he was in there all stuffed up with severe allergy and his hearing aids weren't working.

We have seen several other bouts with dementia, then he would "return to normal" for a period.

A few weeks ago, he just seemed to "check out" - having periods of lack of cognition, and even anger. He was an incredibly calm and reasonable man, so these fits of anger are so out of character for him. This week, in the hospital, he became exceptionally combative, even trying to hit and bite the nursing staff that was taking care of him.

For the last 4 days, he hasn't eaten, hasn't opened his eyes, doesn't acknowledge family -- my baby sister is there (Marion OH) taking care of him -- and just doesn't want to be touched or messed with.

It's like he's just "giving up".

I'm torn between praying for healing, or praying for a peaceful passing. I don't know how to pray right now, so, fortunately, the Holy Spirit has me covered.
    In the same way the Spirit also joins to help in our weakness, because we do not know what to pray for as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with unspoken groanings.

Your prayers are appreciated.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Paul was conflicted over the same thing regarding himself, so....

Never hurts to pray for peace and "Thy will be done."
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Paul was conflicted over the same thing regarding himself, so....

Never hurts to pray for peace and "Thy will be done."
      EGGzackly.

I had this feeling when my oldest brother was in the hospital dying of cancer at the age of 27. I wanted to pray for his healing, but didn't feel I had the faith, seeing the advanced condition of his cancer.

One night about midnight, I went to our favorite fishing spot and began to cry out to God - I don't even know how to pray...

I felt God say so clearly and gently "I'm bringing him home". Then I knew how to pray, and just a week later, he passed.

Until I hear from the Lord otherwise, yes -- peace, and "Thy will be done."
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Praying my brother. And I know that if the Lord chooses to take him home, your Dad WILL be healed.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Trust God

Comment

Your dad sounded like a cool guy.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm very sorry to here this my friend...It has to be incredibly difficult. I'll put you and your Dad on my morning prayer list. The one comfort we have is that it's entirely in God's hands...and his Will shall be done. Peace and Love to you and yours my friend!
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Comment

Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Praying for peace my dear friend. Deanna too.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Comment

Family members - 5 sisters and one brother - are discussing this now. Dad had an IV for fluids, but that was removed today, because there's no "output". As some of you know, my youngest daughter has been a Hospice Nurse for 5 years, so I'm much more familiar with this kind of thing than I would be 'just from being a Pastor'. It's really sounding like he's 'shutting down', and baby sis (primary caretaker) has signed the DNR and "no heroic actions" thing... I'm encouraging the other family members to back Kathy (baby sis) 100% in this, because she knows things from seeing him daily that the rest of us would just be guessing or assuming.

I'm thinking he just wants to sleep and "wake up on the other side". Can't say I blame him.

Comment

I am sorry that you're going through this.

Comment

I remember when my great grandfather died. I at the time could not understand why he was not terrified of death.

I know how it feels. I pray for you. May tour fathers memory be a blessing. Amen.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                              I am sorry that you're going through this.
                              Thanks, Sea - I appreciate that.

Comment