Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

With much excitement!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With much excitement!

I'm asking for beta readers of my novel. It is, loosely, a sci-fi horror*, although I've been told that it's more a suspense than a horror.

To be clear: it's yet unfinished, but I'm really close. I'm not asking for people to read a mountain of paper; in fact, all I'm asking at this point is readers for the first chapter, maybe the first two or three. I think chapter one is in pretty good shape for this sort of thing, the rest...may or may not be, to varying degrees. So this will be a chapter at a time. (I actually think chapter 1 is the best thing I've ever written, and this is about 9 months after I first wrote it.)

There are no obligations here. If it sounds even mildly interesting, give it a read! Any feedback would be helpful, but there's no minimum level required or anything. You can read as much or as little as you like, and if I don't like you, I'll just pretend I missed your post.

If I do like you, maybe I'll name a character after you. Probably not, but you never know.

If you have limited time, no problem. I'm in no great hurry. If you'd like to do me a favor, or if it sounds even a tiny bit worthwhile, then you are free to read as slowly as you like. I do hope to publish this, because for all the garbage I've written in the past ~4 years to get to this point, I think this is actually approaching something pretty darn good. That level of confidence is unusual for me, so take that how you want to.

*the sci-fi elements are light and the horror elements are...well, probably not what you expect. Somebody asked me about my book once, I said it was something of a horror, and her response was basically, "How can you write that crap?" If that's what you think when you hear the word "horror," then my novel is probably not quite what you expect. I am loosely inspired by H.P. Lovecraft, although I can't claim to do cosmic horror anywhere near as well as he did, and I think my approach is fairly original. (I've read quite a bit of Lovecraft-inspired and even Lovecraft-knock-off fiction, both short and long, so I think I can say that I've looked.)

The narrative is in first-person, and the narrator is intended to be a redneck-type mountain man, with a limited vocabulary and a very casual style (which is not at all like Lovecraft). That's one of the things I'm most excited about with regards to my novel, because I think I've actually pulled that off pretty well.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Sounds cool. I like reading
    sigpic

Comment

I'm at 16, and I don't see a "mossy" yet...........

By the way, I like it!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Sounds interesting!
        We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
        - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
        In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
        Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          I'm asking for beta readers of my novel. It is, loosely, a sci-fi horror*, although I've been told that it's more a suspense than a horror.

To be clear: it's yet unfinished, but I'm really close. I'm not asking for people to read a mountain of paper; in fact, all I'm asking at this point is readers for the first chapter, maybe the first two or three. I think chapter one is in pretty good shape for this sort of thing, the rest...may or may not be, to varying degrees. So this will be a chapter at a time. (I actually think chapter 1 is the best thing I've ever written, and this is about 9 months after I first wrote it.)

There are no obligations here. If it sounds even mildly interesting, give it a read! Any feedback would be helpful, but there's no minimum level required or anything. You can read as much or as little as you like, and if I don't like you, I'll just pretend I missed your post.

If I do like you, maybe I'll name a character after you. Probably not, but you never know.

If you have limited time, no problem. I'm in no great hurry. If you'd like to do me a favor, or if it sounds even a tiny bit worthwhile, then you are free to read as slowly as you like. I do hope to publish this, because for all the garbage I've written in the past ~4 years to get to this point, I think this is actually approaching something pretty darn good. That level of confidence is unusual for me, so take that how you want to.

*the sci-fi elements are light and the horror elements are...well, probably not what you expect. Somebody asked me about my book once, I said it was something of a horror, and her response was basically, "How can you write that crap?" If that's what you think when you hear the word "horror," then my novel is probably not quite what you expect. I am loosely inspired by H.P. Lovecraft, although I can't claim to do cosmic horror anywhere near as well as he did, and I think my approach is fairly original. (I've read quite a bit of Lovecraft-inspired and even Lovecraft-knock-off fiction, both short and long, so I think I can say that I've looked.)

The narrative is in first-person, and the narrator is intended to be a redneck-type mountain man, with a limited vocabulary and a very casual style (which is not at all like Lovecraft). That's one of the things I'm most excited about with regards to my novel, because I think I've actually pulled that off pretty well.
          Mark me down as interested

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm up for it.
            ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

I'm interested.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Thanks for the interest, everyone!

If you haven't already, could you PM me your email address?

Comment

I got a very Lovecraft Ian feel from that. I like it.
                  sigpic

Comment

First impression: I enjoyed it. If it was the opening chapter in a book, I'd want to read more. Reminded me a bit of Larry Correia's 'Monster Hunter' series.

I'll re-read and give you a more detailed response soon.
                    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

I'll pm you my email addy in the morning (need sleep now)
                      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                        Thanks for the interest, everyone!

If you haven't already, could you PM me your email address?
                        Done!
                        We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
                        - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
                        In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
                        Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                          I got a very Lovecraft Ian feel from that. I like it.
                          Awesome, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                            First impression: I enjoyed it. If it was the opening chapter in a book, I'd want to read more. Reminded me a bit of Larry Correia's 'Monster Hunter' series.

I'll re-read and give you a more detailed response soon.
                            Good news, thanks! I've heard of the Monster Hunter series, but never read them. Would you recommend them?

Comment

I think we should change the title of this thread to "with much excitement".

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X