Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Heavenly State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Heavenly State

Years ago Henry Ward Beecher wrote a sermon called The Heavenly State. According to what I read, he thinks Heaven and Hell are not literal places.

As a matter of fact, he says, "We are at liberty to make our own heaven. The maiden has a right to make a heaven that will represent to her purity, power, heroism, goodness and grandeur, in their most ideal forms."

I, of course, don't believe any of this. But I wanted to hear anyone else's thoughts on this matter. You can find the sermon here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=-w...series&f=false
    If anyone wants to read my Kindle Book, feel free to click this hyperlink: http://www.amazon.com/Key-Logic-Ted-...gic+ted+hickox

If that is what he believed, then it sounds like that guy is in a literal hell right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
      If that is what he believed, then it sounds like that guy is in a literal hell right now.
      If he was a Christian in error about that he was not condemned.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

A Christian who doesn't believe in heaven isn't a Christian in any real sense.

Comment

Upon reading the sermon further, I realize that the streets of Heaven aren't necessarily paved with gold. However, they are probably paved with a substance that reflects the glory of God. Therefore, a person in this life could think that they are paved with gold.

I also realize that heavenly mansions are a little different than the mansions you would see in Great Britain or the United States today. After all, it was Jewish hands that wrote the Bible. So what would Jewish mansions look like? I performed a Google search and found mixed results. However, I know that the mansions Jesus referred to would be in the form of Jewish mansions rather than European mansions.

But I believe that in Heaven we will eat literal fruit from literal trees. We will work but we will not labor. After all, I wouldn't want to lay around all day and do nothing for all eternity. I believe we will look like we do now except all aging and diseases will be removed from our bodies. Our new bodies will reflect the glory of God. People will recognize us and we will recognize them.
          If anyone wants to read my Kindle Book, feel free to click this hyperlink: http://www.amazon.com/Key-Logic-Ted-...gic+ted+hickox

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
            A Christian who doesn't believe in heaven isn't a Christian in any real sense.
            Acts 16:30 Then he brought them out and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and understand correctly the nature of heaven and hell and you will be saved, you and your household.

I must have a misprint in my Bible since the portion marked in red is missing from it.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              If he was a Christian in error about that he was not condemned.
              Depends on whether he was invincible ignorant about it. Would you say that one could deny that Jesus was divine, yet also be saved by Him?

Arguing a specific case is beyond me, as deep down, I don't know what he believed, or what he understood, or what his particular situation was. Only God is capable of judging a soul. However I wouldn't call denying the Christian hope a safe card play.

Also insisting that all things be explicitly stated in the Bible is a bit naive. The Trinity of God is undeniable, yet its nowhere clearly stated in a succinct manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah
                Acts 16:30 Then he brought them out and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and understand correctly the nature of heaven and hell and you will be saved, you and your household.

I must have a misprint in my Bible since the portion marked in red is missing from it.
                Exactly what do you think "believe in the Lord Jesus" means

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                  Depends on whether he was invincible ignorant about it.
                  ?

Would you say that one could deny that Jesus was divine, yet also be saved by Him?
                  Pretty unlikely.

Arguing a specific case is beyond me, as deep down, I don't know what he believed, or what he understood, or what his particular situation was. Only God is capable of judging a soul. However I wouldn't call denying the Christian hope a safe card play.

Also insisting that all things be explicitly stated in the Bible is a bit naive. The Trinity of God is undeniable, yet its nowhere clearly stated in a succinct manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    ?
                    It is a Catholic term for a person who is ignorant of something that is a doctrine of faith, and where no amount of study on the person could have overcome this. Basically a person is innocently wrong about something, and so isn't guilty of heresy. In reality it very rarely applies, unless a person is mentally handicapped or lives away from Christian societies and has only infrequent access to missionaries.

Comment

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, Christianity does have essential doctrines. On the other hand, I wonder how many truly understand doctrines like, say, the Trinity.
                      Last edited by Paula; 12-04-2016, 07:14 PM.

Comment

I think God is Heaven, and the Heavenliness of Heaven. And that if God were "in" Hell, it would be Heaven.

I think that, somewhat as the places in the Primary World that we live in are more really places than the places that exist in the Secondary World of human fiction - London has a measure of reality that Hogwarts Castle lacks; the reason we can't set foot in Hogwarts has nothing to do with our being Muggles - so, perhaps, Heaven is more real, more solid, than London. I am too real to go to Hogwarts; I am not remotely real enough to go to Heaven. One can meditate on Hogwarts as truly as on Heaven, but they are wholly different. Heaven is for grown-ups, for people who have faces, people in whom Christ is fully formed, people who are all the more really themselves for belonging always and totally and only to Christ. Heaven must come to us, in Christ, and He must enter into us and transform us from within, if we are to be fit to associate with Him in His Heaven with His angels and with His Saints. This BTW is why the Eucharist is so important - we are meant to become the One Whose Presence we eat. To say nothing of the Work of the Spirit of Christ. The Ascension seems to suggest a re-ordering of the material universe.

To borrow a thought from C. S. Lewis: we on earth are the Unsolid People, light, wispy and indefinite, like motes in a sunbeam; the Blessed in Heaven are the Solid People in the Solid Land that those not of it cannot walk. An ant would be destroyed, if it had to carry the Himalayas. God is too Real for the shadowland that is earth, with its less than Real inhabitants. And God's Glory is so great, that we would be destroyed if He inflicted it on us. It is earth, not Heaven, that is barely existent - Heaven is terribly real, terribly holy, terribly good, terribly joyful. Atheists who want to be shown God, do not know what they are asking for. Because they barely exist, they cannot tell Hogwarts from Heaven. Christians are better off, because we can do that.

Just a few thoughts.
                        Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 01-27-2017, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Heaven will be on Earth. Not floating around on clouds.

Comment

The heavenly state certainly isn't New Jersey.
                            When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Speedlearner1 View Post
                              According to what I read, he thinks Heaven and Hell are not literal places.
                              Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: lilpixieofterror

We don't allow argument by web-link

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                              Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 01-28-2017, 08:45 AM.
                              http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment