Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Carrier air to stay in Indiana, at tax payors expense!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
    I lived through the Bush regime, I can live through this.

Facts are still facts, people in general are ignorant.
    Well, yes. Obama got plenty of votes based on the relative abundance of melanin in his skin, and Hillary expected (and doubtless got) many votes based on her biological sex. The amazing thing is that more Democrats in general don't win, because they tend to get a whole lot more positive press being spoon-fed to the public.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Well, yes. Obama got plenty of votes based on the relative abundance of melanin in his skin, and Hillary expected (and doubtless got) many votes based on her biological sex. The amazing thing is that more Democrats in general don't win, because they tend to get a whole lot more positive press being spoon-fed to the public.
      Right, Trump didn't get any votes because he was white.

People voted for candidates for the stupidest of reasons, so what else is new? It doesn't take much to fool the public frankly.

Comment

This mercantilism supported by both Trump and Sanders is bad news. The idea of benefitting one's country by hampering mobility of goods, business, or labor has been debunked by economists for centuries. Free trade, including free mobility of business and labor is conducive toward prosperity.
        See also: "Countless Ordinary Americans Benefit When Companies Move to Mexico"
        https://mises.org/blog/countless-ord...es-move-mexico

Making conditions more favorable by reducing taxes is great. But doing it for particular businesses, results in all the awfulness of crony capitalism. We need to do it across the board, with rule of law, and equality before the law.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          It's not surprising - perhaps you missed CP's sarcasm.
          That's evident. I have wondered what you do with your time between campaigns, as that seems to be your main line of work.
          Volunteer a lot. I have the backbone of a nonprofit in the works, too, and I've assisted in a few other ventures (see me on Destination Unknown with Josh Gatz in the January episode that features DB Cooper) and I occasionally shill at farmers markets for my friends. Politics and sale? Same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
            Um, so is Hillary. So are their VP picks, Mike Pence and Tim Kaine. As are Gary Johnson and Jill Stein, respectively the Libertarian Party and the Green Party candidates.

So why exactly should someone vote for Trump because Trump is white when all of the other candidates possessed the same "qualification."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              You just don't understand economics like liberals do.

As former Speaker of the House and current House minority leader Nancy Pelosi explained to you dumb rubes things like unemployment benefits and food stamps "creates jobs faster than almost any other initiative you can name." And as she proclaimed on the House floor, "Unemployment insurance, the economists tell us, return $2 for every $1 that is put out there for unemployment insurance." Although the amount it is said to return varies greatly from day to day depending on what she thinks the listeners will believe we can rest assured it is way more.
              Trump claimed he was going to bring jobs back, well he and Pence just let over a thousand jobs go to Mexico and gave Carrier a cool 10 million for doing it. Then he dupes you into thinking that he saved jobs. There were over 2,000 jobs at the plant in Indiana, now there are less than 1,000 and to top it off Carrier made 10 million dollars in the deal. Thats a loss of jobs, not to mention tax payer dollars, not a gain in jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
                Not even President yet and he is already making America great again.
                One thousand jobs saved!!!

Obama rescued the entire American Auto Industry.
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  Yep

Oh yes, I forgot that Obama was only in office for a month.
                  “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post

yeah that is why Detroit went bankrupt

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
                      Yep
                      Nope, maybe ~800 jobs saved and ~800 jobs lost to Mexico.
                      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        Nope, maybe ~800 jobs saved and ~800 jobs lost to Mexico.
                        beats 2000 jobs lost to mexico

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                          People voted for candidates for the stupidest of reasons, so what else is new? It doesn't take much to fool the public frankly.
                          That's been a problem since the res publica. Despite all that, a republic seems to be the least worst option for governance.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post

This is before he is even president yet.

And let's not forget that Ford, which didn't receive a dime during the bailout bounced back just as strong as GM and Chrysler did drawing into question whether the bailout helped at all. All that Obama rescued were members of a key voting block (union workers) by screwing creditors and bondholders.

If GM and Chrysler had filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy, they wouldn't have been liquidated as some liberal economists contend but rather nearly all of their factories would have stayed open during that time and they would have continued making and selling cars and trucks. Bankruptcy would have permitted them to abstain from paying interest and dividend payments for awhile, and to renegotiate union contracts. Under bankruptcy laws, while stockholders would have lost the value of their stocks, bond owners (who have first claim to company assets and profits) would have been paid off[1].

The main result of the bailout that Obama oversaw was that union workers were able to keep their uncompetitively high rates of pay and benefits[2] continuing to handicap the companies as they compete with foreign manufacturers and the whole thing besides robbing Peter (bond holders and creditors) to pay Paul (United Auto Workers union) and shaking confidence in the bond market, ended up costing taxpayers $9.2 billion (all other bailouts by the government ended up turning a profit for the taxpayers)

1. An act that resulted in creating a great deal of insecurity in the bond market which are -- or were -- a safer investment.

2. A study conducted by the Heritage Foundation concluded that the preferential treatment the United Auto Workers got during the bailouts of GM and Chrysler "redistributed $26.5 billion more to the UAW than it would have received had it been treated as it usually would in bankruptcy proceedings."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                              I don't get what's to be angry about here? The company is staying. There's less taxes on them without it costing the state more. It's a good deal.

Actually, if the OP is correct, the point is valid. Trump would be doing something he said he opposed. I'm dubious that he really intentioned to never offer tax benefits to any company. I didn't follow the election until fairly late so I'm willing to give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

But valid point or not, it's a minor point at best. No politician gets a perfect record - the world is way too messy for that. As long as the citizens see a net benefit, I don't see grounds for much complaint, beyond the 'he didn't do what he said' part.

It looked to me like he just wanted to put a thumb in an eye with the OP.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post

Um, what?

You do know Clinton is white, right? While I'll grant voter behavior can be pretty silly at times (hint: if you want to be elected, have an Anglo-Saxon last name no matter where you're running. Weird, but true), generally they don't vote based on a trait if both candidates have that trait.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment