Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

I Need Some Homework Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need Some Homework Help

Good morning, everyone. I have an assignment for my Leadership Skills in Ministry class that I need some help on. I'm supposed to talk to some Pastors (though I will also take Deacons as well as laity) four questions. If any one within those categories would be willing to answer those questions here or via PM to me, I'd be very grateful. Here are the questions:

1) How much time in the Word do you spend apart from a sermon?

2) How much time do you spend in prayer daily?

3) Do you, as a minister ever feel like a social worker with too much to do and not enough time to accomplish it?

and 4) How much time do you spend memorizing passages and books of the Bible? What is the biggest obstacle to memorizing?

If anyone can help me with this assignment this weekend, I would very much appreciate it!

I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
    Good morning, everyone. I have an assignment for my Leadership Skills in Ministry class that I need some help on. I'm supposed to talk to some Pastors (though I will also take Deacons as well as laity) four questions. If any one within those categories would be willing to answer those questions here or via PM to me, I'd be very grateful. Here are the questions:
    I was a youth pastor for 15 years. Do I count?

Several hours a day. Doing counter-cult ministry at the same time, and being a moderator on TWeb makes time in the Word critical.

Maybe an hour, to my shame...

3) Do you, as a minister ever feel like a social worker with too much to do and not enough time to accomplish it?
    That's life, TBH. If it weren't for counseling, planning, preaching, preparing, meetings, etc, there was also family obligations, work, military service, and I was in school. There was never enough time. You just prioritize the best you can, and pray for mercy.

and 4) How much time do you spend memorizing passages and books of the Bible? What is the biggest obstacle to memorizing?
    VERY little. I find that a memorized verse becomes a platitude far too quickly. The biggest obstacle for me was realizing that. Tossing out a verse for a situation can be useful, but it was far too often a knee-jerk reaction instead of a well-thought out answer.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      I was a youth pastor for 15 years. Do I count?

Several hours a day. Doing counter-cult ministry at the same time, and being a moderator on TWeb makes time in the Word critical.

Maybe an hour, to my shame...

That's life, TBH. If it weren't for counseling, planning, preaching, preparing, meetings, etc, there was also family obligations, work, military service, and I was in school. There was never enough time. You just prioritize the best you can, and pray for mercy.

VERY little. I find that a memorized verse becomes a platitude far too quickly. The biggest obstacle for me was realizing that. Tossing out a verse for a situation can be useful, but it was far too often a knee-jerk reaction instead of a well-thought out answer.
      Bill, you more than count! Thank you!
      I am Punkinhead.

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post

That's really hard to quantify, because a lot of times, my "sermon" comes from my reading, rather than my reading being related to my sermon. On Mondays, I know this might sound bad, but I try to "clear my head" and start over on Tuesdays. So, on Tuesdays, I'm reading and studying for my Wednesday night teaching, and on Thursday, I focus on texts related to my Sunday Sermon. In addition to that, I always try to do the "Proverbs Reading Program" () which is simply reading whatever chapter of Proverbs corresponds to the day of the month - Today's the 10th - I read Proverbs 10.

Morning quiet time of at least 30 minutes - several shorter times during the day, and a 30 minute or so period as I'm going to sleep. I like to go to sleep praying.

I used to. Til Dirty Harry said "A man has got to know his limitations". (seriously, that made me think! ) I have focused on training people to help carry the load and to minister to one another - that helps a whole lot. And I also realize when counseling is "over my head", and will refer people to persons more qualified than myself in that particular area.

This is an interesting one. ALL of my scripture memory is in the KJV, but I like to teach and preach out of the HCSB. The problem is that when I'm reading aloud in the HCSB a section of scripture that I had memorized in the KJV, I tend to stumble -- and I often used both to contrast. So, I guess for now, I'm not actively trying to "memorize", per say --- but I'm conscious that I need to. Particularly as I get older, it helps to keep my mind sharp. (If Rouge reads this, maybe I should say "less dull")

If anyone can help me with this assignment this weekend, I would very much appreciate it!

Anything else, Punkinhead?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Anything else, Punkinhead?
          I love you, Creacher. You're amazing. Thank you!
          I am Punkinhead.

Comment

15 to 30 min daily (Longer if I'm a chapter with every name but Mxtlplic!)

2) How much time do you spend in prayer daily? Formal? 30 min to an hour. Informal - probably 5 min each hour.

3) Do you, as a minister ever feel like a social worker with too much to do and not enough time to accomplish it? I did as a supply pastor.

and 4) How much time do you spend memorizing passages and books of the Bible? What is the biggest obstacle to memorizing? None. N/A
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X