Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Ad Blockers and News Sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ad Blockers and News Sources

I've noticed more and more sites - particularly news sites - are having a pop-up announcing "you have an ad blocker...." and forcing you to turn off ad blocker for their site, or pay a subscription. Some of them let you visit their site 3 times or so, then start the blocking.

I HATE their ads, because so many times, you're trying to read the text, and the screen keeps jumping around as ads are inserted here and there, reformatting the page in the process.

There.

I ranted.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Please remove your ad blocker for this page if you wish to post on Theologyweb.

Comment

Normally when I get the ad blocker or pay wall thing, I just google for another source of the article. Everyone copies the same stories from each other nowadays anyway so you can find the same story on at least half a dozen sites or blogs. If they want to stop me from reading their article because I have an ad blocker, then fine, I won't read their site. They just lost my patronage and I can go somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Normally when I get the ad blocker or pay wall thing, I just google for another source of the article. Everyone copies the same stories from each other nowadays anyway so you can find the same story on at least half a dozen sites or blogs. If they want to stop me from reading their article because I have an ad blocker, then fine, I won't read their site. They just lost my patronage and I can go somewhere else.
        I recently posted a link to a site with an ad blocker message, because the other source was Breitbart and I didn't want the loyal opposition to have a fainting spell.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          I recently posted a link to a site with an ad blocker message, because the other source was Breitbart and I didn't want the loyal opposition to have a fainting spell.
          That's half the fun! You post an article from a site that you know they will complain is fake, then to shut them up, you give them the same story from a source they can't dispute.

Comment

If ads weren't so obtrusive and full of malware, we wouldn't block them! Newsflash! If your ads are well behaved, they will pass the adblock!
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

EGGzackly, and I figure their analytics detects that, and maybe they'll get a clue that their "readership" is actually down because of their greed.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's half the fun! You post an article from a site that you know they will complain is fake, then to shut them up, you give them the same story from a source they can't dispute.
                What are you - some kind of troll magnet or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  What are you - some kind of troll magnet or something?
                  That would be ACTUAL trolling, thenk yew very much.

Comment