Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Michelle Obama says America is entering a time of hopelessness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michelle Obama says America is entering a time of hopelessness

From The New York Times
    With fewer than 40 days remaining as first lady, Michelle Obama is continuing to reflect on the legacy she and President Obama will leave after having occupied the White House for the last eight years. In a new interview with Oprah Winfrey, the first lady addressed the election outcome and suggested that the U.S. is entering a time of hopelessness.

“We are feeling what not having hope feels like,” Obama told Winfrey in response to a question about whether President Obama had achieved the “hope and change” he promised while campaigning in 2008. As she often did while campaigning for Hillary Clinton, she didn’t mention President-elect Donald Trump by name. But she alluded to the contrast many in the country are feeling since he won the election last month. “We feel the difference now,” she said, noting that her husband had succeeded in keeping his campaign promise of fostering hope. “Hope is necessary. It’s a necessary concept,” she elaborated. “And Barack didn’t just talk about hope because he thought it was a nice slogan to get votes. He and I and so many believed that … what else do you have if you don’t have hope? What do you give your kids if you can’t give them hope?”

Those are philosophical questions that the nation will no doubt begin to grapple with in earnest over the coming months. ....

I went to bed early on November the 8th. I did not want to endure the suspense of whether or not Hillary Clinton was going to win what Barak Obama had characterized as a third term for him.

When I got up early on the 9th and learned that Hillary had been defeated by Trump, I uttered a hearty "Hallelujah!"

I do not know how to structure a pole, but I would not mind if someone more tech savvy than I placed one in this thread.

Is America entering a time of hopelessness?
    or
    Is American entering a time of refreshed hope?
    Last edited by John Reece; 12-17-2016, 08:07 AM.

The only people feeling hopeless are liberals who just watched their agenda be soundly rejected by the American people. The rest of us are feeling more hopeful than we have in almost a decade.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      The only people feeling hopeless are liberals who just watched their agenda be soundly rejected by the American people. The rest of us are feeling more hopeful than we have in almost a decade.
      But the opinion of a basket full of irredeemable deplorables doesn't count.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        But the opinion of a basket full of irredeemable deplorables doesn't count.
        🙂

Comment

This is what is so maddening and disgusting about elitists --- if THEY are not in charge, they think everybody else is too dumb to figure out life.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            This is what is so maddening and disgusting about elitists --- if THEY are not in charge, they think everybody else is too dumb to figure out life.
            And, since they often cite minorities as being adversely affected - think of the RACIST implications of that... ."these poor blacks and hispanics can't POSSIBLY make it without us rich smart overlords". "They'll simply be HOPELESS without us to do their thinking for them, and to give them stuff...."
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by John Reece View Post
              My hope is built on nothing less
              Than Jesus' blood and righteousness

Comment

Originally posted by John Reece View Post
                Nah. It entered that as soon as Clinton and Trump became the candidates.

Comment

Michelle Obama once admitted that she was too stupid to figure out how to feed her kids a healthy meal, and that's why she got involved with school lunches, because she assumed everybody else was just as stupid.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/20...healthy-so-ot/
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

My hope is built on nothing less
                    Than Jesus' blood and righteousness
                    Perfect!

Comment