Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zoroaster

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Zoroaster

My mom keeps talking about the guy. I need to know as much as I can about it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    My mom keeps talking about the guy. I need to know as much as I can about it.
    What does she say? From that you'll know what angle your studying ought to take.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Things like
    The hebrews got their concept of monotheism from the zoroastrians.
    That the bible was influenced by the zoroastrians during the persian and babylonian exiles.
    That angels are Ahuras.
    Weird stuff.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I know that it is all nonsense. The issue is I can not prove it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well, you may have already read the stuff on Tektonics, but it might help to link to them here if you haven't searched there yet.

http://www.tektonics.org/copycat/zoroaster.php

http://www.tektonics.org/guest/antzoro.htm

If you really want to dig deep, you will need to read the Avestas, and other Zoroastrian works. Hopefully it's more enlightening, and less disturbing than going through the Islamic texts.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have been interested in reading the works of other religions.
    The Vedas. The Gathas. The book of Mormon. Ect. I know the bible can standup to criticism. I doubt these books could.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    First thing to consider is that nobody actually knows when Zoroaster (a.k.a., Zarathustra) lived. While some place him around 1000 BC the majority of scholars think he more likely lived somewhere between 600500 BC., roughly around the same time as Cyrus the Great. If that is indeed the case then David, Isaiah and Jeremiah (who all mention monotheism, the Messiah, the Resurrection...), lived and wrote well before Zoroaster's time making it impossible for Zoroaster to be the source of these things.

Moreover, it is extremely difficult to determine what exactly he taught as opposed to what modern adherents declare he taught since the only source of his teachings are the Avesta and the oldest copy of that dates from the 13th cent. AD. We just don't have any idea what was taught in the early years as compared to what is taught now.

Finally, I'm not entirely sure that Zoroastrianism can truly be considered monotheistic since it was dualistic with Ohrmazd (a.k.a., Ahura Mazda) representing the good (and definitely not omnipotent) and Ahriman (a.k.a., Angra Mainyu) who created everything bad or destructive. There relation is a bit confusing with the modern view being that Ohrmazd created Ahriman but one old tradition makes them twins -- the sons of Zurvān ("Time").

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

8. Amen Cerebrum123, TheWall amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I did a deep study on this recently and came up with a two-part essay giving details about when Zarathustra lived according to the religion's own documents. It details how key figures like Baron Bunsen, Martin Haug and Mary Boyce fell for the notion that the Zarathustra and the Gathas date back to about 1500-2000 BC, thus coming to the conclusion that they predated Moses. It amounts to 30 pages, single spaced. I don't know if I would be permitted to post something that large. But it makes interesting reading for Christmas, as it gives detail on the magi, and later beliefs that they were seeking a virgin-born figure known as Saoshyant.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Cool beans faber.

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faber View Post
    I did a deep study on this recently and came up with a two-part essay giving details about when Zarathustra lived according to the religion's own documents. It details how key figures like Baron Bunsen, Martin Haug and Mary Boyce fell for the notion that the Zarathustra and the Gathas date back to about 1500-2000 BC, thus coming to the conclusion that they predated Moses. It amounts to 30 pages, single spaced. I don't know if I would be permitted to post something that large. But it makes interesting reading for Christmas, as it gives detail on the magi, and later beliefs that they were seeking a virgin-born figure known as Saoshyant.
    If you save it to a pdf and it comes to under 2MB you can upload it. (you have to go to the advanced reply screen and click on Manage Attachments.)

If it's bigger than 2MB, then let me know and I'll come up with some other plans.

So Yes, you have permission to post something so large.
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III