Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Mike Pence and evolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Pence and evolution

The tragic problem of the prevalence of the rejection of the science of evolution among evangelical Christians rears its ugly head of dishonest self imposed intellectual ignorance in the Vice-President elect Mike Pence.

Appointments of Sarah Palin and Ben Carson, both opponents of the science of evolution and manure spreaders of archaic false information concerning science make the prospect of the near future of science in our government dismal at best.

The appointment of Betsy DeVos as head of the Department of Education is even more tragic considering her sympathetic views toward Intelligent Design and Biblical Creationism.

The consequences are ominous in terms of future funding of science and support by the US government.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/shaenamontanari/2016/11/10/vp-elect-mike-pence-does-not-accept-evolution-heres-why-that-matters/#5987880a1977

In a 2002, Mike Pence delivered a speech in the House of Representatives, a passionate repudiation of evolution aimed at continuing the common rhetorical device of evolution deniers: that evolution is just a theory and should be presented as such.

Pence begins by discussing Charles Darwin talking about how he “offered a theory of the origin of species which we’ve come to know as evolution. Charles Darwin never thought of evolution as anything other than a theory. He hoped that someday it would be proven by the fossil record but did not live to see that, nor have we.” I have previously written about Darwin never seeing the fossils that would later support his theory, so I and most other paleontologists completely disagree that support for Darwin’s idea has never been found.

He goes on to bemoan the Scopes Monkey Trial saying we have have “seen the consequences” in the following years, lamenting the fact the biblical story of creation is not taught in every biology class around the country alongside Darwin. It is unclear if Pence is either willfully or unknowingly misrepresenting the scientific definition of the word “theory”. In scientific terms, a theory is the highest designation of knowledge and represents something that has been rigorously tested using the scientific method. 98% of scientists surveyed believe humans evolved over time, so among experts, this is not a debate anyone is having.

Pence finds good company in the American public though. A 2014 survey by the Pew Research Center indicates while 62% of adults say humans have evolved over time, 33% say this change is solely due to natural processes, with 25% saying evolution is guided by a supreme being. This response is strongly influenced by religious affiliation, with 91% of atheists accepting evolution through natural processes compared with 21% of Christians. This is roughly in line with the 2006 study by Jon Miller and colleagues that shows the USA on the bottom of the pile when ranking the percentage of people who responded “true” to the statement “Human Beings, as we know them, developed from earlier species of animals.”

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-06-2016, 08:37 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]19936[/ATTACH]

Attached Files
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        And we are off to a great start

Seriously though - there is a problem. Science does not proceed by ideaology, it proceeds according to certain rules, certain processes and methodologies. Those processes and methodologies have produced the current set of conclusions on the history of life on the planet Earth, it's likely natural causes, and the current consensus mankind is likely a powerful influence in the current climate change that we are seeing (otherwise known as Anthropogenic Global Warming).

Polititians and Religious institutions really should have little no voice in the process or direction of the research, nor on its conclusions. Scientists must be free to follow the data, and reason according to the logical conclusions implied by that data without fear of interference from ideological sources. (It also must vigilantely police itself against internal forces or individuals that might try to do the same). Otherwise we return to the days of the inquisition and the suppression of knowledge based on religious or other ideological preference. This needs to be fought regardless of it's source. Regardless of whether the current scientific conscensus confirms or undermines our specific world view.

Jim
        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-06-2016, 10:41 AM.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          And we are off to a great start

Seriously though - there is a problem. Science does not proceed by ideaology, it proceeds according to certain rules, certain processes and methodologies. Those processes and methodologies have produced the current set of conclusions on the history of life on the planet Earth, it's likely natural causes, and the current consensus mankind is likely a powerful influence in the current climate change that we are seeing (otherwise known as Anthropogenic Global Warming).

Polititians and Religious institutions really should have little no voice in the process or direction of the research, nor on its conclusions. Scientists must be free to follow the data, and reason according to the logical conclusions implied by that data without fear of interference from ideological sources. (It also must vigilantely police itself against internal forces or individuals that might try to do the same). Otherwise we return to the days of the inquisition and the suppression of knowledge based on religious or other ideological preference. This needs to be fought regardless of it's source. Regardless of whether the current scientific conscensus confirms or undermines our specific world view.

Jim
          But the researchers are always looking for funding, and when it comes from public sources, politicians (directly) and often religious institutions (indirectly) will be involved.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

The tragic problem of the prevalence of the rejection of the science of evolution among evangelical Christians rears its ugly head of dishonest self imposed intellectual ignorance in the Vice-President elect Mike Pence.

Appointments of Sarah Palin and ...
            Sarah Palin hasn't actually been appointed to anything yet, right? I hope not.
            βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
            ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
              But the researchers are always looking for funding, and when it comes from public sources, politicians (directly) and often religious institutions (indirectly) will be involved.
              Yep - that is where is gets messy. Public money for Scientific research that runs afoul of the beliefs of those force to donate can ruffle feathers. Same things within the arts - only it's worse there. Good judgement and education of the public of the overall benefits of both to a society such as ours would go a long way to reducing the conflicts.

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                Sarah Palin hasn't actually been appointed to anything yet, right? I hope not.
                It may be premature, but . . .

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/sarah-palin-consideration-va-secretary/story?id=43878336

Sarah Palin is under consideration for secretary of veterans affairs, a close Palin aide and a top Donald Trump transition official told ABC News.

The Palin aide said that Palin recently told Trump transition officials, "I feel as though the megaphone I have been provided can be used in a productive and positive way to help those desperately in need."

The Department of Veterans Affairs is the largest government agency, with over 300,000 federal employees and a budget of $182 billion for 2017.

Palin's son-in-law and Medal of Honor recipient Dakota Meyer posted a SarahPAC video to his Facebook page earlier this week, with excerpts from a speech she gave that heavily focuses on her work with veterans and her connection to the community. Her eldest son, Track Palin, served in Iraq in 2008. The video, which is not new, seems to clearly show her interest in the position, and in he speech she hits the VA "bureaucracy," saying it is "killing our vets."

© Copyright Original Source

Frank

Comment

At one she had also been mentioned as a potential Secretary of the Interior.

Comment

At one she had also been mentioned as a potential Secretary of the Interior.
                    But mentioned by whom? There are a lot of rumors flying about (which Trump either supports or tolerates) with the same names appearing on lists for different positions.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      But mentioned by whom? There are a lot of rumors flying about (which Trump either supports or tolerates) with the same names appearing on lists for different positions.
                      Trump said something last January (when Palin endorsed him) about her playing a potental role in his administration. Last month there was some unidentified source in the Trump campaign who supposedly said she was being considered specifically for Interior.

Comment

Trump said something last January (when Palin endorsed him) about her playing a potental role in his administration. Last month there was some unidentified source in the Trump campaign who supposedly said she was being considered specifically for Interior.
                        I believe the possible appointment as the head of the Veterns Administration is better substantiated, but than again no appointment has been made publicly by Trump.

Frank

Comment

I believe the possible appointment as the head of the Veterns Administration is better substantiated, but than again no appointment has been made publicly by Trump.
                          It is also more recent. There was a lot of flak in response to the Department of Interior leak.

Comment