Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: What is Dark Energy?

  1. #11
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    39,924
    Amen (Given)
    3710
    Amen (Received)
    18624
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    It's a lot like Vulcan, made up to make their models "work".
    They are doing the same thing now with a search for a planet beyond Pluto to explain abberations in it's orbit. Could be real, could be fudge.

    I was watching a show on the Science channel regarding Dark Matter and the scientists interviewed even said they had no idea what it was, and it could turn out to be nonexistent if a better theory came along. It is a fudge factor. It could be real or it could not be. I am leaning toward not, because it is too weird. Invisible mass? all around us, but we can't see it or measure it?

  2. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
  3. #12
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16,842
    Amen (Given)
    5146
    Amen (Received)
    9687
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    They are doing the same thing now with a search for a planet beyond Pluto to explain abberations in it's orbit. Could be real, could be fudge.

    I was watching a show on the Science channel regarding Dark Matter and the scientists interviewed even said they had no idea what it was, and it could turn out to be nonexistent if a better theory came along. It is a fudge factor. It could be real or it could not be. I am leaning toward not, because it is too weird. Invisible mass? all around us, but we can't see it or measure it?
    We can generally only see matter because it radiates or reflects energy. Dark matter is only dark because it does not do so at detectable levels. We can infer its presence where it partially blocks light (interstellar dust clouds) or causes gravitational lensing (presumably something massive like a black hole). The fudge factor is whether or not there is enough of it to cause, e.g., the galactic rotational effects we observe.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  4. #13
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    39,924
    Amen (Given)
    3710
    Amen (Received)
    18624
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    We can generally only see matter because it radiates or reflects energy. Dark matter is only dark because it does not do so at detectable levels. We can infer its presence where it partially blocks light (interstellar dust clouds) or causes gravitational lensing (presumably something massive like a black hole). The fudge factor is whether or not there is enough of it to cause, e.g., the galactic rotational effects we observe.
    It supposedly makes up the majority of the universe. Yet we can't see it. It also means that it should be right here among us. So why can't we find it on Earth? or in our Solar System? Why does it only exist "out there?" Why are we so special that it doesn't exist right here?


    also "dark" in Dark matter and energy doesn't refer to it being dark, but being "unknown"

  5. #14
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16,842
    Amen (Given)
    5146
    Amen (Received)
    9687
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    It supposedly makes up the majority of the universe. Yet we can't see it. It also means that it should be right here among us. So why can't we find it on Earth? or in our Solar System? Why does it only exist "out there?" Why are we so special that it doesn't exist right here?
    Matter in the solar system is generally close enough to the sun and reflective enough that it can eventually be spotted, and thus is not "dark."
    also "dark" in Dark matter and energy doesn't refer to it being dark, but being "unknown"
    Well, it's unknown because we can't see it - i.o.w., it's dark.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  6. #15
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    39,924
    Amen (Given)
    3710
    Amen (Received)
    18624
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Matter in the solar system is generally close enough to the sun and reflective enough that it can eventually be spotted, and thus is not "dark."

    Well, it's unknown because we can't see it - i.o.w., it's dark.
    The problem is that scientists don't think it is "normal" matter that we just can't see. It takes up most of the universe I believe. So that means that we should see things that mass 2 to 3 times normal here in our own solar system (and on Earth!) and we don't.

    Roughly 80 percent of the mass of the universe is made up of material that scientists cannot directly observe. Known as dark matter, this bizarre ingredient does not emit light or energy.

    ...Most scientists think that dark matter is composed of non-baryonic matter. The lead candidate, WIMPS (weakly interacting massive particles), have ten to a hundred times the mass of a proton, but their weak interactions with "normal" matter make them difficult to detect. Neutralinos, massive hypothetical particles heavier and slower than neutrinos, are the foremost candidate, though they have yet to be spotted. The smaller neutral axion and the uncharched photinos are also potential placeholders for dark matter.

    A third possibility exists that the laws of gravity that have thus far successfully described the motion of objects within the solar system require revision.
    http://www.space.com/20930-dark-matter.html
    More is unknown than is known. We know how much dark energy there is because we know how it affects the universe's expansion. Other than that, it is a complete mystery. But it is an important mystery. It turns out that roughly 68% of the universe is dark energy. Dark matter makes up about 27%. The rest - everything on Earth, everything ever observed with all of our instruments, all normal matter - adds up to less than 5% of the universe. Come to think of it, maybe it shouldn't be called "normal" matter at all, since it is such a small fraction of the universe.
    https://science.nasa.gov/astrophysic...is-dark-energy

  7. #16
    tWebber Christianbookworm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northern Hemisphere
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    8,764
    Amen (Given)
    5114
    Amen (Received)
    1619
    So, we still are that youngster that thinks he has a handle on a subject, but doesn't fully realize the amount of knowledge he still lacks?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

  8. #17
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    39,924
    Amen (Given)
    3710
    Amen (Received)
    18624
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    So, we still are that youngster that thinks he has a handle on a subject, but doesn't fully realize the amount of knowledge he still lacks?
    no. scientists are aware that they have no real idea what dark matter and energy are and that they might just be fudge factors.

  9. #18
    tWebber 37818's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    So. California
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,095
    Amen (Given)
    810
    Amen (Received)
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    The extra mass could be caused by some other phenomena that we have not discovered yet, or some change in our calculation regarding gravity, or any other number of other things. Sure adding "dark matter" fixes the problem, but that is because it is a "fudge factor" and that is what fudge factors do. They provide a solution to a problem until the ACTUAL solution comes along. When astronomers believed in epicycles, they had to explain why planets seemed to go backwards in their orbits every so often. Well epicycles explained it perfectly and the math worked out exactly! Did that mean that epicycles were real? No. Because once they realize that the Earth went around the sun and so did the planets, then the retrograde problem went away because Earth was orbiting faster than the outer planets so they appeared to go backwards when we overtook them in our orbit.

    Nobody knows what dark matter is. It is just a label for unknown mass needed to explain certain observations. I personally think it makes more sense to believe that it is a flaw in our science and formulas, than there is some mysterious matter out there that we can't see or detect in any way but it has mass and yet no other physicality.
    Actually there is a theory that the gravitational effect of relativity is the cause of the extra mass.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

    . . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

    Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

  10. #19
    tWebber Christianbookworm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northern Hemisphere
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    8,764
    Amen (Given)
    5114
    Amen (Received)
    1619
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    no. scientists are aware that they have no real idea what dark matter and energy are and that they might just be fudge factors.
    Was that the Enlightenment period? AKA the time period where Europe got Sophomore Syndrome! At least we now admit when we don't know something. Or am I exaggerating early modern European arrogance?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

  11. #20
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    39,924
    Amen (Given)
    3710
    Amen (Received)
    18624
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    Actually there is a theory that the gravitational effect of relativity is the cause of the extra mass.
    I am not a scientist but I am leaning toward "There is something fundamental that we don't understand about how the universe expands yet" Than that there is actually extra mass and energy at all. Occam's Razor and all that. It is far more likely that we just don't understand something crucial yet, than 80% of the universe is made up of undetectable mass and energy that magically expands the universe.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •