Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rogue One

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Looks like another garbage movie from a garbage studio. I'll probably watch it after it's out on DVD but I'm not paying to see it.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Faith
    N/A
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    Looks like another garbage movie from a garbage studio. I'll probably watch it after it's out on DVD but I'm not paying to see it.
    Second biggest opening ever for the month of December. That's some popular "garbage" there.

Guess what the biggest opening ever for December was.
    Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My best friend is like me - a Star Wars freak. He watched it and said it was almost as good as Empire, which is hands down the greatest movie ever made.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Dun... Dun... Dun... Dun-d'dun, Dun-d'dun.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    My best friend is like me - a Star Wars freak. He watched it and said it was almost as good as Empire, which is hands down the greatest movie ever made.
    I thought it was awesome. My expectations were high, and IMO the movie delivered on every level.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I was really impressed. I really hadn't expected it to be *that* good.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    I was really impressed. I really hadn't expected it to be *that* good.
    I thought it would be good, but yeah. Same.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    Second biggest opening ever for the month of December. That's some popular "garbage" there.

Guess what the biggest opening ever for December was.
    The previous Star Wars movie.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    N/A
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    The previous Star Wars movie.
    Yep. Star Wars: the Force Awakens, which is my favorite Star Wars movie, by the way. Quite a few people think it's garbage for some reason.

I watched Rogue One yesterday, and I thought it was great. Definitely something I'll buy when it comes out on video.
    Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't think it's my favorite Star Wars film, but it was certainly better than the prequels, and i think it gives Force Awakens a run for it's money.

!!!!Spoilers!!!!

Things I loved about the movie was the settings, especially the scene with that insurgent-like Black Hawk Down looking attack on the Empire in the small village, and the WWII Pacific front looking battle at the end. Great ideas that heavily tied into the originals with the WWII theme. Great sense of realism. I also dug how close the film stuck to the 70s sci-fi look of the originals including the long hair combed to the side, sideburns and mustaches. Even the clothes had that simple 70s sci-fi look. And I was heavily impressed with the CGI Cushing and Fisher. I loved loved LOVED that they made Darth Vader an unstoppable threat again. He was scary in this film like I hadn't seen since I was a kid watching the originals.

Things I didn't like so much: I felt the movie slowed down a bit here and there, and was confusing to people not familiar with A New Hope. It was sort of predictable, and while I found the film to be absolutely beautiful, I never had that swell of emotion I got with the original trilogy. I never got attached to any of the characters either. I mean, Force Awakens had more compelling characters in my opinion. I loved that they brought back James Earl Jones, but he is very clearly a much older sounding James Earl Jones, and I don't know why they didn't autotune his voice to make it sound younger. Finally, I was upset that the music wasn't as powerful as the original trilogy. You get bits and pieces of it here and there, but at no point is the music as moving or memorable as the original trilogy, and this was a big complaint of mine with Force Awakens as well. We live in an age where music takes a backseat to mindless action (especially with comic book movies), and I find that a shame.

Overall, I thought it was a very enjoyable film. I'm not sure it was a necessary film, but yeah, it was enjoyable. I was even more surprised that my sister-in-law loved it, since she's not really a big Star Wars nut.

11. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.