Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Marcan Priority a Protestant Thing, acc. to Duncan Graham Reid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psstein View Post
    But still, you don't have Prussian theologians using Markan priority as an anti-Catholic tool. I keep using Von Harnack as an example, but there are other ones. Basically, the various "lives of Jesus" attacked Catholicism as untrue to the historical Jesus' message. Those "lives" were largely dependent on Markan priority, but I think the issue is also tied to the idea that Mark is not a particularly Jewish gospel.
    If Marcan priority were openly used in formal theological discourse, the Catholic hangers on might have taken a hint and dropped it.

How about conversations all over any University in Germany "have you heard, while professor so-and-so is sensible, his Pope clings to Matthaean priority!"

And similar.

The Great Omission is that Luke excludes Mark 6:45-8:26, whereas Matthew largely doesn't. So let's say that Luke is ignorant of Matthew (which I think very unlikely, by the way). How do you explain that Luke makes reference to accounts written by others?
    Probably as they came along with exact wording about occasions he knew from own research.

That's not how writing and reading worked in the ancient Mediterranean. You'd be commissioned to write a work and then you'd have it read at a gathering of some sort. You wouldn't be commissioned to write a work for someone's own edification. It seems that Theophilus was the patron of a Christian community of some type, or otherwise a catch-all name for a community of believers.
    Hmmm .... I am a Latinist and half and half Grecist. You'll do well to check that with Classics literature ...

I take it he was a patron, but even so there would still be a reading before those whom he patronised (perhaps Jews up to the reading), while a publication in Church as canonic Gospel is another thing.

I must've missed it. Generally, translations do a poor job of idiomatic expressions or puns, which were fairly common in Second Temple literature (esp. in the Qumran community).
    OK, if Matthew had written in Aramaic it would have contained puns, which are however not bungled in Matthew's Greek.

Why would Matthew have written like Qumran communty itfp?

This is what Clement says, according to Eusebius:
    OK, but this was not quoted straight from stromata or anywhere else.

Seems to concur with Augustinian, so much the better.

Agrammatos generally means unlearned or illiterate, so it's generally meant to mean that Peter was illiterate. The other issue is that the vast majority of people were in fact illiterate (somewhere from 3%-10% were literate, most of whom were probably not Galilean fisherman). Knowledge of the Hebrew Bible was primarily through hearing it preached, not direct reading. That fact makes sense of the errors made in the gospels with regard to Hebrew prophecy.
    "Illiterate" according to WHAT standard?

Acc. to the Temple one.

Does not equal analphabetism, nor imply he was if so still an analphabet when in St Mark's company.

I think the dates of the gospels are more or less arbitrary. They could've been written at any point between the 40s/50s and the early second century. There's been an increasing tendency to date Luke-Acts to the late first/early second century, which I don't see the evidence for. Anyway, to address your point, the reason I say that Mark could be linked to the late first century is that some elements of Mark seem more closely tied to apocryphal literature than the other Synoptic gospels.
    What about the traditional dates, simple as that?

What if that in Mark is confirming "apocryphal literature" rather than dating Mark late?
    http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment