Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rogue One

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    I love going to a crowded theater for these types of films. Seeing the audience react to something on screen puts a smile on my face. It means that the film's creators connected with their audience somehow. I mean, sometimes that ticks me off, like in the case of Transformers 2 where the audience seemed to think that stupid film was the funniest thing they'd ever seen. I literally couldn't stand it anymore, and had to walk out, but most of the time I love it. When people jump at a good jump scare in a horror film, it makes me smile. Or when an audience is sobbing when ET finally goes home, it breaks my heart. I love seeing the power of film on an audience. It's a big reason I go to the theater.
    Too busy watching the movie to pay attention to those watching it unless they're being disruptive

I'm always still in trouble again

2. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Too busy watching the movie to pay attention to those watching it unless they're being disruptive
    I usually rather just wait for a movie to come out on Netflix. About the only movies I will go to see in the theater are Star Trek movies, but that is only because it has become a tradition for me and some old friends to go to Trek movies together. Kinda like a reunion.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Eh, I mean, I'm watching the film too, but I'm rarely so engrossed that I can't look around the room once in awhile and watch others enjoying it. There's just something so communal about the movie theater going experience. It's an over hundred year old tradition. I think it's sad that that experience is now considered such a nuisance to so many people, and I imagine someday that tradition will be gone.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    When I was watching Force Awakens in a packed theater and Han and Chewie showed up for the first time, some guy yelled, "Yeah!" It was funny.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

"Metal is an apple--everything's good but the core."

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I just watched it. I was blown away. It came off a little slow and clumsy in the beginning, but it kept building momentum. 5/5, and that's the only movie I've given that rating this year.

Exactly the sort of movie they should have made after Episode 6.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    I just watched it. I was blown away. It came off a little slow and clumsy in the beginning, but it kept building momentum. 5/5, and that's the only movie I've given that rating this year.

Gah, you're inflating my expectations!
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

"Metal is an apple--everything's good but the core."

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    Gah, you're inflating my expectations!
    Its a dark gritty tale for sure. And it doesn't fall into blindly copying the formula of earlier films. Its something old, something new, something borrowed, something Star Wars.

9. Amen Zymologist amen'd this post.
    Faith
    N/A
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    I love going to a crowded theater for these types of films. Seeing the audience react to something on screen puts a smile on my face. It means that the film's creators connected with their audience somehow. I mean, sometimes that ticks me off, like in the case of Transformers 2 where the audience seemed to think that stupid film was the funniest thing they'd ever seen. I literally couldn't stand it anymore, and had to walk out, but most of the time I love it. When people jump at a good jump scare in a horror film, it makes me smile. Or when an audience is sobbing when ET finally goes home, it breaks my heart. I love seeing the power of film on an audience. It's a big reason I go to the theater.
    I'm very introverted. Crowds make me uncomfortable.
    Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post

And now you've made me want to go see it ASAP instead of next week. Thanks for that.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    I'm very introverted. Crowds make me uncomfortable.
    I used to be that way to some extent, but then I started attending a mixed black and white church with lots of very extroverted type praise and worship, and the pastor was good at breaking people of their inhibitions. I also really love the history of film, and am in the process of completing the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die, and the history of the cinema is obviously tied up into the history of film. Finally, I think Christ put in me a real heart for people. So put all three together, and...I don't know. I think the cinema can be a magical place. Especially in our culture here in the US where people seem so introverted anymore. Rarely do I see my neighbors, or kids playing outside like I did when I was young. People keep to themselves, and a lot of people don't know their neighbor. Don't engage with their community. The theater is one of those last few places where the community engages, and can share a laugh, or a scare, or a tear.

Anyhow, yeah, I guess I get it. I understand why people hate the theater. Loud kids. People hitting your seat. Teens texting. The 40 minute commercials before the film. The super expensive concessions and movie tickets. But I guess my point is is that there's still a lot of good about the experience as well, and it doesn't just come in the form of the latest IMAX screen sizes, and super-surround sound audio. I suppose it's just a matter of perspective.

13. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.