Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game Thread: Seventh Son (Pathfinder One-Shot)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talys addresses the Duke again: "What are all of these books doing in your son's room? They seem a little, umm, advanced for a seven-year-old."
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

"Oh, those?" The Duke replies. "Those are some old texts I dredged up from the attic. You see, Edward has shown himself to be a bit of a prodigy in the mystic arts. I admit, those seem a bit- um- ADVANCED for his age. But," he catches his breath, "believe it or not, he's slowly but surely catching on!"
      Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

"Who else knows about his talents? They could be why he was kidnapped."

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
          [what sorts of books are on the shelf? Are there any that seem very out of place? 10+14=24 if i need a perception roll

Based on what we know now, I'm imagining ninjas coming in to steal a book, accidentally waking the kid, and having to kidnap him so he can't talk. That, or there's a secret passageway behind the bookshelf

other more likely possibilities:
          1. kidnapping for ransom, in which case there should be a ransom note delivered soon
          2. kidnapping to distract the duke or his wife from some impending event, anything from a political maneuver to a baking competition from which the competition wishes to eliminate the competition. I hear the duke makes delicious cream puffs.
          3. kidnapping the child to be a sacrifice for evil ninja cult to summon Hairthulu]
          [Or no kidnapping at all.

I don't suppose the young 'un could have summoned Hairy? ]
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

The Duke replies, "Well, his Tutor for one. I haven't seen him in the past month, however. He said he was going to take a vacation and travel around for a bit."

Comment

"I don't suppose he mentioned where he was going and when he was coming back?"
              My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

"He didn't mention where he was going, but his vacation was supposed to end a week from now."

Comment

"Can you tell us anything else about this tutor?"

Comment

"His name is Tobias Jade. He's a retired professor of the Arcane. He came very highly recommended by the Arcana Fellowship when I asked around for tutors. He's been teaching Edward for the past two years."

Comment

Talys nods, then crosses her arms. "Well, I'm fresh out of questions worth asking. Anyone else have thoughts? If not, I'm ready to start looking for the intruder's tracks in the yard."

Comment

Gauss tries to recall Tobias Jade, then asks questions and looks through the books to better qualify and quantify the boy's abilities.

He also carefully removes a few books at a time from the shelf to get their individual auras without all the rest muddling them up.
                        Last edited by Draco Dei; 12-17-2016, 12:24 AM.

Comment

(Gauss)

[GM's note: Give me two Knowledge Rolls: The first one you roll? You get to pick between Local, Geography, or Nobility; whichever you have, or whichever is highest. The other Knowledge roll is Arcana]

Comment

Gauss gets out his notes again.

[[Knowledge [Local and Geography have the same modifier] = 14 = 4 (die)+10 (modifiers)
                            Knowledge [Arcana] = 26 (24 w/out notes) = 12 (die) + 14 (modifiers, including +2 for notes) ]]

Comment

(Gauss)

[Knowledge: Local Results]

Tobias Jade is a long-lived man. Before he became a private tutor, he was a professor at the local Arcane Academy, and before that he was an adventuring Wizard. He's got an overall reputation for being a complete boy scout in both Academic and Adventuring circles.

[Knowledge: Arcana Results]

As you pull a couple books out and identify each School, you make a few observations:
                              -These books are REALLY OLD. It's a miracle they're still bound together.
                              -There are a few auras from Each School of Magic.
                              -These books are also very advanced. You're no slouch, but you can tell that it's either going to take Ten Cups of, "Essence of Java Bean" or Ten Doses of, "Alchemists Intoxicant," before you can even begin to wrap your head around the stuff in these texts.

Comment

Gauss passes along what he remembers of Tobias Jade.

((Assuming that a spellbook on Evocation doesn't normally detect as Evocation aura-ed...))

"Hmm... hmm... yes.. odd, but okay... but what about the one before that... Okay, help me out here sir... I'm getting almost every type of magic used on these books. Transmutation and Necromancy could both be theoretically used to preserve paper and leather I suspect, but don't quote me on that. Illusion to hide privileged writings, Divination to control access, in which case I can take no responsibility for any silent alarms I may have tripped. Conjuration... well, I guess saying a word and having the book teleport to you or back to where it belongs could a nice luxury touch... Abjuration to fireproof* or prevent a thief from teleporting away with it I suppose? But what is a book doing with Evocation? Do some of the pages act like spell scrolls? Or maybe your son was just experimenting with creating magical items? Or did someone try to disguise the aura and not stick to plausible cover stories?"

*((Ignore either of these if I am wrong. Gauss has the Spellcraft to know, but I'm trying to avoid losing momentum to double-check the book.))

"Ummm... he isn't by any small chance adopted is he?" asks Gauss "Because 'savant' is an understatement here... I'd have trouble with a lot of this and I'm even better with theory than I am with application. I think some dragons can take the forms of men and they... err... well, certainly not an issue in any case!" says Gauss after some reading, before remembering that this might be a touchy subject.. At least I didn't ask if his wife had been faithful or ever been tricked by an incubus or the like... come to that I have heard theories about how the ethics of the more chaotic of the angels and dragons might result in 'visitations'...

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X