Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

If Free Will exists, then Mind underlies the physical universe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    This is a bit confusing. So the physical world is just a dream generated by a mind, but our own minds are what, fundemental, not generated, part of an all encompassing mind, god, or what?
    Our minds are fundamental. As to whether they are part of God or not, I cannot say.
    -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
    Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
      I might have miscommunicated here, but mind can only be aware or dormant in this framework. The first two are the only options.
      I understand that to be your claim. I find it somewhat incoherent and contradictory with other things you've stated. Take a rock. You claim this is made of mind but it's in a dormant state. Something can't be classified as active or dormant unless it has that thing which can be in either state. Thus, to be dormant, a rock must have a mind. Its other possible state would be a mind that is aware. In either case, it must have a mind.

I don't think you intend to claim that rocks have minds, which is why I suggested a third category. It's also why I mentioned figments of imagination. This gives you a category of things that are mind-dependent (created by a mind) but do not have minds themselves. They may or may not technically exist depending on how strict you want to get equating mind with existence.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by grmorton View Post
        Searle is correct that science can not tell us why we feel warm, or cold, or for that matter angry. No granite or rubber ball as ever reported to me that they are angry.
        He's not, actually. We know why warm feels warm. We could, given the time, establish temperature correlations for warm and cold. The messy part is that it's specific to an individual. It's not that science is incapable, but that its the wrong tool for the job.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Jude View Post
          I appreciate your post. This is an issue that, though I knew it existed and have followed along a few threads about, I usually lose interest once it becomes detailed and scholastic beyond my paygrade. But the clear explanation of your thought process on this has raised a question that I would like to ask at the risk of further exhibiting my lack of knowledge on the subject: Could the existence of qualia point to free will and God in this way? Free will exist in a large part in what we allow ourselves to be exposed to via our senses. What we hear, see, feel. What influences us. This in turn will develop our beliefs. Once our beliefs are entrenched we are on a determined course based on them. But we have the free will to change beliefs when exposed to new input and can change course. This, to me is the message of the Bible. What we believe is deterministic.
          No. Qualia doesn't point to free will. Qualia involves problems of consciousness and knowledge. Free will is something else entirely. Nothing about changing beliefs when exposed to new information requires free will.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
            I understand that to be your claim. I find it somewhat incoherent and contradictory with other things you've stated. Take a rock. You claim this is made of mind but it's in a dormant state. Something can't be classified as active or dormant unless it has that thing which can be in either state. Thus, to be dormant, a rock must have a mind. Its other possible state would be a mind that is aware. In either case, it must have a mind.

I don't think you intend to claim that rocks have minds, which is why I suggested a third category. It's also why I mentioned figments of imagination. This gives you a category of things that are mind-dependent (created by a mind) but do not have minds themselves. They may or may not technically exist depending on how strict you want to get equating mind with existence.
            What do you mean by 'have a mind'? I think that it is made of mind itself (or at least that which the rock is composed of). The rock is mind.
            -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
            Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
            Sir Isaac Newton

Comment