Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

With much excitement!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    I think we should change the title of this thread to "with much excitement".
    The story intrigued me and caught me, so count me excited

After reading it once (and the intro a second time for clarity), it looks great!
    We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
    - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
    In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
    Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bisto View Post
      The story intrigued me and caught me, so count me excited

After reading it once (and the intro a second time for clarity), it looks great!
      Thank you!

If anybody wants to know some of the backstory of how this came about....

I've been working on writing for ~4 years now, cycling through several increasingly less-awful ideas. None of them have really worked. A friend and I decided to brainstorm an idea for a novel one day, and we came up with something that I thought was pretty cool. So I started a short story that was intended purely as backstory for my/our own purposes--trying to get a handle on the setting, some characters, etc. I called it "Some Kind of Coward," and I actually liked it enough that I decided to write a sequel short story.

Then, after talking to the friend (who told me to just run with the novel as if it was my own), I decided to turn those into chapters 1 and 2, which turned into chapters 1 and 3. The rest started filling out from there.

So this chapter 1 was at first a short story--largely the same as it is now, only more vague and not as good IMO.

I like chapter 2 a lot, although there's one particular detail that I want to describe a lot differently. But if you're interested...chapter 2 is from Lawrence's POV, and it's about them going down there. Happens concurrently with the end of chapter 1. Chapter 3 was my original chapter 2, which basically deals with the fallout of the events of 1 and 2.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

My chapter titles are something of a gimmick that I've been pretty excited about. The title is a one-word descriptor for a key character in that chapter, but the title may be misleading. It might refer to one person from a certain character's perspective (which may therefore be inaccurate), it might refer to more than one person/thing, it might be deceptive in that it appears to refer to one person but in fact refers to another, etc. There are a couple of these that I'm wrestling with, but overall I think I've got most of them titled. Here are the chapter titles:

Coward
        Fool
        Killer
        Fraud <--this chapter is very rough, and the title doesn't really work
        Visionary
        Murderer
        Sadist
        Punisher
        Defender
        Mercenary
        Liar
        Monster
        Wretch
        Rescuer <--I want to change this one, not sure how yet
        Thief <--all the chapters up through this one are nominally complete
        Martyr <--got this chapter started, the next two are all that remains *fingers crossed*
        Hero
        Epilogue: Brother & Slave

Comment

So, shall I "fix" the title, Zym?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

So, shall I "fix" the title, Zym?
            Any suggestions for either of those would be great. "Rescuer" is kinda-sorta close to what that chapter needs, but the word isn't quite right. "Fraud" is a different matter; the chapter needs real work to fix that title. You've read it, so you might have an idea what I mean.

Comment

Just to be clear, chapter 1 is a revised version of the short story from this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                Any suggestions for either of those would be great. "Rescuer" is kinda-sorta close to what that chapter needs, but the word isn't quite right. "Fraud" is a different matter; the chapter needs real work to fix that title. You've read it, so you might have an idea what I mean.
                I meant the title of this thread, sweetie. I think your chapter titles are just fine! Although I would have to think about Fraud. It might need some changing.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I meant the title of this thread, sweetie. I think your chapter titles are just fine! Although I would have to think about Fraud. It might need some changing.

Oh, ha.

If you want to, sure. I am pretty excited about it.

Comment

Oh, ha.

If you want to, sure. I am pretty excited about it.
                    I know! As well you should be!

Comment

Much better!

Comment

Good news, thanks! I've heard of the Monster Hunter series, but never read them. Would you recommend them?
                        Yes, if you're looking for lots of action, monsters and stuff. I enjoyed them, especially Alpha. But I would recommend reading them in order to get the most out of the series, as the characters develop nicely.
                        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Now at 87,000+ words (278 pages), and I finished a very significant chapter last night. Actually tired me out pretty well. I think I now have one chapter and an epilogue remaining, which will probably put me around 95,000 words at The End. A good length, that should leave plenty of room for cutting and more brevity, since 95k words in this genre seems on the long side.

Comment

Here's the announcement I was supposed to make on November 1st:

The first draft of my novel is done! It is just over 95,000 words long (or 302 pages), complete with an Epilogue.

Now I just have to rewrite it all and make it actually good.

Edit: Only two months late!

Comment

Here's the announcement I was supposed to make on November 1st:

The first draft of my novel is done! It is just over 95,000 words long (or 302 pages), complete with an Epilogue.

Now I just have to rewrite it all and make it actually good.

Edit: Only two months late!
                              You've done great!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X