Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Spurgeon quote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spurgeon quote

I saw this the other day, and it had an effect on me. This is the kind of quote that you can really like and hate at the same time.

“Brother, if any man thinks ill of you, do not be angry with him; for you are worse than he thinks you to be. If he charges you falsely on some point, yet be satisfied, for if he knew you better he might change the accusation, and you would be no gainer by the correction. If you have your moral portrait painted, and it is ugly, be satisfied; for it only needs a few blacker touches, and it would be still nearer the truth.”

I'm not sure where or when he said this, but cursory googling seemed to confirm that he did say it.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

I once had a Church Member, years ago, who was bound and determined to get rid of me as Pastor. Apparently, I mentioned something about homosexuality in a sermon, and he was one - I didn't even know.

Anyway, he talked the Deacons into having a special meeting to reveal all of the sin and degradation I had committed in previous Churches. Unfortunately for him, he got all his facts wrong, and his "coup de grâce" was that I had been arrested for homeschooling in the 80's. (To that, the chairman of the Deacons said, "we know all about that - he told us that when we first interviewed him")

After all his accusations were shot down, I told him quite sincerely, "if you had come to me, I could have given you an actual list of mistakes and fumbles I had made, and you wouldn't have had to make any up".

Also, I think of "the accuser of our brothers and sisters, who accuses them before our God day and night", and the fact that he wouldn't have to make up anything about me - there's enough stuff I've done for which I deserve Hell.....

God's Grace! Amazing, eh?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

From The Complete Works of C. H. Spurgeon, Volume 34: Sermons 2001-2061

From a sermon delivered July 1, 1888 at the Metropolitan Tabernacle, Newington.
      Last edited by Cow Poke; 12-15-2016, 11:54 AM.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        I saw this the other day, and it had an effect on me. This is the kind of quote that you can really like and hate at the same time.

“Brother, if any man thinks ill of you, do not be angry with him; for you are worse than he thinks you to be. If he charges you falsely on some point, yet be satisfied, for if he knew you better he might change the accusation, and you would be no gainer by the correction. If you have your moral portrait painted, and it is ugly, be satisfied; for it only needs a few blacker touches, and it would be still nearer the truth.”

I'm not sure where or when he said this, but cursory googling seemed to confirm that he did say it.
        I like the quote as it carries a lot of truth in it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          I like the quote as it carries a lot of truth in it.
          Oh, me too. Same reason I hate it.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I do see the truth in this, and I'm sure there is plenty to condemn me, but I think there could be false charges (like accusing me of being a serial killer) that would be worse than my actual sins (to me anyways). I suppose it depends on whether some sins are really worse than others (they are to people, but I've seen arguments both ways with God).

Comment

Great quote, thanks for sharing. It's notable that the man saying this was also most certainly one of the more holy individuals to have walked the earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post

A couple of weeks ago something like that happened to me. One of my new teachers at college met a former teacher of mine. My former teacher made a comment on me having copied at one of her tests - something I never did. But I chose not to complain, because I know I still did a few shameful things in her course for which I repent. So as we walked away with my other (current) teacher, she said she hadn't thought I had some "dark" past -- to which I just replied "thank God He forgives us and lets us grow" -- to which she agreed.
                We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
                - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
                In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
                Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment