Announcement

Collapse

Islam Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Islam. This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Mawlid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Us vs them division---So what is your opinion on "American exceptionalism"? an ideology on which most U.S. presidential campaigns run and on which much of U.S. foreign policy is based?

American exceptionalism is one of three related ideas. The first is that the history of the United States is inherently different from other nations. In this view, American exceptionalism stems from its emergence from the American Revolution, thereby becoming what political scientist Seymour Martin Lipset called "the first new nation" and developing a uniquely American ideology, "Americanism", based on liberty, egalitarianism, individualism, republicanism, democracy and laissez-faire economics. This ideology itself is often referred to as "American exceptionalism." Second is the idea that the US has a unique mission to transform the world. As Abraham Lincoln stated in the Gettysburg address (1863), Americans have a duty to ensure, "government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." Third is the sense that the United States' history and mission give it a superiority over other nations.---https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_exceptionalism

Freedom of religion---how would you define the term "religion"?
    The Quranic word "Deen" often translated as religion---also has wider connotations as "way of life", and "freedom of conscience".
    To what degree is there a "freedom" in a society/nation if all the citizenry must follow values and laws/rules determined and enforced by State institutions?

human rights---who/what determines/authorizes "human" rights?---God?, Nature?, Human beings? To discuss rights without the balancing framework of responsibility is to turn "rights" into unmerited privileges/entitlements claimed by one group over others....?....

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
      Just wrapping up a near finished semester. I'll pull out decorations tomorrow. How are you enjoying your December?
      I will become busy with family functions and travel..but at the moment still have a bit of time on my hands....

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
        I didn't know we had a Muslim Twebber. I'm very happy to meet you!
        We used to have many Muslims here when I was around (8 or so years ago). Some became Christians, while others are perhaps still lurking.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X