Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Lgbt, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    It varies a lot. Mostly there's just indifference, and the subject of this stuff almost taboo.
    That may just be a Denmark thing. I've been to churches all throughout America. Not that the subject comes up that often (most churches I've attended don't spend an inordinate time on the subject), but most churches teach exactly what Sparko said, they welcome homosexuals with arms wide open as sinners like the rest of us, but with the understanding that we are not defined by our sins, that we strive to put our old sin nature behind us, and that through the working of the Holy Spirit we can be transformed into Christ's likeness.

However to many of my lgbt friends (except the ones I could personally reach), a pastor like Steven Anderson of the KJV-Only, Faithful Word Baptist Church, is their image of the church.
    Again, I can't speak for Denmark, but in my experience in America this sort of church is extremely rare. It makes the news occasionally, but mostly because of how rare and out of character it actually is in most American churches.

Comment

However to many of my lgbt friends (except the ones I could personally reach), a pastor like Steven Anderson of the KJV-Only, Faithful Word Baptist Church, is their image of the church.
      That's a very sad thing. You probably couldn't find a "pastor" less representative than Mr. Anderson.
      "The Jesus Christ who saves sinners is the same Christ who beckons his followers to serious use of their minds for serious explorations of the world." - Mark Noll

"It cannot be that the people should grow in grace unless they give themselves to reading." - John Wesley

"Wherever men are still theological, there is still some chance of their being logical." - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        That is precisely why I got involved in helping start the Southern Baptists of Texas (state convention) nearly 20 years ago. The Baptist General Convention of Texas (the original state convention) refused to deal with a Southern Baptist Church in Austin that was boldly boasting on their website of being of church made up of GLBTXQZ, and had GLBT staff members. There were a number of issues building up to that, but the BLGXPTQ issue was 'the final straw'.
        FTR, the BGCT has just voted to remove churches who have expressed pro-LGBT marriage etc. views from "harmonious cooperation." It caused a bit of a stir here at the seminary for some who are afraid they may lose their Baptist scholarships.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
        "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
        Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
          FTR, the BGCT has just voted to remove churches who have expressed pro-LGBT marriage etc. views from "harmonious cooperation." It caused a bit of a stir here at the seminary for some who are afraid they may lose their Baptist scholarships.
          Wait, what????

ETA -- well, THAT's new!!!

Two churches face removal from BGCT due to gay issue

November 9, 2016
          By Ken Camp / Managing Editor

Officials with the Baptist General Convention of Texas notified two churches an affirming stance toward LGBT members places them outside the bounds of “harmonious cooperation” with the state convention.

BGCT Executive Director David Hardage, BGCT President René Maciel and Executive Board Chairman David Russell sent letters Nov. 8 to First Baptist Church in Austin and Wilshire Baptist Church in Dallas.

“We have made no demands of the BGCT that it become welcoming and affirming” of same-sex relationships, said Griff Martin, pastor of First Baptist Church in Austin. “We’ve just asked for a place at the table.”

In the case of Wilshire, Pastor George Mason called the decision by BGCT leaders both “provocative” and “premature,” noting a relevant vote by his congregation has not been completed.

“The outcome is not yet known, and it will not be known until after the convention messengers are seated,” he said, noting Wilshire plans to send messengers to the BGCT annual meeting in Waco, Nov. 14.

The letter to Wilshire frames the congregation’s relationship to the BGCT in terms of “potential withdrawal.”

“Should your church choose to publicly affirm same-sex sexual behavior, the BGCT will no longer be able to accept funds from the church, seat its messengers to the annual meeting, allow the church to express affiliation with the BGCT or allow its members to serve on the BGCT boards, committees or other roles,” the letter states.

And, subsequently...

By JAMIE STENGLE
          Nov. 16, 2016

Martin said their church has ordained gay leadership, celebrated the children of same-sex couples, performed gay weddings and "we will proudly continue to do that."

Removal means that the churches will no longer be allowed to contribute funds to the BGCT, which is involved in education and social ministries, in addition to evangelism and missions. The group includes more than 5,300 Baptist churches in Texas.

"We're trying to give them money to participate in their mission and they're saying, 'We won't take it,'" said Mark Wingfield, associate pastor at Wilshire Baptist Church.

For those who may not know, affiliation with one of the SBC conventions (state, national or local) is pretty easy, usually consisting of giving "a dollar", and the conventions do not "control" the Churches.
          Last edited by Cow Poke; 12-21-2016, 03:00 PM.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Any other ex-military people here who HATE acronyms as much as I do?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              IDK, at least AFAICT.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                IDK, at least AFAICT.
                Translation: Individual Decontamination Kit, at least Air Force Academy/Incident Command Team.

Got it.

Comment

I'm not ex-military, but I hate acronyms. Can I join the AHC (Acronym Hating Club)?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                    I'm not ex-military, but I hate acronyms. Can I join the AHC (Acronym Hating Club)?

Sure! FWIW, you can join PDQ if not ASAP, IMOHBAO.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment