Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Rogue One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
    Second biggest opening ever for the month of December. That's some popular "garbage" there.
    There's a lot of popular garbage, like the prequels which also made George Lucas a lot of money and which are objectively garbage.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      There's a lot of popular garbage, like the prequels which also made George Lucas a lot of money and which are objectively garbage.
      I see that you don't understand what "objectively" means. Personally, I consider Highlander 2 and Aliens 3 to be garbage, but I wouldn't say that even those movies are objectively garbage.
      Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

I see that you don't understand what "objectively" means. Personally, I consider Highlander 2 and Aliens 3 to be garbage, but I wouldn't say that even those movies are objectively garbage.
        I think there are some things that can make a film "objectively" bad. From a technical perspective the quality of the script, the acting, the direction, cinematography, FX, lighting, and the like can all play parts in deciding whether or not a film is of the same caliber as other films created within the same period, location and genre. I think it's possible to use tools, and an expert eye to critique a film in the same way that someone could any other piece of craftsmanship. When you look at the work of someone like Ed Wood, or Uwe Boll, or Tommy Wiseau, there is no way that one can honestly say that the craftsmanship of those films are comparable to the very best from Stanley Kubrick, Carl Theodor Dreyer, or Akiro Kurosawa. The amount of time and talent that went into the films of the previous three are no way comparable to that of the later three. It's not even close. That's not to say that audiences can't still enjoy the works of Wood, Boll, and Wiseau, but using very objective measurements of craftsmanship, they're nothing like Kubrick, Dreyer, and Kurosawa.

The Prequels definitely suffer from some very real issues, including narrative, dialogue, acting, and direction. Again, they can be enjoyed despite these issues, but they're objectively poorly crafted films.

Comment

You seem to be under some strange delusion that your opinion on the matter even matters. My opinion trumps that of the millions of idiots who make Disney rich.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

You seem to be under some strange delusion that your opinion on the matter even matters. My opinion trumps that of the millions of idiots who make Disney rich.

Don't ever change DE.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              I think there are some things that can make a film "objectively" bad.
              Oh, sure. We can conclude that films like The Castle of Fu Manchu and Plan 9 from Outer Space are objectively bad. I don't like the tendency of some to jump from one extreme to another, though. It's either great or garbage. I prefer to think that the Star Wars prequels are somewhere in-between, with some good elements mixed in with some not-so-good elements.
              Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

The prequels dialogue alone is so overwhelmingly bad the film strips would jump off the reel and strangle Lucas to death if they could.

Comment

DE speaking as one who was disappointed with episodes 1-3, when I saw "rogue one" I was yes they brought the real Star Wars back to what is was. until you see it you are making an uninformed judgement.

Comment

Your opinion does not trump those who went to see the movie. You refuse to go see it. You are speaking from ignorance not from knowledge.

Comment

The prequels dialogue alone is so overwhelmingly bad the film strips would jump off the reel and strangle Lucas to death if they could.
                      you haven't seen rogue one how do you know it is same as the episodes 1-3 prequels you can't can you DE. you are speaking from ignorance not knowledge.

Comment

Sadly I will have to see it tomorrow since I have free tickets, but I don't have to see it to know it's commercialized garbage. The fact that they have the guy from Ip Man doing kung fu in it is reason enough to think it was largely written by Disney's marketing department with some SJW input for good measure.

Comment

Saw it earlier, it was every bit the soylent cinema I was expecting it to be. There was 5, maybe 10 minutes in this entire film that didn't have me asking "why was this made?"

Comment

Eh, I didn't like it. Cinematically, I thought it was well done. Did drag a bit to begin with but not so badly that I'd really complain. It had little moments I loved but the conclusion, while predictable, wasn't satisfying - not as a Star Wars movie, anyway.

The original trilogy soared not just on the film making but with hope. This one felt hopeless from the beginning and when it finally gets there, it kills that hope. Little bits of data aren't hope - people are. God is.

Least ways, to me.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment